“Its changed”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #12 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This has always been our favourite hotel having stayed here on many occasions. It is still a good hotel but I've got to say don't bother having breakfast its appalling .save the money and eat out. Cold bacon cold plates a toasting machine that doesn't work .having to share your table with strangers rather uncomfortable also they seem under staffed .

• Stayed: December 2013
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear shilly33,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased you think we're a good hotel but I'm sorry to her that you were disappointed with breakfast during your most recent stay and ask if you would be able to contact one of our Food & Beverage Managers on 0161 236 3333 or at midlandF&B@qhotels.co.uk to discuss your experience further.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,307)

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Time and time again we choose to stay at the Midland. Located ideally in the centre of the town, ideal this time of the year for the famous Christmas markets. Great room, comfortable bed and feather pillows. Breakfast in the room was good quality and plenty if it! Would recommend.

Dear clairestevie_13,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding the location, rooms and breakfast which the hotel offers are much appreciated.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed overnight whilst visiting the Bridgewater Hall for a 60s night. I had booked the stay quite some time ago and realised recently that I had made a mistake. Contacted customer services at the Q hotels HQ and quite disappointed with the negative response. Contacted the Midland direct and my mistake was speedily rectified without fuss, well done. Have been staying at the Midland for many years, way back into the time when it was a Crowne Plaza and have seen many changes. Although we have to make progress I am not sure that the massive changes to the 'French' are for the better, it has changed from a very elegant and sophisticated dining experience to what now looks like an average cafe with an expensive menu the likes of which can only be described as 'different'. I hope there are enough people to keep it going as the hotel and it's history deserves a really good eating experience. The stay as a whole was first class and I would recommend the hotel to anyone.

Dear Clive S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm sorry that you weren't happy with your experience of the customer services team at Central Reservations, however it's great to read that our in-house team were able to rectify your reservation without any further fuss.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed with family there last night, and it is just so striking, from the minute you enter the grand entrance, with some of these older hotels they don't modernise the rooms very easily but the Midland is a great combination of tasteful decor and a clean modern bathroom really well done.

Breakfast on a Saturday however I like it to be relaxed, read the papers etc but it was equivalent to the chaos of Manchester Piccadilly mainline station in the rush hour. Food badly laid out in the bar (bit like a premier inn!), with people queuing round the bacon, couldn't find anything, Too small an area for the people,, staff run off their feet tidying up before you were finished, this was a bit of a train wreck I'm afraid. However apart from this the midland is a real experience at you must try if you stay in Manc. Manc has some really good ones and the midland is up there with them.

Room Tip: Book ahead hotels in Manchester cost a lot when the football is on. I like to face the broadwater h...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Cactustoaster,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm glad to read that you thought we had managed to modernise the hotel sympathetically and I will pass your comments regarding breakfast to the relevant departments who I'm sure will make improvements where possible.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here for our Anniversary, and it was absolutely amazing. Upon arriving at reception we were greeted by a lovely man (whose name was Richard Barlow I think!) he was very friendly and couldn't do enough to make us feel welcomed. We stayed in the King Deluxe room (517) and it didn't disappoint. The rooms are very clean, well laundered and well laid out. We had a TV and sofa as we entered our room, so it was nice to have a separate area away from our room we could relax in. Considering we were right next to the tram lines there was hardly any noise, and we slept very well - completely undisturbed! We didn't order breakfast so we can't comment on the food, but regardless of that, we would definitely recommend it for it's location, service and outstanding appeal. We will be staying here again in the next few months for Valentines Day and can't wait! We've stayed in many hotels, both in the UK and Europe, but The Midland is on another level - it will not disappoint!

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend a corner room, you get an extra window, although it's not huge it l...

Dear Samantha R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I will pass your compliments onto Richard this evening - I hope we were able to make your anniversary stay extra special.

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

This is our third visit to The Midland in Manchester in the last three years.This time we planned our stay to coincide with the Christmas Markets which have taken over the centre of Manchester and are simply brilliant.The Midland is literally a stones throw from Albert Square where lots of the stalls are situated-many others to be found in St Anns Square and roads radiating off.
Check in at the hotel was quick and efficient and a porter brought our luggage up to the room within minutes.We got an upgraded room which was huge,extremely clean and very quiet as it looked out over the back of the hotel.The ensuite was also large and spotlessly clean.We ate in Mr Coopers-based in the hotel and the food was wonderful.Simon Rogan is a Michelin star chef and it showed in the quality and taste.Apparently he is the same chef who has The French Restaurant also based at The Midland but the food in Mr.Coopers is more general and importantly more affordable if you havn't got money to burn.They were putting the Christmas decorations up whilst we were there and we spent a very enjoyable couple of hours one morning over coffee and homemade shortbread watching them hoist the huge Christmas tree into place which takes centre stage in the foyer.We had an amazing four days at this iconic, welcoming hotel and will certainly return next year to enjoy some more Midland hospitality.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Welshflower,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding your check-in, room and our concierge team are much appreciated.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

When I wrote my PhD tea at the Midland was a rare treat and I promised myself that one day I would stay there. A recent business trip gave me the chance and the hotel lived up to my expectations. It is a beautiful building and any modernisations are in keeping. Staff were really friendly and helpful and as professional as you would expect it from a hotel like the Midland. My room was very nice (a little small for two, but lovely just for me), with a very comfy bed and fluffy towels. It was also blissfully quiet. I especially liked the personal touch of having a personalised welcome card from the manager. This was definitely not my last stay at the Midland and my only regret is that I did not get chance to have tea this time.

Room Tip: Have a room overlooking the courtyard if you want a quiet night - not the best view, but you will sl...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Northernlassie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read how well we lived up to your expectations and I'm pleased that you thought our welcome cards were a nice touch.