5,653 results
All reviewsmr coopersafternoon teaq hotelsoctagon loungebeautiful hotelsuperior roomfantastic staymini barreception areacentral manchestersaturday nightlovely roomcity centrecooked breakfaststayed for one nightmember of staffmidlands
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Having made dinner arrangements and lunch the next day, my partner and I were unable to dine in the restaurant for our evening meal or breakfast though all other aspects of the hotel were very good; what you would expect from a 4* hotel.

The entrance hall was the grandest I've ever seen, the service was very good and the hotel offered a valet service as the car park was some distance away. The bedroom was very clean and comfortable, but a nice big bedroom to match our upgraded king size bed would have improved our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed on the sixth floor so the noise from outside, being a city centre hotel would not disturb our sleep.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kershia Kewi W
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear KWilliams2013,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read such great comments regarding our foyer, the service you received and the valet parking option which we offer.

I'm sorry that the size of your room did not meet your expectations; the hotel does comprise of Standard Rooms (Double, King or Twin beds), Superior Rooms (King or Twin beds) as well as Junior suites (Kind or Twin beds) and Master Suites (King beds).

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I had to stay in Manchester last week, three days for a business conference. Managed to get a room at The Midland, where I last stayed about 25 years ago, on the first weekend it reopened after a massive refurbish. Much has changed since, indeed even the name of the main conference centre, at the rear of the hotel, has changed from the G-Mex to The Central. Weird, why? Had me fooled for a few minutes.
Hotel is one of those grand old Victorian railway beacons, which still retain a certain grandeur at the front. Concierge/doormen are spot on, by the taxi door before the vehicle ahs fully stopped. Luggage whisked through to reception desk with no fuss.
Check-in was quick. No fuss. And part of what gives this hotel it's "flavour" is the friendly, bluff, Northern-ness of the staff. Relaxed and welcoming and yet very professional.
Room was exactly what I had specified, first floor, near to lifts but not a noisy corner. Perfect. Double king size bed, lots of pillows and cushions and a deep mattress protector made this a very comfortable few nights and spotlessly clean. Bathroom was well equipped apart from lacking a face flannel. Good lobby area with bar/tea/coffee making facilities.
Breakfast is buffet style. Nicely laid out restaurant, plenty of room between tables, discreet service, coffee brought to the table in moments. Food standard was good. Did not eat apart from breakfast, so can't comment on lunch/dinner.
All round, a really good experience and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Room 122 - just around corner from lifts but quiet. Boring view onto brick walls but perfect for a business trip.
1  Thank westcliff10

Dear Wescliffe10,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how pleased you were with your recent visit; I will pass your kind compliments onto our Doorman, Concierge and Reception team. I will also feed your kind comments regarding the excellent standard of cleanliness and amenities in your room back to our Housekeeping team

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

This hotel is in the tradition of Victorian splendour. The rooms are generally of good size with comfortable beds. The heating/air conditioning is client controlled. On the corridor walls hang framed sets of historical items of interest from previous generations, postcards, Christmas cards and letters. I find it fascinating to go around and read as many as I can during my stays. I have stayed in this hotel on numerous occasions and as far as I am concerned it gets better each time.
Recently they have introduced individually cooked breakfasts in one restaurant and a very extensive continental breakfast in another restaurant.
The staff are all very friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the tram lines are quieter.

Dear 200Elaine,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read such great comments regarding your previous stays and our new breakfast arrangements.

I must confess I always try to follow the stories of our archives on the corridors upstairs so it's fantastic to read you enjoy investigating them so much!

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

There was a day when the Midland was Manchester's top hotel. While it is not super-modern glass and steel it's still got opulence.

I stayed for a couple of nights in January, having got a good advance rate booking. The room wasn't massive, but it was comfortable, very clean and had everything you need. Some of the furniture was slightly oddly mismatched - the fridge in the room looked like it was built for nightclub rather than a hotel.

The decor is good, certainly not modern but well placed in the grand old building. The staff were friendly, efficient and genuinely good at customer service. Best of all, the hotel is well placed for all of the city centre amenities - particularly Manchester Central convention centre, which is right behind it.

I guess you could say there's a touch of faded grandeur about the Midland. You do get a sense of when it was the height of fashion, but it's still a great central place to stay.

Wouldn't hesitate to stop here again for the price.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Adam C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding the cleanliness, staff and location are much appreciated - I will pass your compliments onto the relevant departments where appropriate.

I'm pleased to read that you wouldn’t hesitate to stay with us again and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I will go by area as differing experiences in different areas, stayed 2 nights B&B for business:

Entrance: very impressive grand foyer with top-hatted concierges and a great big artificial Lilly tree in the middle, definite wow factor.

Room: well appointed and clean, spacious with flat screen television, mini-bar, seating area and kettle area. Loses marks (very good, not excellent) as there was only one type of tea provided (English breakfast), it is very unusual to find this above 3stars and I would expect a small selection of teas and possibly a hot chocolate. Also there is no guest directory except on the interactive TV meaning you had to turn that on and negotiate the menu to find simple facts.

Octagon bar: impressive but service slow and staff who served me on each occasion were Impolite, not once were the following words used: please, thank you, sir. I observed one young man behind the bar when trying to attract the attention of some ladies who are my colleagues (he had gone to get the card machine) say "oi girls!" I asked them what the though of this but didn't hear it thankfully (I actually attracted their attention to the card reader). I was also given and charged for doubles automatically not offered the choice. This poor service was not isolated to the bar as we shall see later.

Conference facilities: impressive rooms used (Alexandria and Trafford I believe) and the staff dealt with here were actually well trained and polite, only a pity other departments let them down. The food was good here including all snacks, buffet lunch and 3-course banqueting meal, though I did seem to find the sourest piece of pineapple in the world at lunch on the second day. The big issue I have is the toilets attached to the Alexandria room which are the grottiest, dirtiest toilets I have seen in a hotel, a pub would be ashamed, and they were dirty on both days.

Breakfast: this was absolutely dire on both days and in entirely different ways. On the first day we were greeted at the door to "mr. coopers bar and restaurant by simon rogan" by a manager who must have been a checkpoint guard in a previous life! Having shown our papers and found our names on the list we were seated under a parasol (indoors so it blocks all the light under it - poor design choice) and chose our hot breakfast items and were poured a cup of tea or coffee and went to make the best of the stingiest most insipid looking selection of one bowl of fruit salad (which had banana in it which I am allergic to so couldn't eat) one flavour yoghurt and cold croissants/pains aux chocolate I have ever had put before me. Having made the best of this the hot items came but we found as the staff made no eye contact that getting more coffee/tea was difficult. As it happened this is the a la carte breakfast experience and we later discovered others in our group had been spuriously barred entry by the gastronomic gate keeper and made to use the cold continental breakfast in a different room despite the bookings having been made on the contact of a full English breakfast. The breakfast sentry later explained the 2 class system is new so it would appear the hotel are converting all previous bookings to the paupers option to skim more money as the prices in the a la carte were top dollar if you were paying them! Second day things really went downhill. The exact same dismal fruit salad, pastries and yoghurt were available but the hot orders took 3/4 of an hour to come and were wrong when they did so some had to wait 1 and a1/4 hours for food, we weren't given juice or tea or coffee, almost none of the staff could speak English and those who could had no idea what to do, they didn't communicate to us after we complained and again none would make eye contact so you couldn't get their attention. The food that did arrive was Luke warm and not of great taste or quality. It is a farce and not worth the price they are asking for it under any circumstances. Also if Simon rogan (whoever he is) cant get a couple of fry-ups right god help anyone going to dinner! The only part of a full English that needs to be cooked to order is the egg, everything else is usually in every other hotel in the country, oven cooked then browned briefly on the grill before plating with beans and mushrooms in a bain marine. Simples. And this tasted no better than I have had in any other hotel in the country. To add to all of the above this made us all late for the conference we were attending in the hotel.

In conclusion don't try to be pretentious with a full service breakfast if this is how it goes, don't be so greedy, stick to a buffet for all and keep everyone happy. These farcical episodes completely ruined the experience. It is fair to add apologies and reimbursements were made but the honest truth I will not be rushing back unless I have to. Midland hotel, you only get one first impression!

Room Tip: My room and those of my colleagues seemed of equal standard.
1  Thank G_O_C479
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear G_O_C479,

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to The Midland. I'm sorry that your recent stay did not live up to your expectations and ask if you would be able to contact me directly on 0161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk to discuss your experience further.

I hope to hear from you soon.