“Excellent all round. ”

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
“Excellent all round. ”
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I lived in Manchester for several years but never went inside the Midland , so staying there for a night was a new experience. This hotel is beautiful, modern but with an old-school glamour. Very nice room and at all points excellent service.

Stayed February 2014
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear 1982_Lancs,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read such great comments regarding your room and the high standards of service which we are so proud of.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Petawawa, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed at the Midland this weekend and found the room to be very nice and clean, so due credit goes to the hard working maids to make that happen. The experience went wrong at the breakfast. we were seated and promptly ignored for 10 minutes while a couple sat down next to us and were immediately provided coffee. Not a good start. After asking for some help, the hostess did find someone to bring coffee. It was cold and we got a whopping half cup each. Finally a waiter arrived and took our order. My wife had a waffle, which was deflated, thin and tasteless if you've ever had a belgian waffle you know what we might have had in mind. My eggs breakfast was bland and not hot. This was caused by COLD plates which took what little heat out the food it might have had. By now, we're not really enjoying this, and the water we order arrived as we finished our meal and looked up blankly, well you know what we were thinking.... Here's what we'd suggest. Start over, from the bottom up. The kitchen, the menu the staff training, the lack of customer service... it was shocking. We'll get breakfast on Deansgate from now on, no point in paying 20GBP each for what should have been an upscale breakfast. Now, I know the management will jump in here about how this must have been an isolated event....nevermind that. Before leaving, we looked around the dining room and found lots of craned necks and people looking like, well you know "what do I have to do to get some help". This adds up to a management failure, you cannot blame the servers and junior help. They need training and support and clear direction. The menu is clearly needing help. Leave the fry up in, hin the rest, add eggs benedict, a proper waffle with fresh fruit and real maple syrup, common people, get with it !

Room Tip: no idea how to get a nice room, it was assigned to us.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear KnowsPorter,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read your kind comments regarding your bedroom and the high standards of cleanliness; I will pass your compliments onto the housekeeping team - I know they are always pleased when their hard work has been appreciated.

I'm sorry that your experience at breakfast did not meet with your expectations; I will certainly feed your observations and suggestions back to our breakfast management team who I'm sure will make improvements where necessary.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon and ensure that you experience the excellent standards which we pride ourselves on and were unfortunately lacking during your most recent stay.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We had a 2 week stay in Europe and the Midland was our favorite hotel for the entire trip. The rooms are large and beautiful with a big comfy bed, vanity, in room tea pot, large bathtub and towel warmers. It wa a great location to get out and walk around the city and to some bars and coffee shops. The lobby is lovely and everyone is very helpful. The full english breakfast that comes with the room was the best we had. I really love this place and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear beachloverandfoodie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments are much appreciated by the team here.

I'm pleased to read the hotel's position in the city suited your trip to Manchester and it's fantastic to read that we were your favourite hotel through your whole tour of Europe.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We had a lovely weekend at this splendid hotel and will definitely return to enjoy the afternoon teas, evening drinks and other facilities that make this a calm and peaceful base from which one can enjoy Manchester life.

1 Thank LPW24
Dear Tricia G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read how calm and peaceful you found your visit and your description of the hotel as "splendid" is much appreciated!

I hope to welcome you back to Manchester soon.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Last week end we stayed in Room 355 at the Midland (2nd time in 6 weeks) , again we stayed for 2 nights. (1 bedroom suite)
every one from Mike on the front door, There is a big bloke ex GPO who also greets us with a few chirpy comments , alas we don't know his name, resplendent in his grey coat (under strict instructions not to get it wet), the girls on reception are amazing, like swans.

Our room as usual, so clean, could have been an operating theatre with nice touches such as flowers, they even turn your bed down!!.

Room Service .. great, we even had meals and breakfast in our room due to been tired.

Watch out for the beds, they envelop you and so comfortable you need a tyre lever to get out of them.

The TV, fancy beast , but now getting used to it!! a bit too high tec for us

Recommend... you bet, we are back in March lol!!

If hotels based themselves on good old fashioned values, courteous staff, amazing service you cant go wrong.

Room Tip: Suites 255, 355 and 455 are the best, room 355 caters for our tastes
Dear Linda W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read such lovely comments regarding our concierge and reception teams, as well as the high standard of cleanliness and service you received upstairs.

I look forward to hope to welcoming you back to the hotel in March.

Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We have just spent three wonderful nights in this great Hotel. This is our third visit and hopefully there will be plenty more as we really love both the Hotel and Manchester! On arrival our room was not as we had hoped [bed not king size] but without any trouble we were moved and all was well. Room spotlessly clean and we found all the Hotel staff so friendly and most obliging - a real family feel and nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear susanbouzan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how much you love visiting Manchester and staying at the hotel.

I'm sorry that there was a mix-up with the room originally allocated to you but I'm glad to read that we were able to put this right for you as swiftly as possible.

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

The room was a good size and the bathroom and toiletries very pleasant. There were sticky cup marks on one of the tables on the day I arrived which was quite disappointing as it obviously hadn't been wiped down. This was corrected the following day. The main issue with the room was the temperature - it was freezing. I ran the aircon on high temperature for a while but it didn't seem to make a difference and it was so noisy I had to turn it off as I couldn't hear myself think. The services directory on the a TV is theoretically a good idea but didn't work well in practice for me as I found it was slow and not intuitive. Other than that the bed was comfortable and there was no noise from outside or other guests. The wifi was brilliant! The staff in the Wyvern room for breakfast and the Leisure club were very lovely, as were the reception staff and concierge - polite, friendly and helpful. Not so much so those in the Octagon bar - I could hear them gossiping about some of the guests which I didn't think was very professional and I felt rushed and a little on edge by their over attentiveness. The food in the Octagon bar was good though, very large portions and tasty. All in all I wasn't blown away by the place, but neither was it the worse place I've stayed in. I'll probably try one of the other hotels next time I'm in Manchester.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Liz S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you were pleased with the size of your room and the facilities at the hotel.

I'm disappointed to read that some aspects of your stay did not live up to your expecatations and will pass your constructive feedback onto the relevant teams, as well as your compliments to the staff in the Wyvern and the Leisure club as well as those at Reception and Concierge.