“B&B ok but expensive; restaurant disappointing”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Stayed as a couple for a weekend, DB&B. You pay big money for this, and for sure the hotel is imposing. All the time I was thinking I could have stayed at Jury's 200 yards away for a third of the price, and was I really getting three times the value at the Midland? That's a subjective choice. Breakfast better organised than many large hotels now that everywhere does a buffet.

We were seriously displeased with the dinner arrangement. First of all the menu choices are very basic: steak, burger, fish and chips, pork belly. See their website; when we were there in March there were also Christmas extra dishes and a special Valentines meal. On the Saturday night there was a function on in a private room and the participants all foregathered in the lobby, so there was a huge hubbub just outside the doors to the restaurant where we were. In addition a live pianist was playing some kind of jazz piano, and also there was a female jazz singer on the piped music in the restaurant. Romantic? No not really.

Checking out there was a lunch charged that we had not had; that kind of thing happens, but the girl then spent ages fiddling through all the bar and meal slips I had signed looking for this one that didn't exist. We had a train to catch, and eventually she said, reluctantly, "I can't fdind it; the only thing I can do is cancel this one." Good idea!

I'm afraid it's Jury's next trip.

Room Tip: We had an upgrade for £15 per room per night (at the weekend). Seemed good value, but then we don...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Dear Afterbrunel

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Midland. I apologise that your stay overall did not meet your expectations. I can advise that following similar feedback we have increased the menu choice for dinner in The Wyvern restaurant. I will forward your comments with regards to your experience checking out of the hotel to the Front Office Manager. As you say, errors can happen but how these are handled are important and I believe this needs to be addressed following your experience.

I would like have the opportunity to show you the usual service which we pride ourselves on and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Michael Magrane,

Write a ReviewReviews (5,252)

Reviewed 24 March 2013

The Midland is a very elegant city centre hotel. Spent 2 nights here with 8 'girl friends' for a Hen Weekend. Our rooms were very comfortable with quality interior furnishings. Our bride and chief hen had a suite which we spend an evening in having a pyjama party following our beauty treatments in the hotel spa. The staff were very helpful at all times. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Emholdstock

Thank you for posting such an excellent review of The Midland. I'm delighted that you had such a wonderful stay for this special occasion and your recommendation is greatly appreciated.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

General Manager.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Recently we filled a long held ambition to stay at the Midland The quality of the welcome was superb, what came over was that the staff are very proud of the hotel and love showing it off. The build ng itself is well worth seeing and the staff delight in showing off its more interesting quirks. Everyone from reception catering gym and security (Joe went out of his way to help) made our stay very special. If you want a memorable stay, stay here

Steve and Barbara Creghan

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Stephen C

Thank you for your excellent review of The Midland following your recent stay. It is always wonderful to read that the team here have delighted our guests. As you state, they are proud of the hotel and it's history and like to share this with our guests.

I hope that we can welcome you back to The Midland in the future.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

I recently stayed on business and only used the hotel at its most basic level, for a good nights sleep, but it was excellent.

The hotel has a lovely quality feel to it, more like an international hotel in th US or Asia. Lovely wide corridors and quality decor. My room was lovely, mix of the traditional and modern. The best bits were a lovely comfy bed and my favourite...climate control so you can get the perfect temperature!

Nice modern bathroom..not exceptionally luxurious, but lovely all the same.

I had breakfast in my room and it was excellent, arrived on time, was still lovely and warm. I left feeling refreshed, which doesnt always happen when you stay in hotels a lot for work. Definitely m favourite Manchester hotel now.

Dear Missie22

Thank you for your excellent review following your recent stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you had such a wonderful stay with us and now regard the hotel as your favourite in Manchester.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Michael Magrane

Reviewed 23 March 2013

The Midland is a centrally located magnificent Edwardian hotel: the interior has been ruined by ill judged modernisations going back to the 1960's. BUT the staff are numerous and helpful, the rooms are comfortable although possibly needing redecoration and for a big hotel they make you welcome. AND The French is one of the best restaurants I've been to.

1  Thank jms020

Dear jms020

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Midland. Your feedback is greatly appreciated particularly your kind comments regarding the team here.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

Very expensive but really nice building
Stayed one night on business breakfast was ok but I expected better quality bacon and sausage tasted cheap
Rooms very nice and quite large
£25 to park car by valet v convenient
Did not have dinner
Staff v attentive and professional

Dear Davegirling

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay at The Midland. I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your overall stay but I will raise your comments regarding the breakfast quality with the Head Chef so that they can be addressed.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with a colleague for a night on business. Did not avail of breakfast option so did not eat here

Hotel kindly upgraded us to bigger rooms on fifth floor on arrival. My room was superb. Massive room. Like a suite really with two huge double beds, couch, 3 armchairs and good bathroom.

Could not fault it especially as it was v reasonable price wise.

Staff really professional and friendly.

Location of hotel is super. Right in city centre and next to tram. V handy if you are going to old Trafford !

Will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Bambergfan

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Midland and for your kind comments particularly regarding the team. It's great to hear your intention to return and I hope that we can welcome you back soon.