“Grand and luxurious, enjoyed every second of our stay here!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Midland

Ranked #15 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Grand and luxurious, enjoyed every second of our stay here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

We have stayed at this hotel twice now since it has spent millions on its refurb. We haven't been disappointed at all its a fantastic hotel with great facilities and is ideally situated in Manchester city centre.
The reception/ foyer area is very grand spacious and clean. Staff are in abundance and endeavour to help your every need with a smile !
Our rooms were very impressive .HUGE ! Very modern and tastefully decorated. We had a great nights sleep beds were comfortable and linen crisp and fresh.
Breakfast was buffet style with also waiter service all delicious and plentiful and fresh.
The spa - only used the pool and sauna as had a spa day booked elsewhere but it did look lovely.
Can't wait for our return here. Ideal for a special occasion.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chillax999
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Dear Chillax999,

What a lovely review! There's not much more I can add except to say THANK YOU for your kind words and time taken in reviewing The Midland once again!

Most of all however ALL of our team really appreciates your continued custom and loyalty to this fabulous hotel.

It goes without saying that we look forward to your return.

The Midland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (809)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Last week we were invited to Champagne Afternoon Tea at The Midland to celebrate a special family occasion. We were a group of 9 people and overall we enjoyed the experience. The room we dined in was beautiful and lent a very special atmosphere to our afternoon.

However, I was slightly disappointed with the layout of the tables for our number as they consisted of 2 circular tables joined together which meant that at the join 2 people either side were more or less sitting back to back, I felt a different table configuration would have worked better.

We started with a sherry, while the waitress checked for any special dietary requirements - we had 2 in our group who require a gluten-free diet and were delighted that this was catered for. Then we had our champagne - which was really lovely. Service was very relaxed bordering on slow throughout the experience, and I felt that the waitress was busy elsewhere as she wasn't in the dining room very much. When our food arrived there was a lovely selection of sandwiches. The Non-gluten eating diners had to share a very small side plate of sandwiches though and certainly seemed hard done by compared to the rest of us. This was followed by a very generous selection of cakes and scones. One pot of tea and one pot of coffee was served with the meal and at no point were we asked if we would like more of either, which we would have requested had we had the opportunity.

So overall the experience had its good and bad points.....not sure that I would opt for afternoon tea in The Midland again.

The reception area of the hotel was beautifully decorated and had a wonderful display of fresh flowers. Concierge staff were very helpful especially with helping one of our party use the wheelchair lift in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear Dubfam,

Thanks so much for your kind review. Please be assured that where you felt we could have done better the team are already aware and working towards delivering that exceptional level of service and quality that The Midland is renowned for.

Thank you also for your custom and comments generally and of course we look forward to your return.

Resdent Manager
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

We stayed in the junior suite for one night. I had originally booked a standard room but closer to our stay was offered a 50% upgrade which we took. I communicated with a woman called Nadine via email, who asked if their was a special occasion to which I told her it was my birthday. She arranged a complimentary bottle of wine to be in the room (at least I think it is! not seen the bill yet!) The room was amazing, spacious and we had an amazing nights sleep. The concierge offered us advice on where to go. I had a brilliant night, which I expected as this is one of the few hotels that has nothing but good reviews on trip advisor!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Dear Conorgs1,

Thanks so much for your kind review and for mentioning the quality of service from the original booking stage all the way through. So pleased to read that we added to your special occasion and of course we look forward to looking after you in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

Thought we would give this hotel a second go to give it the benefit of the doubt. Had to change rooms again as the room they gave us had loose paper hanging from ceilings, and generally grubby. The second room was a bit better but not by much. Our friends were staying at the Raddison hotel which was almost next door, and that was Palatial by comparison.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Dear STR1050,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us your comments are really appreciated. If I could ask you to get in touch as I'd like to go through the matter with you to ensure we resolve it or let you know that we have done so already.

As a norm if there is a problem with any of our rooms then we get our Maintenance team into that room on that day to get it back to standard. As would be expected with 312 bedrooms there is an ongoing desire to keep them in first class condition but sometimes items like edges of wall paper coming away in a room does happen.

So either the dissatisfaction that you mentioned continues to be missed or, as I suspect, the task has already been completed and I can update you. To be fair such is the rarity of this situation that I believe I have also read your comments via our internal feedback system intimating the same issue so I am confident we are already onto your concern.

Many thanks for raising the matter though as we do have an excellent reputation for delivering immaculate public areas, Meeting Rooms and Bedrooms which we guard jealously and so with your feedback this will help ensure that this situation continues.

In closing I'm sorry again for the inconvenience.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

This is the third time I ve stayed here and as usual it was very busy. Weddings , business people galore. I m glad to say the rooms are consistantly good as are the staff. The only thing that let's this hotel down is the breakfast, much better quality and value for money round the corner.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank MrsMoggs
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Dear MrsMoggs,

Thanks so much for your kind review and for your continued loyalty. We are an extremely busy hotel but generally get great reviews for our food offerings and so I'm sorry that on this occasion we didn't please you completely.

Please let me know when next you are planning to visit us so I can ensure that we delight you rather than disappoint.

Thank you once again.

Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Stayed here on business third weekend in September on a Saturday night. The room was adequate - but even with the air conditioning on it was still stifling hot. The queue to be served in The Octagon Bar on the Saturday evening was diabolical - and don't even get me started on their prices! Breakfast on the Sunday morning was a rushed affair - long queues to be seated and the same at the self-service hot buffet selection (which was not as frequently replenished as it might have been). If you're a veggie trying to breakfast, then it's hash browns, egg, tomato and mushrooms (and the half dozen baked beans that were left skulking unloved in the serving dish) - although there are TWO different sausage choices for the meat eaters! Not worth the money.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Dear Dizzy_Blonde1,

Thanks so much for your kind review and I'm really sorry that we failed to match your expectations on this occasion. As with all hotels we're looking ALWAYS to deliver consistency and to make the experience for our guests as enjoyable and 'user friendly' as possible. To be fair given our other reviews overwhelmingly we tend to match what our guests are asking for as we know there is an anticipation that The Midland always delivers great service, ambience and quality.

I take on board your comments about breakfast offerings for vegetarians with the caveat that we have an extensive vegetarian (breakfast) range well beyond that which you have mentioned. However, based on your comments, it appears that we've failed by not communicating this to you. Please be assured that I will be speaking with the team to ensure the Menu's are out, all of our range is ready for our guests and that if / when staff are asked to describe what is available, including telling guests about our great vegetarian sausages, that they do so in a manner that delight a guest rather than disappoints.

Please be assured also that we are conscious about the importance of ensuring that we meet each and every guests dietary requirements in a proactive manner which as I said did not occur for you on this occasion for and I apologise.

In terms of a busy Lounge again I'm sorry but we are a very popular hotel which sometimes can impact on our ability to provide table service to every guest during very busy periods again as you will see from our other reviews guests are normally delighted with 'what we do and how' and so your feedback is so important to us as it identifies further opportunities to improve. I do feel however our prices are very competitive and are based on the ambience and quality of service as well as using the finest products and preparing them properly. All of which I agree seems less of a good reason price wise if the service standard isn't being delivered because the Lounge is so busy. Please note we expect our team to continue to deliver even when we are busy and generally we get this just right.

Please let me know if ever you are planning to return so I can meet you and go through all of our offerings to reassure you that we have concerns at heart and will use your feedback to get even better.

Leigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

My husband and I booked the midland hotel as a last min deal so got a deluxe room at a bargain price- the staff are friendly and courteous and made my stay - the bar however is a bit pricey £ 9.50 for 2 baileys! I have put value as excellent as we paid a reduced price- if I had to pay full price I would give it a very good .

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Dear GA94,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review The Midland and for all your kind words. To be fair we do remain very reasonable as against our city centre competition and operate on a doubles bar basis; with the caveat that our team do advise guests that they can just as easily order a single if they so prefer.

As always we look forward to your return and thank you once again.

The Midland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,291 reviews
The Principal Manchester
The Principal Manchester
#18 of 115 in Manchester

Been to The Midland? Share your experiences!