“overnight stay”

Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Ranked #51 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed overnight before flight, pick ups and drop offs are fast and efficient either airport or train station, room fresh and clean. Evening meal and breakfast were a fair price with good quality food, all staff were helpful with any queries. Will use in future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationBewleys, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your kind and honest review referring to your recent stay at Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport.

I do understand that there is a great deal of choice available to you when choosing accommodation in and around the Airport complex and therefore, we a truly grateful for your booking.

It is great to hear that you will consider staying with us again soon and look forward to the opportunity of being able to welcome you back again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here as it's within walking distance from terminal 1 (5 mins straight in front) which is probably quicker than waiting for the complementary shuttle. The rooms are average to good and the restaurant was fairly good value. The fitness room was probably the smallest in the world but you cant have everything!

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport. I am so glad that on the most part you had an enjoyable stay with us.

With regards to the fitness room, we offer this as a courtesy and are aware that it is quite small. Our guests are mostly here for a few hours before or after a flight therefore it is rarely used and we don’t have the demand to make it any bigger at this stage.

I do hope that this hasn't deterred you from staying with us again should the need arise; we look forward to the prospect of being able to welcome you back.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I needed to find a hotel close to Manchester Airport and Bewleys fit the bill perfectly. Nothing overly flash about the hotel but it was clean, quiet and extremely close to the airport. Nice and easy shuttle service that works very well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer

I do hope that you will consider staying with us again soon and look forward to the opportunity of being able to welcome you back again on that occasion.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We arrived by train, no problems with getting shuttle bus from railway station, nor to terminal next day.
Hotel fine for an overnight stop, would not want to stop their any longer. Restaurant food was good, with very pleasant service, though a little expensive.
Would be happy to stay their again before an early morning flight, much better than leaving home in the early hours of the morning! Certainly helped take the stress out of the airport experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for taking the taking the time to review your recent experience at Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport. It was lovely to read that on the most part we were able to provide you with an enjoyable stay that took the stress out of an early morning flight.

I am glad that you would consider staying with us again soon and look forward to the opportunity of being able to welcome you back again to continue to build on the already good impressions.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at Bewleys with my husband and two children in July, for a night before and a night after our holiday abroad. Our first impressions were that it looked dated, and while some staff were pleasant and helpful, others really couldn't be bothered. Our family room was reasonably spacious and well equipped, with 2 comfy double beds, but IT SMELLED. Stale smoke, stale sweat, or just ancient carpets -couldn't quite put my finger on it. The bathroom hadn't been cleaned properly - hairs in the bath, eeeew. It was swelteringly hot which made for a terrible night's sleep, but we didn't want to open the window as there was no safety catch (pretty basic I would have thought) and we were 3 floors up with children.
The food in the restaurant was nice but overpriced, though kids ate free which was good. Breakfast was fine, except there was only one kind of milk, and it didn't say whether it was full cream, semi skimmed or what. Pretty poor.
The kids wanted to go to the play room, which had toddler toys and various games and rides that you had to pay for and was generally rubbish. We had coffee in the bar mid-morning - the bar was absolutely stinking of stale beer due to soggy beer towels that hadn't been removed from the bar. Yuk.
On our stay after our holiday, we were given a different room, and this one was REALLY smelly. Stale smoke and sweat with a hint of peas. Vile. Again, the bathroom had not been cleaned properly - more hairs. The finishing touch was when all the water went off in our room.
The one positive thing about Bewleys is their excellent shuttle to and from the airport - helpful drivers and very efficient service. This isn't enough to save it. I would NEVER stay here again - avoid!!!

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lol B
GuestRelationBewleys, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write your review relating to your recent experience at Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport. I completely understand that we cannot be everybody’s first choice when it comes to accommodation and am disappointed that you did not alert us of your dissatisfaction when you were actually here, when hopefully we would have been able to have made things more comfortable for you.

I can see that there are areas that you found quite alright during your time with us and I thank you for commenting on these also. I was saddened however with your description of the rooms. A number of our rooms have been refurbished more recently than others, and there is a plan in place to bring these older rooms through refurbishment also however, from your description, I am unable to tell which of our rooms you were allocated. We usually get such great comments about the cleanliness of the rooms, which do see a lot of traffic in the busy Airport hotel that we are, but having said that, I am truly sorry that you found this to be lacking during your visits. This is certainly not the impression that we endeavour to create for our guests.

With regards to the lack of water in the morning we had a power cut during the night of your stay and believed this to have not caused anything major. It was only when we started receiving the calls from guests in the morning relating to cold water and indeed no water that we realised that boilers had been affected. I cannot tell from your comments if we were given the opportunity to assist you with this issue in any way, but I hope that if you did make us aware we were able to do everything within our power to rectify this for you.

I am sorry that you have been deterred from staying with us again in the future, however should you ever need accommodation in and around the Airport complex then we look forward to the opportunity of being able to welcome you back.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

On our return from holiday, we stayed over for one night before driving home the next day. We also used the hotel to leave our car for the week. On our return, the bus picked us up without delay, got checked in by friendly staff and slept in a lovely clean spacious room. Would highly recommend the hotel and it's services, will definitely use the hotel again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for taking the time to write your great review for Trip Advisor. I am so glad that we were able to provide you with a convenient, clean and comfortable stay that helped revive you for your journey home.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back and, hopefully, providing you with the same in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

It has always surprised me that some hotels excel in being remarkably average. They don’t seem to realise that with a little more effort they could excel. Bewley’s at Manchester Airport is one of these. It’s remarkably average in everything it does. But, of course, that isn’t a crime. But it does leave you with a slightly deflated feeling.

The rooms are quite basic but everything is there and up to scratch. The beds, the Wi-Fi all the facilities, the decor, the bathroom were all acceptable, yet I was left feeling a bit deflated, a bit like a poor relation.

Operating at the airport must have the room fairly full most of the time, so I guess management don’t feel the need to ramp up the quality and service. But some things like were in need of a revamp. The service in the bar and the reception left me feeling a bit like they were doing me a favour. And the restaurant was acceptable but not much more.

There were two areas where I was quite dissatisfied. The first was an early morning call I requested. They told me to use a very old dodgy looking alarm clock in the room.
The second was the transfer to the airport for a 6.15 am check in. Now Bewley’s is literally only 200 metres from Terminal 1. But unfortunately it isn’t possible to walk. Yet the transfer was a bit of a jumble and quite stressy too.

We arrived at 6.15 am to join a large crowd all awaiting the shuttle just outside the hotel. There was hardly enough room to stand there. There was no-one to inform us what was happening (or not happening) and no signs. It was 10 minutes late. We were almost fighting to get on and most of us were getting stressed. Not a good message to leave a hotel with. Take note guys!

I wouldn’t stay at Bewley’s again not because it was bad, but because it wasn’t good. I’ve stayed in Radisson Blue right at the airport and it was worth the extra.

I will leave you with what the teacher always wrote on my report.
“Could do better.” There were just so few nice touches in this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank steve b
GuestRelationBewleys, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us at Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport. I was disappointed to hear that you were left deflated by your experience.

As the 3* mid range property based on the Airport complex, we hope that we offer a clean and comfortable product and a reasonable price point. Unlike some of our other 3* competitors we also have the added extras of our Bar and Brasserie Restaurant as well as our complimentary shuttle bus service. As mentioned in your review, we are extremely busy 365 days a year, with a vast amount of guests passing through our door and due to this fact, the next part of our refurbishment is currently being scheduled.

With regards to the service received around the hotel; Customer Service is paramount to the success of any business and therefore is training priority here at Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport. We have recently recruited a fresh and forward thinking Front Office Manager who along with the other Heads of Department’s are working closely with the team to ensure that all of our guests are made to feel special from the minute they step through the door. This is an ongoing project and I apologise that your greeting was not up to the standard that we would have expected.

We take all comments extremely seriously and after a number of comments from guests, both on Trip Advisor and on other forums, about the early morning shuttle procedure, we have this week introduced a new system which is currently in the trial stages to see if we can move away from the large crowds forming during the popular hours. Hopefully this will be a great success and help streamline our already highly successful service.

There are a number of points I can see provided you with a feeling of disappointment but I am confident that given the chance we will be able to change this impression you have been left with. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future and if I can be of any assistance at any point of your booking please do not hesitate to contact me directly.