“Extremely friendly hotel”

Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Adlington
“Extremely friendly hotel”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I worked at the Midland 46 years ago and my visit brought back many happy memories. Whilst the building itself has not changed at all, the decor has giving what used to be a very sober building a lighter airy feeling.

We stayed for one night to visit the local fairs, museums and of course The French. Every member of the staff appeared happy, very friendly and attentive. Whilst the bedroom was "cosy" in space, it was "cosy" in warmth, everything was within reach and it had everything one would need. Wifi reception free and excellent.

Breakfast more than ample - which finished off a fabulous stay.

Only one tiny tiny criticism - no ginger ale or beer in any of the bars - therefore my husband's chosen cocktail was impossible. But it was nearly Christmas so who cares.

Room Tip: If arriving by car the hotel does have a valet parking service which when compared to the amount pai...
1 Thank Sue O
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Sue O,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased that your return to the hotel brought back many happy memories and I hope you liked the re-design of The French.

I'm sorry that we didn't have any Ginger ale or beer available during your visit - we do stock both as a rule but I'm afraid our supplies had run out - I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Manchester
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed here the weekend before Christmas and is was excellent. Got a quiet, inward facing room on the fifth floor which made a superb base to explore manchester; the room had everything you could need, was quiet and was really comfortable.

The staff are very helpful and friendly - not stuffy at all; breakfast is great and is on till 11. This worked well as we went for walks round town and ate mid morning - no need for lunch! The location is perfect and, although we didn't use it, the valet parking is good value at £25 per night. We stay in manchester loads but have never stayed at The Midland before; if we can get a similar deal next time, we definitely will again.

Dear Off their P,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how much you enjoyed you visit to Manchester and that our weekend breakfast times suited your plans. I'm sure the team here will be pleased by your comments describing them as very helpful and friendly.

London
Reviewed 21 December 2013

After searching last minute for nice looking hotels in a good location for the Christmas market I decided to book the Midland, great welcome from concierge, we arrive 30 minutes early but they were happy to find a room for us. We booked a standard room, nicely surprised, good size, really comfy bed, bath was a little on the small side but shower was great!The only down side was the noise from the trams, we were situated opposite a main tram stop and you could feel the rumbling and vibrations in the room! We only stayed one night and spent very little time in the room so this was not too much of an issue. We were unable to book into The French for dinner as this was fully booked (Note to self to be a bit more organised!) so ate at Mr Coopers House and Garden, also situated in The Midland, had a thoroughly enjoyable three courses and the cocktails are a must! Would stay again if in Manchester.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Foodie F,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding the service you received from our front of house team are much appreciated. I'm sorry that you weren't able to experience the delights of the French - I hope the team there can welcome you on your next visit.

It's great, however, to read how much you enjoyed Mr. Cooper's House & Garden (and their cocktail selection!)

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Our return visit to The Midland was as good as we had expereinced on our previous trips. The service is second to none as soon as you get out of the taxi - the doorman is charming, the receptionist are very efficient, the Guest Relations manager [Thomas] was so welcoming and efficient, the waitresses were good, the concierge very knowledgeable, the room was immaculate - not much else to say- I think I've praised the whole staff!! A lovely two night stay .........and Black Sabbath were AWESOME!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Brian D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I have already passed your kind comments onto the whole team here and I am pleased to have been able to personally help you during your stay.

It's great to read how much you enjoyed your visit and especially the Black Sabbath concert - I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Midland was a very smart and impressive hotel but what really impressed me were the staff.
All of them were helpful and attentive and very friendly. Being heavily pregnant, nothing was too much trouble and each person showed a genuine interest in talking to me about the impending new arrival!
On my return when I realised I had forgotten something in my room, this has been sorted without fuss and easily.
The room was clean, comfy and well decorated.
The food was excellent.
Overall a great place to stay and would recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Claire C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and how impressed you were by your room, food and the service you received. Good luck with the new arrival!

I hope we can welcome you both back to the hotel soon.

Tarporley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

We bought the Xmas shopping special upgrade to a suite ,wine chocolate and a fifty pound voucher for £240 , not too shabby
The first issue is they don't answer the phones externally or internally for a long time they charged us £25 to valet the car so I would recommend you park it yourself
The suite was generally ok two single beds pushed together two big rooms just the bathroom was disappointing very small shower over bath few things missing hand lotion close up mirror ..
The hotel itself is a marvellous building lots going on feels like a conference hotel staff is variable many very good some less so. Dining is good
The French is first class and Mr Cooper is reasonable
The bar lounge area is fine but lacking in any life the night we stayed could have done with live music
Overall average excepting The French

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Dave381381,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read that you enjoyed your visit to the French, I'm sorry that you didn't feel some of the rest of the hotel lived up to your expectations - I will pass your observations onto the relevant departments who I'm sure will make improvements where necessary.