“Efficient Business Hotel”
Review of The Midland

Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Have just spent 2 days at a Seminar in this hotel. The rooms were quite small but very comfortable and functional. The hotel facilities, bar, restaurant, lobby etc were very upmarket and efficient, with staff asking just the right amount of times if anything was needed, without becoming pests. The position of the hotel is superb in terms of being very close to restaurants, nightlife, train station etc. Would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2012

Dear EssexMiket,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland and for your kind comments from the perspective of a business guest. We are extremely fortunate with our location in that it is probably the best situated hotel in Manchester for leisure, business and commerce with easy links in, out and around the City via a number of easy to reach transport alternatives.

However thanks mainly for your comments about our great team, who you've told us, got it just right for you. It is a skill in itself to be helpful without hindering or annoying guests whether they be with us for business or pleasure or both!

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 1 June 2012

I have been coming to the Midland Hotel since I was a little girl (40yrs!!) and I can honestly say nowhere compares. I have celebrated special occasions and birthdays here. I held the most amazing 10th wedding anniversary party here and we return every christmas with my family (which now includes my children).
I simply love this hotel. The staff are amazing- they are so friendly and so helpful. When I wanted to book a weekend here the staff were lovely telling me the nicest room to book with a four poster bed and good views.
when I wanted to book my anniversary party here, again, they couldn't do enough to make it an amazing night- and it was. A guest at the party who was on dialysis was given a private room to store his belongings and use at no extra cost- he was so touched by all their kind help. Like me, my children have grown up coming to this magnificent hotel.
It is without a shadow of doubt, still the most beautiful hotel in manchester and steeped in such amazing history. I have always found the staff to be professional, courteous and helpful- customer service is second to none.
I have stayed in several rooms over the years and have found each to be beautifully decorated and immaculatel clean. And as for the food- well like i said i've been coming here for 40 years and eaten lots of meals here and i have never had a bad one. Its always been hot, tasty,served in good portion sizes and always served by lovely staff. You are always made to feel special when you visit.
Not only do I look forward to many more years coming to this hotel, i look forward to bringing my childrens children here in years to come!
A big thankyou to everyone at the midland hotel for so many happy years

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank MTR648
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Dear MTR648,

I don't think I can add too much more to your lovely review.

Thank you and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

after just returning from a spa break at Crewe Hall, which is the same chain Q Hotels as my favorite hotel The Midland, it feels that Crewe Hall is a far better Hotel. The decor to Crewe Hall is far superior to the Midland. The Midland hotel toilets are a let down, and need re furbishing, they actually resemble toilets to a low standard hotel. The lounge chairs in the sitting area are looking shabby, and not to the standard that The Midland should be. Please Q Hotels spend a little money on The Midland, and keep it to the standard we expect. Thanks

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Dear lorrainecbuckley,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and your timing couldn't be better as we are about to embark upon a programme of ensuring that the place meets our guests expectations.

I take on board your comments and I'm sure that with such a fascinating building like The Midland the quality of our toilets is something that is important to all but I'm not so sure it is a reason why over 200,000 guests use us annually and in the main (well beyond 95% anyway) say very nice things about the hotel and our magnificent team.

Thanks again for your custom and feedback as it is so important to us and I agree wholeheartedly that Crewe Hall is another great hotel.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

The room I had was clean and spacious. The staff were very courteous. My only issue with this hotel was the lack of parking. I had to park away from the building and walk. The bed was comfortable, the view was towards the back. The toilet was clean and all in all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Cubicsnot
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Dear cubicsnot,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind words. When next you visit please come to the front (or back) of the hotel and ask for Valet Parking as we'd be delighted to begin looking after you from the second that you arrive.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is the 5th time I have been to Manchester and have stayed in 4* hotels each time. The staff at this hotel made it the best hotel stay I have experienced. Though I have had more modern rooms in other hotels, I realised after staying here that customer service is more important. The manager here has it right, the staff seem genuinely happy in their job and this gave an overall 'good vibe.' The hotel was extremely busy yet every member of staff I encountered made me feel valued.

I had booked a Superior King Room, the first room (638 I think) whilst it was very big, it didn't let in the sunshine (fussy, I know!) I called reception and the girl could not do enough to help. She explained that she had a book describing the rooms and asked what I was looking for. She read the room description out, sent up a staff member to help move our belongings and we were moved to 430.

The chambermaid found £20 under our bed ( I have no idea if it was ours or the previous guests) however she left it on the side for us, she also asked if there was anything extra we required, I took her up on her offer and asked for extra milk and tea.

I asked for help with a bus route to the rugby tournament and to a restaurant. Later that day I had highlighted maps, bus times, a walking route....

On the Saturday night, the duty manager saw we were reading a note regarding breakfast and the fact it would be busy so to expect a wait between 9-10.30. We'd have been happy to wait however intuitively he came over and offered us breakfast in bed waiving the tray charge.

We had drinks in the bar before we went out, the staff were incredibly attentive and always asked if we'd had a good evening when we went back for a night cap. Nuts were served with each drink and on our final night we'd been unable to get in anywhere for a meal, the waitress bought over two huge bowls of nuts.

My partner and I have many weekends away in different cities and I can honestly say that the level of customer service at this hotel is the best I have ever received and for this reason, it gives The Midland the edge over other hotels. Keep it up, we'll be revisiting in October!

Room Tip: It appears there is a book which describes each room therefore you can ring reception prior to your...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zenaYork

Dear zenaYork,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and for recording your comments so comprehensively. I believe you're right in that we can have the best hotel around (which we have) but it is ALWAYS all about our staff and how well they look after our guests that makes all the difference.

You've been kind enough to tell others about us which I thank you again for.

Before you visit us in October let me know so I can ensure that stay is as memorable as this.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

We enjoyed a lovely 2 night stay in The Midland in Manchester. The situation of the hotel is great for all the events which are happening there. The staff were very helpful, polite and courteous. Our room on the 5th floor was great -very clean and comfortable. We had travelled to Manchester in the car and it was good to have the car valet parked for us in the local NCP car park. Would really recommend this hotel if you want a bit of luxury while in Manchester.

Room Tip: Upgrade to room on 5th floor. It was quiet and a/c not noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Westpool,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland and for your very kind comments they are appreciated. I'm so pleased that we looked after you although we do have an advantage or two given our unique location at the heart of Manchester and the fact that we have a fabulous building and fantastic staff who are always keen to look after every one of our guests.

As always we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at The Midland for two nights on 25th and 26th May 2012. This was our second stay here and, yet again, The Midland surpassed our expectations.

With the help of the staff (Dawn Stott and pianist, Lawrence) we got engaged at The Midland in December 2009, so the place holds some really special memories for us.

This visit was made (almost) equally as special following a wonderful, special touch from the manager soon after our arrival - thank you.

The Midland is large, yet homely and very busy, yet personal. The piano lounge, with the sweet sounds of relaxing live piano music is the perfect place to relax with a drink or two.

The room was spacious and airy. The air con worked perfectly and the shower was just fantastic. The view from our room wasn't the best, but we didn't go to stare out of the windows.

Room service was second to none and the food was delicious and clearly prepared with pride.

We have stayed at many hotels (some with a seemingly higher star rating) but The Midland is the best, by a mile (and then some).

It's a pity we can't afford to stay more often because we would go back at the drop of a hat.

Quality place. Quality service. Quality Staff.

Thank you, Midland, for an amazing weekend.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank DazLeeW

Dear DazLeeW,

Trust me we know you well as Dawn has told us all about you. I'm so pleased that once again we've given you a great stay and I can only add that your final few words about quality is all what our great team strive to achieve with each and every guest.

Thank you once again and we look forward to your return time and again!