“Such excellent service”

Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
UK
“Such excellent service”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed here over the weekend with my mither who has poor mobility. Staff couldn't have been more kind and helpful, which made it a whole lot easier. Very attractive room at a very reasonable rate. Happy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lori_Willi
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear lwarren18,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit and that our attentive staff were able to help to make your trip easier.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in November to do some shopping at the Christmas markets and to see War Horse at The Lowry. Hotel is very central, close to St Peters Square (tram links) and about 5-10 min walk to Deansgate. Upon checking in we asked for quiet rooms away from the lifts and I especially asked to be in a room away from trams as they toot their horns every couple of seconds. I was reassured that there would be no tram noise - NOT THE CASE!! Till gone midnight and then again from about 6am it was almost constant tram noise. I asked if I could mov rooms but was told there was none available.

My room felt very dark and squashed, however my friend on the opposite corridor had a light airy room. I have to admit the room and bathroom was spotless with a good selection of toiletries and tea/coffee/biscuits etc. I do think if 2 people in (it was a double) then it would have been very cramped.

Breakfast was good and plenty of it.

The major drawback of this hotel is they cater for large conference parties, several of which arrived on the Thursday morning, they very, very loud, got preferential treatment in the bar (a group of 8 arrived after us in the bar on Thurs, but drinks orders taken immediately, we had to wait almost 15 mins).

We booked this Hotel in their Winter sale and therefore got a good rate, I don't think it is worth the price they normally charge.

Room Tip: Probably impossible but check if they have conference bookings in.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ShirazMerlot
Dear ShirazMerlot,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to The Midland. I'm sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations and ask if you would be able to contact me directly on 0161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk to discuss your experience further.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Surrey, England
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Stayed here on business for one night in November with 5 work colleagues.

This is a good city centre hotel, with nice airy rooms and comfortable beds. The hotel looks impressive from the outside and reception has plenty of desks, check in was OK, but check out took a bit longer than I would have hoped.

We didn't eat here as it was a bit expensive, as were the drinks in the bar, however there are plenty of pubs and eating places nearby and we used a few of these !

Breakfast was buffet style and with a large hotel you just had to time it right to make sure it was not too crowded to let you get a good plateful in one go.

Overall we got a good price, a good location, nice room and we will book this one again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear CRose8,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased that you found the Midland to be a good city centre hotel, and it's great to read that our location suited you and your colleagues during your trip.

Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This was our first visit to The Midland, and our appointed room was somewhat of a disappointment. The room stank of damp or mildew. The air-conditioning unit sounded as if someone had left an empty tin can next to the fan. The bathroom tiles were missing grout.
We returned to reception, and got another room, which was better.
Thats if you like beige.
The walls were beige, the carpet was beige, the bed covers were beige.
We left our room, the staff were dressed in beige, again the walls and carpets were beige!!!!
The Midland is in an ideal location, well situated in the centre of town, but situated well away from the car park.
The public rooms were ok and quite spectacular, the bar was expensive and adequate. I had to wait twenty minutes, while all the wedding guests got their drinks. Why is there no waiter service?
Breakfast again was ok, but nothing to write home about.
All in all, The Midland was rather like the colour beige..............very boring!!!!

1 Thank PaulWhitehead409
Dear YosemitePaul,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm sorry that the decor in your room was not to your taste - I will also speak with the managers of all departments to ensure that their teams are wearing the correct clothing as none of our uniforms are beige - in fact most are purple or black in colour.

I'm sorry that you found the car park too far from the hotel; we do have a valet parking service operated by our Concierge team which is available to guests at £25.00 for 24 hours.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon so that we can have the opportunity to improve your opinion of The Midland.

Rowsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Spent 2 nights B and B at The Midland. Really nice Hotel with no problems whatsoever! Good location for shops etc. Breakfast was a really nice buffet, with a great selection! Would highly recommend staying here.

1 Thank Jan H
Dear Jan H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments will be much appreciated by the team here - I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the position of the hotel suited your visit.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I am a regular stayer at the midland - was there for 2 weeks in November and also last week for 6 days.

The staff at the hotel make the difference for me - always helpful - i had to get an extra night on both recent trips and the reception staff were very good and attentive - thanks to Chloe and Ramona.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Joseph K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I am very pleased to read how helpful and attentive you have found our Reception staff during your recent visits - I will congratulate them myself later today.

Düsseldorf
Reviewed 25 December 2013

The hotel looks absolutely impressing from the outside und also inside in the lobby area. The hall is very large with several reception desks (this doesn't mean however that you don't have to queue almost every time you want to talk to a receptionist ...)

The staff was friendly in a business-like manner, only the "concierge", an elderly man in a nice suit, was interested in really listening and helping you.

In all, the hotel is very busy with all kinds of events which leads to a bit of a "train station atmosphere", also breakfast was very busy with having to queue up to get a table. (The elderly lady serving us is a great person and went out of her way to please us.)

The chambermaids seemed a bit forgetful, one evening I found a feather duster outside our door, the next afternoon I had a cleaning sponge lying next to my toothbrush in the bathroom.

Given the relatively high prices, I couldn't believe that
a) it was very noisy at night
b) there was no heating in the bathroom at all, it being December meant the tiled floor and everything else was ice cold
and c) worst of all: you cannot open the windows!

Not only does that mean you cannot have a bit of fresh air, but also due to condensation on the double-glazed windows you couldn't even look outside, let alone take photos from there (I add some photos about the state of those windows...) It makes you feel like in prison, and I don't understand this restriction at all!

Dear Kit0405,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm sorry that you felt aspects of the hotel did not live up to your expectations, I'm afraid the windows in some rooms don't open due to health and safety restrictions which were not in place when the hotel was first built.

I am pleased to read that you found the concierge helpful and one of our Food & Beverage Assistants went out of her way to please you – I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future and improve your opinion of The Midland.