“Enjoyable Stay”

Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Alsager, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable Stay”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We stayed at the midland hotel for the first time as it was my husbands birthday and we thought we'd have a night in manchester. Last time we stayed at the Radison Blu Edwardian so I couldn't help but compare.

The room (333) I payed for was the superior King room which was lovely and spacious and we had view of the city. The Bed was very comfortable however I had a bad nights sleep because of the pillows. You couldn't hear any noise form the city which was good.

The staff we came across during our stay were all very nice.

The Staff had left a card in the room saying happy birthday, which was nice however when I've been to other hotels they have given us a bottle of wine or a drinks voucher or room upgrade so I was a little dissappointed having read other reviews on here that they didn't even give a little token.

We had robes in the room which was really nice, we also paid the extra £5.00 to have breakfast to the room.

The pool ws very small so we didn't bother using it. This review would of been given 5 stars had the swimming area been larger with jacuzzi pool and nice lighting to accompany it.

I suppose I can't help but compare it to my last stay in manchester at the radison blu edwardian.

2 Thank juliat20
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear juliat20,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you found room 333 spacious and that you found the bed comfortable.

I will pass your compliments onto the relevant teams, as well as the observations you have made for potential improvements.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stayed here for a business conference. Lovely hotel great staff well presented rooms. The hotel is in the centre of Manchester so great for shopping and restaurants. Has an old fashioned grandeur with all of the modern amenities. The breakfast was a disappointing but all the other meals were excellent.

Room Tip: Larger rooms seem to be at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sian H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding the service you received and your bedroom are much appreciated. I'm also pleased to read that you found the hotel well located for your trip to Manchester.

I'm sorry to read that you were disappointed with your breakfast - I will pass your thoughts onto our breakfast team who I know will make improvements where possible.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stayed here once before and swore blind I would never stay again as we didn’t have a great experience. – I didn’t write a review at the time. However, our office Christmas Party was being held here this year and as the rooms were some £40 cheaper than the Radisson Edwardian next door (which is where I normally stay), then thought I would give it another go.

The lobby is truly tremendous and you can’t help but stop and admire it, absolutely stunning.
Staff at reception were friendly and efficient and check in was very smooth.

Went to my room hoping that I would get a better one than last time I stayed, which is why I have ever been back.

Unfortunately not, the room is dark and dingy. I accept that this is a lovely old building but that doesn’t mean that the rooms have to look dated and boring, there are lots of listed buildings which are hotels that have more modern rooms and still retain the lovely architecture.

As I was staying on my own this time, I ordered a twin room and have to say that the room was a decent size and the beds very comfy. The problems for me, was everything else.

Wardrobe old and leaning to one side – every time I opened it there was a really loud creaking noise and I half expected the door to fall off. There are no modern day conveniences in that there isn’t a magnifying glass in the bathroom for putting contact lenses in or doing you make up, you just have to lean over the sink or the toilet to try and do anything. There is a dressing table of sorts, with a really cheap hairdryer fixed in it, but the lighting is very poor to do your make up so it has to be the bathroom. There isn’t a bedside clock/alarm/ipod docking station etc.

I don't even want to comment about the horrible grey net curtains.

The room “looked” out to the front of the hotel but the windows were permanently steamed up and there were large railings outside the windows so there was no view. The tea and coffee were perched on top of what seems to be an old roadie’s box, left over from some heavy metal gig.

Didn’t have with the breakfast as I had it the last time I stayed and it was awful so didn’t bother again.

On the plus side the room where we had the Christmas party was beautifully set up, the food very good and the evenings entertaining was acceptable. Did have an issue with the fact that guests were charged to put their coat in the cloakroom, after spending a fair amount on the tickets I think it’s very rude to ask for more money for a coat!

Whilst I would be more than happy to go to another function at The Midland, I wouldn’t wish to stay in their rooms. Next time I will pay the extra for the Radisson which is gorgeous.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MICHELLE C
Dear MICHELLE C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased that you thought the hotel lobby "absolutely stunning" and that your bedroom was of a good size and had comfortable beds.

I'm disappointed to read that other aspects of your stay did not live up to your expectations and will feed your comments back to the relevant departments to help them to improve where necessary.

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 4 February 2014

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in terms of price and quality. The room was excellent and so was the service. We had to control ourselves during breakfast, there were so many nice things. I extremely recommend this hotel. It will be my hotel in future visits to Manchester.

Dear valdemordor,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read such great comments regarding the service and facilities which you experienced at the hotel.

I will pass your compliments onto the rest of the team here and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

London, England
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This not such an easy review to write. Let me get the worst out of the way immediately.
When I walked into the lobby at 4:30pm on a Friday evening, the queue for check-in was around 20 people with only two staff to deal with it.
The management quickly put on more staff and I only had to wait 10 minutes to check in.
I still do not think a 10-minute wait at check-in is acceptable from an hotel of this standard.
When I eventually got to the front of the queue I complained and the lady kindly upgraded my room.
That and a couple of other issues aside, it was a good overnight stay. The hotel is centrally placed; the staff are welcoming; the service seemed about right for this class of hotel - nothing special, but not much to complain about either.
The upgraded room was good - a very comfortable bed; good, fast and free in-room WiFi, effective, quiet aircon; a nice TV in room and a lot of floor space with plentiful windows overlooking an open space.
I mentioned another couple of issues. I asked at the front desk about trams to Piccadilly station. They offered their best advice, but when I got to the tram stop and paid for a ticket,, I realised there were no trams due to engineering works. A better front desk would have known this and offered more relevant advice.
Second, at check-out, even though there was nothing to pay due to pre-payment, it still took some 5 minutes to get away as they were not able to give me a printed document showing no charge.
So overall, I was made cross by inadequate staffing at check-in and on leaving I was left with another sour taste due to the delays in check-out and the poor advice from the concierge.
Those unfortunate incidents aside, however, the hotel is a good business hotel. Just leave a bit of extra time for check-in and check-out.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear KidasDave,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read your comments regarding the standard of your bedroom and I'm glad that our location suited your needs during your visit to Manchester.

I'm disappointed to read that the speed of service at check-in/check-out did not match your expectations. Our reception team have a duty to give a certain amount of information on check-in and this does take a minimum amount of time. As you point out in your review; more staff were allocated to check-in but with such a volume of people the process is bound to take some time.

I will pass your observations onto our Front Office and Concierge teams who I’m sure will make improvements where possible.

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I lived in Manchester for several years but never went inside the Midland , so staying there for a night was a new experience. This hotel is beautiful, modern but with an old-school glamour. Very nice room and at all points excellent service.

Stayed February 2014
Dear 1982_Lancs,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read such great comments regarding your room and the high standards of service which we are so proud of.

Petawawa, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed at the Midland this weekend and found the room to be very nice and clean, so due credit goes to the hard working maids to make that happen. The experience went wrong at the breakfast. we were seated and promptly ignored for 10 minutes while a couple sat down next to us and were immediately provided coffee. Not a good start. After asking for some help, the hostess did find someone to bring coffee. It was cold and we got a whopping half cup each. Finally a waiter arrived and took our order. My wife had a waffle, which was deflated, thin and tasteless if you've ever had a belgian waffle you know what we might have had in mind. My eggs breakfast was bland and not hot. This was caused by COLD plates which took what little heat out the food it might have had. By now, we're not really enjoying this, and the water we order arrived as we finished our meal and looked up blankly, well you know what we were thinking.... Here's what we'd suggest. Start over, from the bottom up. The kitchen, the menu the staff training, the lack of customer service... it was shocking. We'll get breakfast on Deansgate from now on, no point in paying 20GBP each for what should have been an upscale breakfast. Now, I know the management will jump in here about how this must have been an isolated event....nevermind that. Before leaving, we looked around the dining room and found lots of craned necks and people looking like, well you know "what do I have to do to get some help". This adds up to a management failure, you cannot blame the servers and junior help. They need training and support and clear direction. The menu is clearly needing help. Leave the fry up in, hin the rest, add eggs benedict, a proper waffle with fresh fruit and real maple syrup, common people, get with it !

Room Tip: no idea how to get a nice room, it was assigned to us.
Dear KnowsPorter,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read your kind comments regarding your bedroom and the high standards of cleanliness; I will pass your compliments onto the housekeeping team - I know they are always pleased when their hard work has been appreciated.

I'm sorry that your experience at breakfast did not meet with your expectations; I will certainly feed your observations and suggestions back to our breakfast management team who I'm sure will make improvements where necessary.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon and ensure that you experience the excellent standards which we pride ourselves on and were unfortunately lacking during your most recent stay.