Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Ranked #51 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel is basic, very clean, quick check in, efficient transfer to terminal. The food in the restaurant is not too good and over priced, mackeral pate was just shredded makeral, the goats cheese in the salad was soggy, wet and salty. The steak was very thin, £18. 95! The bar food is much better value.
However, the breakfast was excellent, couldn't fault it, anything you could possibly want.
Staff are all efficient, not a luxurious hotel by any means, but fine if you avoid the retaurant.

Room Tip: rooms are all much the same, poor views but who cares for one night!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kate720
GuestRelationBewleys, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport for Trip Advisor. I am glad that on the most part you had a pleasant stay with us.

However, I was disappointed to hear that the food you received in the Brasserie was not as you would have liked, your comments have been passed on to both the Food and Beverage Manager and the Head Chef who strive to use the feedback to better the menus and the food offering that we provide.

All of the food for both the Bar and Brasserie, as well as breakfast comes from the same kitchen and we endeavour to ensure that the quality and standard is the same across the board. It would seem that we did not get this quite right on this occasion and for this I am truly sorry.

I do hope that you have not been deterred from returning the hotel again in the future as we certainly look forward to being able to welcome you back.

Guest Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (5,529)

Reviewed 27 July 2014

stayed in this hotel for 2 nights, Arrived as coach tour, we were checked in very quickly.Staff were excellent, hotel clean and comfortable. Only thing that let it down was on second night my steak was very tough. Other than that perfect, food reasonably priced and very generous size portions.

Room Tip: front room would be quiter as hotel backs onto main road at airport, also rooms to back very warm as...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

We are so glad that you enjoyed your break with us and that we were able to provide you with a comfortable base whilst on a tour. Please accept my apologies however; regarding the steak you were served. I have forwarded these comments on to our Head Chef, who takes all comments extremely seriously and uses them as a tool to better the offering that we provide. I understand that this does not change the experience that you had but hopefully it can prevent similar situations from happening to others in the future.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport again in the future if the need arises.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Check in great, food great but rooms have no air con so windows need to be open in order not to suffocate. The noise of people and the mini bus coming and going all night ensured the worst nights sleep ever!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Helen D

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for reviewing your recent experience at Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport; I am truly sorry that you found this to be lacking on this occasion.

With 365 bedrooms in the hotel, I am sure you are aware that there are many different aspects to look out upon and being located on the Airport complex that is used 24 hours a day there is a certain degree of noise that can be heard at all times of the day and the night. We do have rooms that may be quieter than others though and are more than happy to allocate these in advance if this is your preference. We also do have a number of rooms that have air conditioning which can be requested also. Our Reception Team are available 24 hours per day and I would have hoped that, had they been made aware of your concerns we would have been able to find you an alternative room more suited. Please accept my apologies if this were not the case.

I am certain that given the opportunity we will be able to change the impression that you have been left with, as your experience is certainly not indicative of the levels of service we endeavour to provide. If I can be of any assistance with future bookings, then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We decided to stay here on our return from holiday before taking the train home the next day, on leaving terminal one we decided to walk over to the hotel, as others have mentioned, you can see it but getting to it with luggage was not so easy, but later when we went a walk it was easy enough but i'd recommend using the shuttle bus.
checking in at reception was good and the staff were friendly and welcoming, the rooms were of a good standard and we had no problem with noise or anything.
the only downside for us was the breakfast buffet, we didn't enjoy it much but we do know others who have enjoyed it, so that's just a matter of taste,
all in all i'd thoroughly recommend this hotel as a stopover for the airport.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ilovevarna

Dear Reviewer

I am so glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you would recommend us to your friends and family. Recommendations are extremely important to us, we rely on these to grow as a business and therefore we are never complacent when our guests choose to mention that the impression that they have been left with will result in this action.

Thank you for reviewing breakfast in an honest manner, we get a lot of positive comments about this feature but I do understand that it can’t be to everyone’s taste and I thank you for accepting it as just that – a matter of personal preference.

If I can be of any further assistance when you are looking for accommodation in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be only too happy to help.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Bewleys hotel is a bit like the pictures on a McDonalds menu board - looks great to start with, but the end result doesn't quite live up to expectations. It tries very hard to stand at the same level as its Hilton and Radisson Blu neighbours, and it gets close in intent, but not quite so in execution.

The lobby is beautiful and gives a great first impression. Counter service was fine - not the happiest receptionists I've ever seen, but just about prepared to make small talk.

Our room was, again, impressive on entrance - quite spacious, very clean, airy. However, once we settled in, we noticed we were surrounded by enough mustard fabric and walnut varnish that we could have been in a 1970s living room, sipping sherry with Harold Wilson. In short, the room was dated.

Bed was spacious but uncomfortably hard, resulting in a poor nights sleep and a souvenir neck ache in the morning.

It was a different story in the bathroom. Modern, clean and aesthetically pleasing, it was like finally stepping into the millennium to brush my teeth. It was very small and boxed in, but I was willing to let this slide if it meant a respite from the Starskey and Hutch decor in the other room. Definitely the rooms salvation.

There were two places to eat at - the main restaurant and the bar. We checked in late and wanted to eat without waiting for a table, so we chose the bar. Again, the dated decor and layout was more Chav than Cheers, but it served a purpose. Busy and noisy, it was bereft of any ambiance, but after a 3 hour drive, we weren't too bothered.

The food was...ok at best. We had the Pasta Bolognese, where presentation had apparently gone on extended leave - just mounds of pasta dumped on the plate with a watery Bolognese and mince combination that looked about as appealing as a beige microwave meal you'd expect from a Wetherspoon's.

Despite my initial reservations about the presentation, it actually tasted pretty good and went down very nicely with a side of garlic bread (which was also very good). For £8, was it worth it? I'd say so, but if you want a higher quality dining experience, go to the main restaurant...just book a table to avoid disappointment.

All in all, we paid £60 in total to spend one night here before our flight. And with Bewleys hotel, you get what you pay for: an all round good looking, functional and no frills hotel, with a few areas for improvement, but generally affordable and comfortable. Let's face it, you won't be staying here for a romantic getaway - it's a place to hang your hat before spending hours on a plane, and with this in mind, it will suffice...it just needs to accept that it's not quite a 4-star.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationBewleys, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your informative review regarding your recent stay at Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport. I think that aside from a few bits you had an enjoyable stay with us?

I am glad that you got to experience all of the areas and that on the whole, all was relevant to your needs.

I do understand that there is a great deal of choice available to you when choosing accommodation in and around the Airport complex and therefore, we a truly grateful for your booking. We try to offer a good quality product and service at a reasonable cost and hope that we do this to the best of our ability. Located where we are, we obviously compete with the actual 4 * properties, as mentioned Hilton and Radisson Blu but we are the 3* offering on the Airport complex.

I hope that you would consider using us again in the future as we look forward to the opportunity of being able to welcome you back and provide you with another clean, comfortable and convenient stay over.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

If your wanting a hotel within walking distance of Terminals 1&3 then this hotel is great. If you are wanting an early night for an early morning flight this isn't for you! Doors banging super loud and people stampeding along the floor above below and to each side. There seems to be no sound proofing at all between rooms.
A very disappointing stay and we won't be back!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay over at Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport; I was sorry to see that you found it to be lacking on this occasion.

As I am sure you understand, we are a busy 365 bedroom airport based hotel and our guests travel in and out at all times of the day and night. This in itself creates a certain level of hustle and bustle and I am sorry that you were disturbed by this. We do have signs in the corridors asking for our guests to take into consideration others when moving about the building and it is always sad to hear of cases when the hotel’s reputation is let down by the actions of others.

I do understand that we can’t be everyone’s first preference however, should the need ever arise, we would certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully going some way towards changing the impression that you have been left with.

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Had the pleasure of staying here before our holiday
When we arrived check in was quick parked the car at the back of the hotel as they were keeping the car for us as well
Had an evening meal which was delish Rooms clean and comfortable tea coffee for your convenience
Breakfast is buffet style good value for money and the waiting staff very cheerful and pleasant
Will definitely stay at this hotel when we fly from Manchester again (next year)
All in all good value for money car is safe and secure staff are just a cheerful bunch nothing is too much hassle
Thanks guys xx

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ladybil

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent experience at Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport. Your kind words mean a lot and I am so glad that we were able to provide you with a convenient, friendly and comfortable stay over.

We certainly look forward to the opportunity of being able to welcome you back next year; in the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly on gr.manchesterairport@bewleyshotels.com