“Grand Old Lady still has a lot of style” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Midland

Ranked #15 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Hong Kong, China
“Grand Old Lady still has a lot of style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

Some hotels are born to greatness...others have greatness thrust upon them, the Midland has both. The building is utterly stunning, you are sharing in a part of Manchester history, but it is the service that makes this hotel truly great.

You are swept into the hotel by the charming doorman. Check in is painless. The endless, circular corridors are brightened by an eclectic collection of framed letters, cards and even adverts. The rooms are bright and clean. Some of the furnishings could do with a bit of a sprucing up (the back of the remote control in 340 appeared to have been blu-tacked back on!) but there is everything you need. Finding the lift is a bit of a challenge and more signs might be a good idea but wandering around does give you an idea of the sheer scale of the hotel

The swimming pool is a bit municipal but the staff, Amanda and Joshua, are brilliant. They offer free classes and can even arrange personal training. For someone on a business trip who doesn't care about relaxing music or Thai style decoration and wants functional and educated, this is perfect.

The coffee shop/Octagon bar has efficient and smiling staff and the scones are as light as air. The lighting is a bit dim and there are far too many TV people tallking loudly about famous people they know but this is hardly the Midland's fault.

On the downside, there was a conference in progress during my stay and I had to cough my way through the crowds of smokers on the front steps.

Staying at The Midland is a special experience; the building begins it and the staff complete it!

Room Tip: Try for an inside room; less street noise
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Everydayanadventure
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Dear Everydayanadventure,

Thank you for your thoughtful and comprehensive review of us and so your views of this fantastic building as well as your views about our great team. Where you see a need for us to ever-improve believe me we will do so; where we are doing well I can assure you we will continue to do so.

Many thanks again and we look forward to your return.

The Midland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (809)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Mold, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

I stayed at The Midland with my partner on Saturday 9th July and we were very impressed. I work as an NVQ trainer and travel to many different hotels throughout the North West and I can honestly say The Midland is by far the best i've experienced. From arrival to departure we were treated like royalty! The staff are excellent, always smiling and could never do enough for us. Members of the team that stood out were Jimmy (Concierge) who was very helpful and polite and Paul Bayliss (Resident Manager).
The room was extremely luxurious, spacious and comfortable. We were lucky enough to experience breakfast in "The French" resturant which was exceptional.
Overall a supurb hotel. We can't wait to return!

R. McAdam

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Dear Rossomc,

Thank you for your kind remarks about Jimmy, the team generally, The French and this wonderful hotel.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

Have stayed many times over the last 10 years and for at least 5 years have made comment re the room guest book saying "ice machine next to lifts on each floor"
No ice machines come on get the ice machine or alter folders
Last sat night 9th July was the worst night ever had at hotel no sleep at all in a way part hotels fault as double glazing no good and it cannot control noise outside but again coos help by good glazing
Otherwise live the hotel but sort out both items above stayed in room 346
Brian & Jeff
Eastbourne
Brian & Jeff

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Dear Trinitytrees,

Thank you for your review and kind comments. Please let us know during your stay about any concerns as we'd be delighted to help. As regards the ice machines some are being replaced in August but you can always call room service which is easier again. As for the noise that you mentioned please get in touch in advance of your next stay so that we can put you in one of your favourite rooms if available.

Thank you for your continued support for The Midland and as always we look forward to your return.

Ripon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

Stayed here with a group of 10 for a friends birthday weekend, I have stayed at many hotels across the country, but this is by far the best. Staff were lovely, so friendly. Bedrooms were beautiful, spacious and comfy. Had to try the pool and sauna while i was there, and although it was busy still enjoyed it and managed to get some time in the whirlpool...
Breakfast was yummy, nicely cooked and plenty of choice. Will most def come back, and would highly recommend to anyone.Thankyou for a lovely weekend

Room Tip: have only said not sure to room service as we never used it.... maybe next time
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Dear Pamelamyers,

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou! for a really nice review about the hotel and how well the team looked after you. It is appreciated and I hope that you will return soon bringing along lots more friends.

Crewe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

Taken me sometime to get round to writing a review about the hotel. Stayed at the hotel on the evening of June 3rd with my husband and friends (another couple). the hotel itself was amazing, the room brilliant and the staff could not of been more helpful and friendly.
However what ruined it for us was the wedding party that took place at the hotel that evening.
At the end of the night we decided we want to sit in the gorgeous hotel bar and have a couple of drinks before bed. However our visit to the hotel bar was cut short due to the noise, language and general rudeness of the wedding party that kept filtering out in to the bar area. I'm only in my early 30's and certainly no party pooper, but they wedding guests were incredibly annoying and very noisy shouting across the bar area. Follow this I went outside with my husband whilst he had a quick cigarette before bedtime, at which time we were nearly thrown up on by a girl from the party when she came outside. So we decided to go to bed... just wish the wedding party had been a little quieter when they did.....
I understand this isn't the hotels fault and as I say the hotel was amazing, but from now on and I recommend others to do the same, I will ask if there is a wedding taking place, and if so I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ensure you no located near any wedding guests.....
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 6 July 2011
Dear Sebastiansmum,

Many thanks for your kind remarks about The Midland and our team it is appreciated. As concerns some of our other guests being loud I'm really sorry for that as you like many others would want to enjoy your time with us as we fully understand.

To be fair we do dozens of weddings per year and don't normally receive feedback intimating dissatisfaction so this could well have been a one off that every hotel has to look after. What is one persons enjoyment can be another's bad experience so please do not let it put you off from coming back to us. If you have a concern I would be delighted to speak with you in advance as I would do with any of our guests who want to ensure a great stay at a fantastic hotel.

Thank you once again for your feedback, for raising your concerns and for the praise of our team.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here from Friday 1st July to Sunday 3rd July 2011 to celebrate my birthday and we had a lovely time. Having read the reviews for many hotels before chosing The Midland I decided to go with an open mind. Every hotel has its faults and The Midland is no exception i.e a slight problem with the shower quickly fixed by myself and a tv remote with its own mind but overall my stay at The Midland was very relaxing. Just a short distance away from the city centre nightlife so there was no need for a taxi. My main complaint was the cost of parking the car which totalled over £40. I cannot comment on the Spa or Pool facilities as we didn't use them but they looked very clean and maintained. I would recommend this hotel to any of my friends and would definately stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Delphy29,

Many thanks for your kind comments regarding your stay with us it is appreciated. Thanks also for recommending us to your friends and of course we'd be delighted to see you return soon.

Congleton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Our daughter has just held her wedding reception at the hotel and I cannot praise the catering or venue more highly. The moment we arrived at the front door the staff assisted with wedding luggage and ceckin for ouselves staying 2 night was easy. However the guest only staying for 1 night could not guarantee checkin until 3pm, you could request an early ceckin, this was very vague and unhelpful to family who had long distances with children to travel for the event. All room where available by 2.30pm. I felt it difficult only been able to book via QHotel booking line as I felt as it was a wedding my request could have been delt with better locally

Room Tip: Recomend beauty salon/ hairdressers at the hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear pip5566,

Thank you for highlighting how well your daughters wedding went and for letting our team know that their efforts didn't go unnoticed as they do try always to go the extra mile.

I hope you can appreciate that the check-in time is pre-set so that our housekeeping team can turn around rooms ready to be presented immaculately for our new guests; although I was glad to read that your rooms were ready before 3pm our normal check-in time.

Thanks again for your kind remarks.

The Midland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,291 reviews
The Principal Manchester
The Principal Manchester
#18 of 115 in Manchester

Been to The Midland? Share your experiences!