“Will be staying here again!!”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Will be staying here again!!”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here for our Anniversary, and it was absolutely amazing. Upon arriving at reception we were greeted by a lovely man (whose name was Richard Barlow I think!) he was very friendly and couldn't do enough to make us feel welcomed. We stayed in the King Deluxe room (517) and it didn't disappoint. The rooms are very clean, well laundered and well laid out. We had a TV and sofa as we entered our room, so it was nice to have a separate area away from our room we could relax in. Considering we were right next to the tram lines there was hardly any noise, and we slept very well - completely undisturbed! We didn't order breakfast so we can't comment on the food, but regardless of that, we would definitely recommend it for it's location, service and outstanding appeal. We will be staying here again in the next few months for Valentines Day and can't wait! We've stayed in many hotels, both in the UK and Europe, but The Midland is on another level - it will not disappoint!

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend a corner room, you get an extra window, although it's not huge it l...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Samantha R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I will pass your compliments onto Richard this evening - I hope we were able to make your anniversary stay extra special.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
North Wales
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

This is our third visit to The Midland in Manchester in the last three years.This time we planned our stay to coincide with the Christmas Markets which have taken over the centre of Manchester and are simply brilliant.The Midland is literally a stones throw from Albert Square where lots of the stalls are situated-many others to be found in St Anns Square and roads radiating off.
Check in at the hotel was quick and efficient and a porter brought our luggage up to the room within minutes.We got an upgraded room which was huge,extremely clean and very quiet as it looked out over the back of the hotel.The ensuite was also large and spotlessly clean.We ate in Mr Coopers-based in the hotel and the food was wonderful.Simon Rogan is a Michelin star chef and it showed in the quality and taste.Apparently he is the same chef who has The French Restaurant also based at The Midland but the food in Mr.Coopers is more general and importantly more affordable if you havn't got money to burn.They were putting the Christmas decorations up whilst we were there and we spent a very enjoyable couple of hours one morning over coffee and homemade shortbread watching them hoist the huge Christmas tree into place which takes centre stage in the foyer.We had an amazing four days at this iconic, welcoming hotel and will certainly return next year to enjoy some more Midland hospitality.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Welshflower,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding your check-in, room and our concierge team are much appreciated.

Nottingham, England
Reviewed 29 November 2013

When I wrote my PhD tea at the Midland was a rare treat and I promised myself that one day I would stay there. A recent business trip gave me the chance and the hotel lived up to my expectations. It is a beautiful building and any modernisations are in keeping. Staff were really friendly and helpful and as professional as you would expect it from a hotel like the Midland. My room was very nice (a little small for two, but lovely just for me), with a very comfy bed and fluffy towels. It was also blissfully quiet. I especially liked the personal touch of having a personalised welcome card from the manager. This was definitely not my last stay at the Midland and my only regret is that I did not get chance to have tea this time.

Room Tip: Have a room overlooking the courtyard if you want a quiet night - not the best view, but you will sl...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Northernlassie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read how well we lived up to your expectations and I'm pleased that you thought our welcome cards were a nice touch.

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Built before the age of the car, the Midland Hotel is still the number one in Manchester, if not G.B. Historic, iconic, friendly and very good value when you include a show with your stay on Superbreak or similar. Staff are all first class and helpful, and have already began to save up for our next trip. Next time you are in Manchester , bob in for a tea or something stronger and have a look around, you will be impressed!

Room Tip: Ask for a Midland suite facing the front of the hotel.
Dear Gedoflittlelever,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read your description of the hotel as "Historic, iconic, friendly and very good value" and your description of the staff here as "first class and helpful"

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Check in was fine, nice and friendly. I was asked if I wanted an early morning call, which I did, but it never arrived. I had room 631, a good size and plenty of space. It became clear late in the evening that the aircon didn't work, in fact when I looked at the display on the system it said "fault". It was noisy anyway, so turning it off helped me get a good nights sleep.
Although my room rate included breakfast, at the breakfast restaurant they tried to tell me my rate was room only. I went to reception to complain and they confirmed that breakfast was included and got me into the restaurant. A waste of 5-10 minutes though which I could well do without. Breakfast was uninspiring and all of the "hot" items were lukewarm, so not a lot to be thankful for in reality.
The attitude is a bit complacent, clearly they get a lot of business and are well located, but I would probably not go out of my way to stay there again when there are good alternatives in the area unless I was forced to do so or there was a great offer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Donald M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I will pass your comments describing your check-in as "nice and friendly" onto our Front Office Team and I'm pleased you thought room 631 was a good size. However, I'm sorry that your experience with maintenance and breakfast did not live up to your expectations and will pass your observations onto the relevant teams so that they can make improvements where possible.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Me and friends stayed over at this hotel last weekend for the boxing fight at the Phones4U Arena mainly because of the hotel's location and how nearby it was. Some of my friends made this recommendation to me. We checked in abit later than 3pm and the room was clean and spacious. A/C installed which is good because I couldnt open my window due to health and safety!!! Receptionist was v friendly. Close links to tram station and train stations which was an advantage as was meeting up with friends. I flew over from London and the airport was about 10 miles away which was convenient. The lounge bar area was quite busy later at night however £10 for a gin and tonic is slightly extortionate. A waitress by the name of Sanaa from the bar area had served us, v attentive and helpful. A credit to the hotel as she did promote the fact that I should share my experience at the hotel on Trip Advisor - breakfast was good, fast service but only dissappoint was that it is just a little too pricey for my liking. Money well spent though. Check out was 11am which was good too as it wasn't too early. Didn't get to use the spa facilities which was a shame but I will be sure to bring my wife here too!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Lee V,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read your compliments regarding your room and I will personally pass your commendation onto Sanaa later today.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed one night at the Midland and really enjoyed it. It's conveniently situated for all local attractions. The staff were really helpful and friendly, especially at reception and the restaurant staff when we had our breakfast, I'm coeliac and when I asked for gluten free bread it was no trouble.
The only downside to the hotel is the amount of cigarette butts where the staff have their breaks and smoke, also outside the restaurant at the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Join the breakaway club and get great discounts £50 b&b on a Sunday night good value.
Dear Ricci1104,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding the team here are much appreciated, and I will pass your observations onto our Public Areas department to make improvements where necessary.