“Smiling faces”

Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Oxford
“Smiling faces”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

It's a lovely old place with plenty of space.
The service was ace and the spa had a relaxing pace.
Food very tasty and Little dog roaming had a smile on his face.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 21 August 2011
Dear Littledog,

Thank you for your rhyming review which made us smile. I'm glad that you really enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you soon.

The Midland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (812)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Wigan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

It was our first stay at the Midland Hotel and hopefully there will be many more to come. We booked the Hotel as a midweek treat and it exceeded all our expectations. The staff were extremely helpful, the reception staff and concierge were very informative, the bar staff were efficient and the breakfast room staff were very pleasant which is often not the case in many modern establishments. Our room was very clean and spacious, we had a great nights sleep and the late check out time of 12pm enabled us to have a relaxing morning before we checked out. We had the most amazing time and The Midland is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in, the only problem we had was that we had only booked one night and didn't want to go home.

Dear Suzanne C,

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope it is the first of many.

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind words about our excellent team and this fantastic hotel.

Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

The reservation agent was great when we booked, he really worked hard to find us the best deal, unfortunately the hotel was very busy when we arrived, there was a convention and three weddings so they were really stretched and it showed. Still a good place to stay, really handy for Manchester and the hair salon is great value.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
Dear Jonnie99,

Many thanks for your comments and I'm just as disappointed as you that you didn't enjoy your time with us this time as you did your last.

I would recommend booking directly with QHotels as they will be able to advise accurately on what we have going on in the hotel during your stay. The fact is that we do enjoy a really high guest occupancy rate where on occasions it can be difficult to gain a booking but the general theme is that our consistently high service delivery shines through to all of our guests.

Let me know when next you are thinking of staying as I would be delighted to advise accordingly.

Many thanks again

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

My wife and I decided to treat ourselves with an afternoon at the Midland. We had heard great things about the hotel and thought we would see for ourselves, we were not disappointed. We arrived and was welcomed into the lounge by a friendly waiter called James Parker who served us throughout (it makes a change not to have several people serving you). We started with tea for two and was offered a large variety of teas to choose from and when it arrived everything was there we needed from a pot of hot water to a strainer (as it was loose leaf) and a wonderful little shortdread biscuit. We decided that instead of the Afternoon tea (which was highly recommended by a friend) just to have sandwiches followed by cake, the sandwiches came well presented and the cake one of which was fruit cake was moist and full of fruit (again this can be hard for some venues to accomplish). we decided to finish the afternoon with cocktails which were fantastic.

The price we paid for the afternoon was extremely good value and is justified if the service we recieved on this occasion is the norm.

I would recommend the lounge to anyone when in Manchester and will be back again soon for the Afternoon Tea.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Dear DavidG64,

Thank you for taking the time to review our afternoon tea and your praise for James, The Octagon Lounge and our team generally.

We look forward to your return soon.

Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

This hotel is absolutely huge (strange layout on upper floors, easy to get confused with where your room is) but is beautiful. Tasteful and elegant. I had a standard room which was very nice, although fairly small. My friends had a executive suite which was absolutely fabulous, probably bigger than my home. So its very easy on the eye, quality, comfortable, good facilities.

But, the service was poor. We asked for a hot chocolate in the bar at 2am, when we arrived back from our night out (bar was quite busy) but were told the machine was broken, but if we ordered it from room service we'd be ok. So we went up to the room and ordered from there, about an hour later, the drinks arrived. We ordered breakfast in the suite for the morning, it arrived very late, with lots of things missing, or wrong. It took 30 mins for things to be rectified, so our group of friends ate at different times. When we woke, we found there was no hot water and were then told there was no hot water in the whole hotel. We were told we could walk to the Raddison and use their showers. No thanks.

So possibly an unlucky experience but it seemed each time we encountered staff in person or on the phone, they were a bit fawlty towers.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear BurtonsCurtains,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us and I should start with an apology as we did have a problem with the water on the sunday morning; a complete one off I can assure you and given the high praise within our other reviews I do feel that you did have an unlucky experience.

If ever you are looking to return please let me know personally as I would be delighted to assist in ensuring that your next stay with us will be truly exceptional.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

This review is very late but I am new to Trip Advisor.

The Midland Hotel is fantastic in every way but price. That said, I suppose it is only right to pay for quality.

We stayed here in December 2009. We got the room on a special deal, otherwise it would have been an extravagance that we couldn't justify.

What can I say about The Midland?

Are there nearby hotels with a higher star rating at a similar price? Yes.

Are there more modern hotels? Yes.

Are there nearby hotels which are more trendy? Yes.

The Midland, however, is like coming home. A genuinely warm welcome awaits without the snootiness which so often goes with high class establishments.

The interior is massively spacious, yet reassuringly cozy.

The Midland has kept it's values amid an influx of modern, cold, glass and steel constructions, competing for the young executive.

The Midland has resisted any temptation to turn into a copy of other seemingly more fashionable hotels. This isn't to say that The Midland isn't fashionable. It is, just in a different, less obvious way.

Now onto the specifics of our stay there:

When we went, the plan was to do the Christmas markets. The weather didn't disappoint ... Although The Midland can't take the credit for the snow.

The snow, combined with the Alpine style of the markets was magical. It was bitterly cold and the haven of The Midland was a welcome and warm retreat. I can't think of anywhere better to thaw out .... Maybe Malibu, but as I've never been I am unable to truly compare.

The effort put into the Christmas decor in the lobby did not go unnoticed. Massive trees, lights and tasteful decorations both inside and out added to
the wonderful ambiance.

The customer service was second to none. Above and beyond excellent, in my opinion.

I had hatched a secret plan to ask my partner to marry me that evening. The trouble was ... The plan only existed in my head. I hadn't shared or prepared these with the staff.

The plan was to have a specific piece of classical music played in the piano lounge (my partner's favourite) and to propose there.

I sprung this plan on the staff virtually last minute and nothing was too much trouble. Elaine Stott was superb in putting my plan into action. She telephoned Lawrence, the pianist, who was on his way in already and I spoke with him. She secretly passed him the sheet music to allow him to practice and she reserved a table for us.

The answer was "yes" by the way and we were immediately congratulated with a complimentary glass of champagne and strawberries.

Nothing was too much trouble. The setting was perfect, as were the staff.

Brilliant hotel.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank DazLeeW
Dear DazLee W,

You're right this review is a little late but especially memorable for yourself as well as alot of our great team including Laurence who was only too delighted to help in making your stay with us truly unique.

What price happy memories like that?

We would be delighted to see you back soon and thank you also for the comments regarding the rest of your stay with us.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

The midlansd was perfect for us, it was my husbands birthday and our wedding anniversary. We got upgraded to a suite which was huge and had everyhting u could need for a stay. I also love this hotel because every single member of staff are very friendly, they all say hello, they all make sure you are happy and have what you may need. nothing is to much trouble. I also like the hotel as it is like the marriot style hotel, but alot grander! rather than contempoary as I dont like too modern, I like traditional and cosy. I also thought the pionist was a lovely touch on a romantic break away. The price was also very good and we will always stay here now in Manchester.

1 Thank norman008
Dear Norman008,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for letting other future guests know that The Midland is your hotel of choice when in Manchester City Centre. Whilst it is flattering to read that you view us in alignment with the Marriot Group The Midland as part of Q Hotels is one of 21 excellent properties across the UK that feels that it delivers the extra special in all of its services and I would encourage anyone to try us as you will not be disappointed.

Many thanks again for your excellent review and as always we look forward to your return.