US$106
US$99
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$113/night.

US$90
US$81
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$94/night.

Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$111
US$100
Doubletree
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$115/night.

US$164
US$85
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$98/night.

5,556 results
All reviewsmr coopersafternoon teaq hotelsoctagon loungebeautiful hotelsuperior roomfantastic staymini barreception areacentral manchestersaturday nightlovely roomcity centrestayed for one nightmember of staffmidlandswyvern
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I will go by area as differing experiences in different areas, stayed 2 nights B&B for business:

Entrance: very impressive grand foyer with top-hatted concierges and a great big artificial Lilly tree in the middle, definite wow factor.

Room: well appointed and clean, spacious with flat screen television, mini-bar, seating area and kettle area. Loses marks (very good, not excellent) as there was only one type of tea provided (English breakfast), it is very unusual to find this above 3stars and I would expect a small selection of teas and possibly a hot chocolate. Also there is no guest directory except on the interactive TV meaning you had to turn that on and negotiate the menu to find simple facts.

Octagon bar: impressive but service slow and staff who served me on each occasion were Impolite, not once were the following words used: please, thank you, sir. I observed one young man behind the bar when trying to attract the attention of some ladies who are my colleagues (he had gone to get the card machine) say "oi girls!" I asked them what the though of this but didn't hear it thankfully (I actually attracted their attention to the card reader). I was also given and charged for doubles automatically not offered the choice. This poor service was not isolated to the bar as we shall see later.

Conference facilities: impressive rooms used (Alexandria and Trafford I believe) and the staff dealt with here were actually well trained and polite, only a pity other departments let them down. The food was good here including all snacks, buffet lunch and 3-course banqueting meal, though I did seem to find the sourest piece of pineapple in the world at lunch on the second day. The big issue I have is the toilets attached to the Alexandria room which are the grottiest, dirtiest toilets I have seen in a hotel, a pub would be ashamed, and they were dirty on both days.

Breakfast: this was absolutely dire on both days and in entirely different ways. On the first day we were greeted at the door to "mr. coopers bar and restaurant by simon rogan" by a manager who must have been a checkpoint guard in a previous life! Having shown our papers and found our names on the list we were seated under a parasol (indoors so it blocks all the light under it - poor design choice) and chose our hot breakfast items and were poured a cup of tea or coffee and went to make the best of the stingiest most insipid looking selection of one bowl of fruit salad (which had banana in it which I am allergic to so couldn't eat) one flavour yoghurt and cold croissants/pains aux chocolate I have ever had put before me. Having made the best of this the hot items came but we found as the staff made no eye contact that getting more coffee/tea was difficult. As it happened this is the a la carte breakfast experience and we later discovered others in our group had been spuriously barred entry by the gastronomic gate keeper and made to use the cold continental breakfast in a different room despite the bookings having been made on the contact of a full English breakfast. The breakfast sentry later explained the 2 class system is new so it would appear the hotel are converting all previous bookings to the paupers option to skim more money as the prices in the a la carte were top dollar if you were paying them! Second day things really went downhill. The exact same dismal fruit salad, pastries and yoghurt were available but the hot orders took 3/4 of an hour to come and were wrong when they did so some had to wait 1 and a1/4 hours for food, we weren't given juice or tea or coffee, almost none of the staff could speak English and those who could had no idea what to do, they didn't communicate to us after we complained and again none would make eye contact so you couldn't get their attention. The food that did arrive was Luke warm and not of great taste or quality. It is a farce and not worth the price they are asking for it under any circumstances. Also if Simon rogan (whoever he is) cant get a couple of fry-ups right god help anyone going to dinner! The only part of a full English that needs to be cooked to order is the egg, everything else is usually in every other hotel in the country, oven cooked then browned briefly on the grill before plating with beans and mushrooms in a bain marine. Simples. And this tasted no better than I have had in any other hotel in the country. To add to all of the above this made us all late for the conference we were attending in the hotel.

In conclusion don't try to be pretentious with a full service breakfast if this is how it goes, don't be so greedy, stick to a buffet for all and keep everyone happy. These farcical episodes completely ruined the experience. It is fair to add apologies and reimbursements were made but the honest truth I will not be rushing back unless I have to. Midland hotel, you only get one first impression!

Room Tip: My room and those of my colleagues seemed of equal standard.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank G_O_C479
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear G_O_C479,

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to The Midland. I'm sorry that your recent stay did not live up to your expectations and ask if you would be able to contact me directly on 0161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk to discuss your experience further.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

The Midland has been my 'hotel of choice' over many years when visiting Manchester. However, on my last visit (28/12/13) a catalogue of very serious events occurred:
1. The water ran like brown varnish suggesting serious problems with the plumbing.Had I taken a sample to Public Health they may well have closed the hotel. Who knows what water borne bugs lurked there!
2. Breakfast in the newly re-furbished dining room was a complete disaster: the table was far too small for two people, creating a dangerous situation with large plates and coffee pots balanced precariously on the edge! The food was completely cold, which was hardly surprising considering it was very undercooked!
When I expressed my disappointment on departure I was offered the cancellation of my bar bill, which amounted to two cups of coffee!
A later email from Thomas Smith, the Customer Relations Manager, offered me 'a free upgrade' on my next visit! Now who in their right mind would throw good money after bad to risk a repeat performance?
In desperation, I placed a phone call to the HQ of Q Hotels, in Leeds. I spoke to Stacey Kingswood, who promised to investigate and get back to me. That was some two and a half weeks ago and I am still waiting for the call!
Needless to say I will not be staying at the Midland again and would advise others to do likewise.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ann E

Dear Ann E,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to The Midland. I'm sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations and that we were unable to work together to find a solution.

Having spoken to our Maintenance team this issue can sometimes happen when our water tanks are cleaned, we do try to have this work carried out when the hotel is at a low occupancy level however the water can sometimes take some time to be flushed through the system. I can assure you that our water is regularly tested to the guidelines set out by the UK Health & Safety Executive.

We have already started to improve our breakfast offering: We now have two options; an À la carte menu in Mr. Cooper’s House & Garden and a Continental buffet in The Wyvern. This gives more choice to our guests and has also improved the quality of the hot breakfast by enabling us to control the temperature and quality of each plate, as well as the quality of the continental buffet by giving us more space for an extended selection.

Please accept my apologies again, I hope you will consider staying with us again some time in the future.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The Midland Hotel is centrally located and looks ideal for business, shopping, sight seeing and leisure. It's about a 10 minute walk from the main Piccadilly station.
The room itself was clean and well furnished with a very comfortable bed and a modern TV with multiple channels.
The hotel has two restaurants and both seem popular with locals. The food in what I think was called the Garden restaurant was excellent for both breakfast and dinner. The second restaurant is relatively new and sounded classy. Unfortunately I did not visit it during my stay. The lobby also had a popular bar area.
I received internet for free and I believe I could also get a free newspaper although I downloaded mine via the internet service.
The gym was pretty good and even included a squash court and a reasonable swimming pool. A spa was on site although I didn't use it.
Service was friendly and attentive. Overall I would not hesitate to return and would thoroughly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear jonwells1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how pleased you were with your stay and will pass your compliments onto all of the staff here; especially the team at Mr. Cooper's House & Garden.

Thank you for your recommendation - I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed here for a few days comming into Christmas and the hotel was excellent.
All the staff, from the front desk down to those cleaning the rooms, were very professional and nothing seemed to be a problem.
The room was comfortable, eventhough one might consider it a little small. No complaints or problems and I would stay here again without any hesitation.
The gym, pool and spa were all very good, and the quality of our meals was excellent - couldn't complian.
Very enjoyable stay !!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Rene L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. it's great to read how pleased you were with the facilities and food during your stay - I'm pleased to read such excellent comments regarding our staff and will pass your compliments on later today.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have stayed in a number of Q hotels throughout the country and all have been of the highest quality. We spent two nights last weekend (17th and 18th) at the Midlands Hotel in Manchester to celebrate my mum's 70th Birthday. As an existing loyalty customer I had no issues booking 4 rooms and we got a great rate. The hotel itself is a mixture of period and modern but this works really well; specifically the lobby, restaurant and bar areas look fantastic and opulent. Included in our package was a continental breakfast which again was excellent (you could though have the full English at a £20 surcharge). The staff were all brilliant and helpful particularly during breakfast when they could not do enough for you. The concierge staff helped us and booked a local restaurant for us and even provided directions. Overall a great break and I would not hesitate to recommend the Midland hotel or any other Q hotel - a great and trusted brand.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear gmerriman,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm so pleased to read how happy you were with your visit and hope we were able to make your mum's 70th birthday even more special.

It’s fantastic to read that you enjoyed our new breakfast arrangements and hope that you will be able to enjoy our à la carte breakfast menu in the future for the upgrade charge of £10.00 (the £20.00 charge is for guests who’s rate does not include breakfast at all).

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.