“As good as last time - excellent!!”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Our return visit to The Midland was as good as we had expereinced on our previous trips. The service is second to none as soon as you get out of the taxi - the doorman is charming, the receptionist are very efficient, the Guest Relations manager [Thomas] was so welcoming and efficient, the waitresses were good, the concierge very knowledgeable, the room was immaculate - not much else to say- I think I've praised the whole staff!! A lovely two night stay .........and Black Sabbath were AWESOME!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear Brian D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I have already passed your kind comments onto the whole team here and I am pleased to have been able to personally help you during your stay.

It's great to read how much you enjoyed your visit and especially the Black Sabbath concert - I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Midland was a very smart and impressive hotel but what really impressed me were the staff.
All of them were helpful and attentive and very friendly. Being heavily pregnant, nothing was too much trouble and each person showed a genuine interest in talking to me about the impending new arrival!
On my return when I realised I had forgotten something in my room, this has been sorted without fuss and easily.
The room was clean, comfy and well decorated.
The food was excellent.
Overall a great place to stay and would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Claire C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and how impressed you were by your room, food and the service you received. Good luck with the new arrival!

I hope we can welcome you both back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We bought the Xmas shopping special upgrade to a suite ,wine chocolate and a fifty pound voucher for £240 , not too shabby
The first issue is they don't answer the phones externally or internally for a long time they charged us £25 to valet the car so I would recommend you park it yourself
The suite was generally ok two single beds pushed together two big rooms just the bathroom was disappointing very small shower over bath few things missing hand lotion close up mirror ..
The hotel itself is a marvellous building lots going on feels like a conference hotel staff is variable many very good some less so. Dining is good
The French is first class and Mr Cooper is reasonable
The bar lounge area is fine but lacking in any life the night we stayed could have done with live music
Overall average excepting The French

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Dave381381,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read that you enjoyed your visit to the French, I'm sorry that you didn't feel some of the rest of the hotel lived up to your expectations - I will pass your observations onto the relevant departments who I'm sure will make improvements where necessary.

Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

We stay here for one night on 14/12/12. From check in to check out our stay was lovely.
We received a very warm welcome. Our room was spotless and meet all out needs. We ordered breakfast to our room which came on time and was delicious there was not to much food nor too little on your plate it was just right.

We will certainly be staying again in the future.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Kellyphoebe,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding the warm welcome you received, how pleased you were with the room and how tasty your room service breakfast was are much appreciated.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Staff were incredibly friendly, interested and helpful. Sarah D and Sami P-L (bar) were very friendly and enthusiastic, and very attentive. Kevin S had the difficult task of dealing with all baggage for the delegates, and was also very attentive. The food was excellent, and hosting and attention to detail was exceptional throughout the hotel and work teams.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Samantha M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read that you found the staff here incredibly friendly, interested and helpful - I will pass your personal compliments onto Sarah, Sami and Kevin later today.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

This hotel's service by far the worst we've had in our life.

We were given a first floor room, on the same level as the conference hall. At the time they also had filming crew in the hotel (which we were not warned about) and this meant constant traffic of people in the corridor. Which of course we could hear from our room as early as 7am.

The room was so small we couldn't park our pram next to the bed. In fact, the room had more hight then width or length. Looking out of the window, we had a generous view of - roof and back end of their building. The only good thing was the bathroom with good power shower.

Next morning at the breakfast we had to hunt the waiter down for hot drinks and high chair. It apprantly wasn't obvious we had a toddler with us. We've only managed to receive tea after we've finished our breakfast. The food was ok - standard affair of not so tasty buffe style cooked and continental food.

When we checked out and tried to use the link corridoor to central station we were stopped - due to filming we were not allowed to use it and we should walk around the hotel outside. When I pointed out the rain outside and our baby and luggage, we were told "you can borrow an umbrella from the concierge service".

Overall impression we had was this hotel care very little about their paying customers and will treat their corporate mates far better. I suppose my £150 means very little to them. Will I be staying here again? Definitely not, I'd rather stay in travel lodge next time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to The Midland. I'm sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations and ask if you would be able to contact me directly on 0161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk to discuss your experience further.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed at The Midland back in October for one night and thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. The location was perfect for where I needed to be in the city the following day. The staff at check-in were very friendly and welcoming and were able to make a reservation for me that evening in 'Mr Cooper's House and Garden Restaurant'.

My room was a good size - plenty big enough for me for the one night. The style of the room and the decor was lovely - simple but with some period-style features. The bathroom was spacious and very clean. The TV system they had in the room was very high-tech with internet access and links to various apps and websites, including (surprisingly), Tripadvisor! It really does show they have belief in their hotel when access to this website is shown.

As with any city centre hotel, I never sleep very well but this was not down to the hotel but just general traffic noise. The bed was comfortable.

Food in 'Mr Cooper's House and Garden' Restaurant was delicious and presented beautifully. Portions were on the smaller side but the food was rich and contained many flavours so I appreciated that more. Breakfast, however, was a little disappointing, particularly as I had expected a restaurant of this quality to offer a bigger selection. I expected the offer of something else cooked other than your standard English Breakfast but this was not available. It's a shame as I think it would be appreciated by many more.

All-in-all, this was a great one night stay and I would recommend it to others and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear springz25,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read how welcoming our reception team were and that you had the chance to visit our new restaurant, Mr. Cooper's House & Garden.

I'm sorry that breakfast didn't quite live up to your expectations but I am confident that our Food & Beverage team are improving this area as much as possible.