“Disappointed after our last experience”
Review of The Midland

Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 18 August 2011

The reservation agent was great when we booked, he really worked hard to find us the best deal, unfortunately the hotel was very busy when we arrived, there was a convention and three weddings so they were really stretched and it showed. Still a good place to stay, really handy for Manchester and the hair salon is great value.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

Dear Jonnie99,

Many thanks for your comments and I'm just as disappointed as you that you didn't enjoy your time with us this time as you did your last.

I would recommend booking directly with QHotels as they will be able to advise accurately on what we have going on in the hotel during your stay. The fact is that we do enjoy a really high guest occupancy rate where on occasions it can be difficult to gain a booking but the general theme is that our consistently high service delivery shines through to all of our guests.

Let me know when next you are thinking of staying as I would be delighted to advise accordingly.

Many thanks again

The Midland

Write a ReviewReviews (5,207)

Reviewed 16 August 2011

My wife and I decided to treat ourselves with an afternoon at the Midland. We had heard great things about the hotel and thought we would see for ourselves, we were not disappointed. We arrived and was welcomed into the lounge by a friendly waiter called James Parker who served us throughout (it makes a change not to have several people serving you). We started with tea for two and was offered a large variety of teas to choose from and when it arrived everything was there we needed from a pot of hot water to a strainer (as it was loose leaf) and a wonderful little shortdread biscuit. We decided that instead of the Afternoon tea (which was highly recommended by a friend) just to have sandwiches followed by cake, the sandwiches came well presented and the cake one of which was fruit cake was moist and full of fruit (again this can be hard for some venues to accomplish). we decided to finish the afternoon with cocktails which were fantastic.

The price we paid for the afternoon was extremely good value and is justified if the service we recieved on this occasion is the norm.

I would recommend the lounge to anyone when in Manchester and will be back again soon for the Afternoon Tea.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Dear DavidG64,

Thank you for taking the time to review our afternoon tea and your praise for James, The Octagon Lounge and our team generally.

We look forward to your return soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 August 2011

This hotel is absolutely huge (strange layout on upper floors, easy to get confused with where your room is) but is beautiful. Tasteful and elegant. I had a standard room which was very nice, although fairly small. My friends had a executive suite which was absolutely fabulous, probably bigger than my home. So its very easy on the eye, quality, comfortable, good facilities.

But, the service was poor. We asked for a hot chocolate in the bar at 2am, when we arrived back from our night out (bar was quite busy) but were told the machine was broken, but if we ordered it from room service we'd be ok. So we went up to the room and ordered from there, about an hour later, the drinks arrived. We ordered breakfast in the suite for the morning, it arrived very late, with lots of things missing, or wrong. It took 30 mins for things to be rectified, so our group of friends ate at different times. When we woke, we found there was no hot water and were then told there was no hot water in the whole hotel. We were told we could walk to the Raddison and use their showers. No thanks.

So possibly an unlucky experience but it seemed each time we encountered staff in person or on the phone, they were a bit fawlty towers.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Dear BurtonsCurtains,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us and I should start with an apology as we did have a problem with the water on the sunday morning; a complete one off I can assure you and given the high praise within our other reviews I do feel that you did have an unlucky experience.

If ever you are looking to return please let me know personally as I would be delighted to assist in ensuring that your next stay with us will be truly exceptional.

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 August 2011

This review is very late but I am new to Trip Advisor.

The Midland Hotel is fantastic in every way but price. That said, I suppose it is only right to pay for quality.

We stayed here in December 2009. We got the room on a special deal, otherwise it would have been an extravagance that we couldn't justify.

What can I say about The Midland?

Are there nearby hotels with a higher star rating at a similar price? Yes.

Are there more modern hotels? Yes.

Are there nearby hotels which are more trendy? Yes.

The Midland, however, is like coming home. A genuinely warm welcome awaits without the snootiness which so often goes with high class establishments.

The interior is massively spacious, yet reassuringly cozy.

The Midland has kept it's values amid an influx of modern, cold, glass and steel constructions, competing for the young executive.

The Midland has resisted any temptation to turn into a copy of other seemingly more fashionable hotels. This isn't to say that The Midland isn't fashionable. It is, just in a different, less obvious way.

Now onto the specifics of our stay there:

When we went, the plan was to do the Christmas markets. The weather didn't disappoint ... Although The Midland can't take the credit for the snow.

The snow, combined with the Alpine style of the markets was magical. It was bitterly cold and the haven of The Midland was a welcome and warm retreat. I can't think of anywhere better to thaw out .... Maybe Malibu, but as I've never been I am unable to truly compare.

The effort put into the Christmas decor in the lobby did not go unnoticed. Massive trees, lights and tasteful decorations both inside and out added to
the wonderful ambiance.

The customer service was second to none. Above and beyond excellent, in my opinion.

I had hatched a secret plan to ask my partner to marry me that evening. The trouble was ... The plan only existed in my head. I hadn't shared or prepared these with the staff.

The plan was to have a specific piece of classical music played in the piano lounge (my partner's favourite) and to propose there.

I sprung this plan on the staff virtually last minute and nothing was too much trouble. Elaine Stott was superb in putting my plan into action. She telephoned Lawrence, the pianist, who was on his way in already and I spoke with him. She secretly passed him the sheet music to allow him to practice and she reserved a table for us.

The answer was "yes" by the way and we were immediately congratulated with a complimentary glass of champagne and strawberries.

Nothing was too much trouble. The setting was perfect, as were the staff.

Brilliant hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank DazLeeW

Dear DazLee W,

You're right this review is a little late but especially memorable for yourself as well as alot of our great team including Laurence who was only too delighted to help in making your stay with us truly unique.

What price happy memories like that?

We would be delighted to see you back soon and thank you also for the comments regarding the rest of your stay with us.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

The midlansd was perfect for us, it was my husbands birthday and our wedding anniversary. We got upgraded to a suite which was huge and had everyhting u could need for a stay. I also love this hotel because every single member of staff are very friendly, they all say hello, they all make sure you are happy and have what you may need. nothing is to much trouble. I also like the hotel as it is like the marriot style hotel, but alot grander! rather than contempoary as I dont like too modern, I like traditional and cosy. I also thought the pionist was a lovely touch on a romantic break away. The price was also very good and we will always stay here now in Manchester.

1  Thank norman008

Dear Norman008,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for letting other future guests know that The Midland is your hotel of choice when in Manchester City Centre. Whilst it is flattering to read that you view us in alignment with the Marriot Group The Midland as part of Q Hotels is one of 21 excellent properties across the UK that feels that it delivers the extra special in all of its services and I would encourage anyone to try us as you will not be disappointed.

Many thanks again for your excellent review and as always we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Have just spent the day in Manchester with my husband. We decided to have afternoon tea at the Midland. What a lovely experience. From the minute we entered the atmosphere was relaxed but very professional. The food was lovely and the staff helpful especially Dawn Stott who informed us of the guided tours of the Midland which take place on Saturdays. We have decided to return with my parents for afternoon tea. As my father is in a wheelchair we were concerned about access and parking. We saw ramps and a lift at the entrance. Dawn also informed us that there is valet parking which makes life alot easier. Can't wait to give my parents the experience as they are in their 70's and remember the Midalnd of years ago but have never been.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Stephanie s,

Thank you for your kind review of our famous Afternoon Tea and I encourage anyone who reads this review to come into this wonderful building as it is as fascinating on the inside as it is as splendid to look at from the outside. A legendary building with 101 stories that I know the staff would be delighted to tell you all about.

Thanks again for your comments and for taking the time to review The Midland, our services and members of our great team.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights over the weekend in August 2011.

Location
The Midland is located right in the centre of Manchester, next to St Peter's Square, just across the road from the Town Hall and Albert Square, a couple of minutes walk from China Town, the Gay Village, and Deansgate.

The Hotel
This is a really beautiful hotel. Built in the late 1800s - early 1900s, the entrance is grand and the building retains its old grandeur inside and out. If you are looking for sleek chrome and dark glass (yawn!) then go elsewhere, but if you are looking for a really lovely hotel with character and history then this is the place to stay.

Rooms
We stayed in a superior room and I have to say it was just lovely. Really clean, very spacious, and very nicely decorated. The rooms have a safe, TV, complimentary toiletries, comfortable beds, air conditioning (not that it's always needed in Manchester!), mini-bar and free Wi-Fi.

Facilities
The hotel has a spa with pool, jacuzzi, sauna room - all of which are very nice. The bar is a nice, relaxed place for a few beers or cocktails, and we ate in the Wyvern Restaurant, which was also lovely and they were more than willing to cater for our special dietary requirements.

Overall
Overall this is a lovely hotel and, given the choice, we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Manchester.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Aspiring_Parisienne,

Thank you for what is a very thorough review of The Midland. Thanks for rating us so highly and also for declaring that your next stay in Manchester will be with us for the reasons afore mentioned.

Le Grande Dame is very pleased!