“Gorgeous City centre hotel”
Review of The Midland

Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We stayed here for a night in November, central location, with really attentive staff, fantatstic ambiance and all round great stay. rooms where elegant and clean, the lounge bar makes an amazing Cosmo and has a lovely ambiance with the grand piano playing in the background, gives it a really nice vibe. Couldnt recommend enough!!

2  Thank MrsGlyde
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2011

Dear MrsGlyde,

Many thanks for taking the time to review The Midland and for your really kind comments about the hotel our service and our team it is appreciated; and of course I agree that Laurence, our Resident Pianist, does make the Lounge a wonderful place to relax and enjoy a drink within. Don't forget he will soon be playing during our afternoon tea's on the run up to Christmas.

Thanks once again

Reviewed 9 November 2011

This is a grand old hotel.Most of the staff are polite friendly and helpful.My room was really noisy both from external noise ie trains trams etc and poor insulation between rooms and the floor above. It was really dusty after sneezing for an hour I realised the skirting was thick with went round with a damp cloth.
Breakfast was ok at best very average coffee and not great quality cooked Brekkie
To be honest for an overnight stay in a inner city hotel I would not waste my money here there must be better options around . There's also no parking and two nights in the nearest car park was £42 .

• Stayed: November 2011
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2011

Dear Clurina,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and I take on board your comments with a view towards ever improvement.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

Made a brief visit to Manchester with my wife; she shopped, whilst I attended to some business; and we had already decided to stay overnight, and enjoy Manchester for another day. Check in was the usual, no complaints there, and the room was comfortable and welcoming. Relaxed for an hour or so, but by the time we were ready to go out on the town, a bass-thumping, mind-numbing 'rave' had begun somewhere in the hotel. What? In the famous Midland? A headbangers' ball? That's what I thought, so we left, fully expecting this ridiculous din to have disappeared by the time we got back. At 23.00 it was still going on, but I stuck it out until almost midnight. My complaint was greeted with 'would you like to switch rooms?'. Not his fault, but not helpful. I suggested that turning the damn thing off might be more appropriate.
I am not an old grouch, but cannot believe that we were the only guests whose ears were ringing coming up to midnight. Apart from that, was a bit surprised that continental breakfast would be £17.50 each, and was not impressed by the shower arrangement that pumped tepid water all over the bathroom floor. Mystifying. Ok. I am an old grouch, but I do expect that an hotel of this standard should guarantee a bit of peace and quiet, a breakfast at a reasonable rate, and no threat of trench foot as you paddle around the bathroom. (P.S. Had a lovely cooked breakfast down the road, with excellent service, for £7.50 each). Oh, and the meal we had in Yang Sing was pretty, pretty good!

Room Tip: Avoid a room facing into the central enclosed area, mainly because the windows are so dirty that one...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

Dear Windbag,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and I don't think you're an old grouch but a treasured guest with matters to raise thus allowing us to resolve. To be fair we haven't recieved any other feedback as to noise on the night of your stay and I would have to say that the duty receptionist looks like he tried his very best by offering you an alternative room as we ask our team to always, always, always attempt to solve a guests concerns as quickly as possible.

With the windows that's not a problem as we will get the abseilers in to solve it although it is the time of year when we are at the mercy of the wind, dry weather and rain as to how long our external facing glass will stay pristine. Finally the cost you quoted for continental bfst is actually for our full offering with zero scrimping on what you can choose. All of that said you have been kind enough to rate us highly and genuinely I thank you for that and also your ongoing custom which I would be delighted to help continue by personally helping to make arrangements for you going forward if you would be kind enough to get in touch.

Thank you once again and where we didn't exceed your expectations this time I'm sure with your feedback we will be able to when next you are with us.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

This hotel is fantastic & I highly recommend it. I will always look to book here in the future. Perfect service, fantastic atmosphere, just an all round perfect stay. My wife & I have stayed here twice now. First time was a weekend break for her birthday & the second time was just before we went away on our honeymoon. It was the perfect start to our honeymoon.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gary D

Dear Gary D,

Thank you for being extremely kind with your words as regards this magnificent hotel, the services that we offer and look always to present impeccably and of course our great team who strive always to give each of our guests the kinds of 'perfect' stays that we have delivered for you and your good lady and you have described so well.

Thank you once again it really is appreciated and of course we look forward to your next stay and the challenge of maintaining that level of performance for you and all of our guests.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

Booked the weekend for my wifes birthday in October. Our experience started with the helpful concierge directing me to the car park and carried onto with the beautiful aroma in the reception area and the very efficient recptionist.We picked up our keys and went up to our lovely room which was gorgeous and spotless. We unpacked and then spent an hour in the bar area next to reception, having a couple of drinks in the relaxing and comfy surroundings. All the bar staff were extremely polite and attentive.The next morning we had a fantastic breakfast where you could help yourself. Everything you could desire was available. Very memorable experience.

Danielle Wood

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Dear Danielle W,

Fantastic feedback thank you!! I can't add much more save to say that what we hope always to deliver for each and every guest has been wonderfully amplified by yourself through this very kind review.

Thank you and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

Only had a short stay at the midland but I will be returning very soon. The room was fantastic and all the staff go out of there way to make sure your stay with them is perfect.
I thought it was fantastic that we were still able to use the hotel facilities after we checked out, so we enjoyed a nice day by the pool.
It is right in the middle of Manchester so there is no limit of what you can do.
I can't wait to return for another visit one weekend soon!
Thanks :)

Dear fayemetthews11,

Many thanks for taking the time to review The Midland and for highlighting just how well our fantastic staff looked after you. We're lucky in that we have a superb building, great rooms and a singular ambience to show off but its always refreshing to read that what we offer and how we deliver it is a massive part of what brings our guests back time and time again.

It goes without saying that we too would be delighted to see you back here soon and so if our team or I can assist in making those arrangements with you then we'd be delighted to do assist. Top tip best way for you to book with us is always through our website.

Kind regards and thank you once again

Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed at the Midland (Manchester) on Saturday night - just the one night as me and wife were seeing South Pacific musical at Palace Theatre. In short its nothing special and certainly nothing to justify the £15.01 they charged for our nightcap (pint of Calsburg and a single Bacardi & Coke) incl. £1.36 servics charge!.

Room OK (Just). Buffet Breakfast OK (Food a little on the warm side - not hot). Pragmatically just OK. No on site parking tho (£18.40) at GMex Centre.

Not really bothered tho cos South Pacific (Palace Theatre) was brilliant in every respect so if you get chance to see it - take it!)

Dear Portuphile (Grande nome, a forma!!),

First of all thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind and straightforward comments. If I can offer a slight amendment to your commentary it would be that you actually received a double Bacardi and Coke rather than a single as you intimated. That said please be assured that we take on board all of your observations (be they a little out of kilter with our reviews generally) as they allow us to strive evermore towards delivering a faultless guest experience each and every time; as that is always our aim.

I agree also that South Pacific is a super show and was delighted to read that your Wife and Yourself really enjoyed it. Once again thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us it is appreciated.