“Very Grand”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Have stayed here on two occasions recently and was very impressed. My twin room was absolutely huge and I enjoyed the smart TV in the room along with fast Wi-Fi. The staff all very pleasant. I'm due back in Manchester at end of February and I've decided to book my stay at the Renaissance, purely so I can have a cooked breakfast. The Midland`s continental breakfast is very limited and ordinary. Fab hotel but poor breakfast choice.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Stoorty,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastci to read how impressed you were with your recent visits as well as our new Smart TVs and WiFi system.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your breakfast, we do also have a cooked option in Mr. Cooper's House & Garden - I hope you will be able to return to the hotel and try this option soon.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Used this hotel when away on business. I had a very warm welcome and for a large hotel very friendly attentive service. Great room very clean and comfortable. Breakfast wasn't the best I've had, the offer of full English was not made so assumed only continental on offer but this wasn't anything special

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back not opposite the tram line
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank gillrmartin

Dear gillrmartin,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you thought the service you received was excellent and I will pass your compliments onto our housekeeping team for the standard of your room.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed here for one night for our one year anniversary. We wanted somewhere romantic to celebrate - (but not bank breaking!) - I shopped around and got a room for approx £100 - which isn't bad for most places in the centre of Manchester!

The hall / reception area of the hotel is stunning, really beautiful. The corridors outside the rooms are wide and have a titanic esq feel.

The room was relatively small, especially the bathroom - a gripe being how short the bath was. I'm, 5'3 and was just about OK but I can't imagine what a 6ft man would think!

Got an anniversary card in our room when we returned from our evening out which was a really lovely personal touch (thanks Jennifer!) Some other positives - very comfy and nice bed, lovely size wardrobe and I really appreciated the dressing table area. A wine cooler, 2 wine glasses out in room with a bottle of water and 2 short glasses. Lots of tea and coffee options and really good biscuits!

The room was really beautiful. High ceilings and windows and quite a luxury feel. When lying in bed at night I did notice a small crack in the ceiling and then in the light of the morning noticed a small stain on the curtains - I'm not pedantic and these didn't spoil our stay, but to keep the reputation of a high class hotel they are things the hotel needs to think about. One other gripe... the pillows were really hard and there were no spares in the wardrobe. I'm confident reception would have sent more if I phoned - but when you return late at night after a few cocktails you don't want to do that.

Overall however I was really pleased with the hotel. Very impressive in public spaces and overall a high class room.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kazi87,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and found the features and amenities in your room to your liking.

I will pass on your thanks to Jennifer on reception, and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Got a reasonable rate via work for a business stay. Twin room but had two double beds so no problem there. Dressing area and modern, clean bathroom. Hair dryer has several switches, but confused why they just don't leave them all on (apart from the one on the dryer itself) as I had to go under the desk to get at the switch on the skirting board.

Bed was super comfy and room service dinner very good.

So why do they have to be so mean as to have two different breakfast rooms. People like me on a lower rate only get the continental selection. I was not planning a major blow out, but a bacon buttie would have been appreciated and a bowl of bran flakes and a boiled egg didn't really cut the mustard. I checked and the rate via my employer said B&B, not B and continental B.

Just left a slightly sour taste....

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jacqui R
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Arthmonster,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you found your bed "super comfy" and will pass your compliments onto our room service and kitchen teams regarding your evening meal.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed by your experience at breakfast; the we do now have two options; an À la carte menu in Mr. Cooper’s House & Garden and a Continental buffet in The Wyvern. The aim of this is to improved the quality of the hot breakfast by enabling us to control the temperature and quality of each plate, as well as the quality of the continental buffet by giving us more space for an extended selection.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed for 1 night in Jan 2014. The room was a superior room and very,very spacious. A few niggles- no face flannel in the bathroom which was also cold and we could not figure out how to get the heated towel rail to work.
The room itself was lovely but there was a small patch on the ceiling where there had been some water ingress - no surprise in view of the amount of rain we have had. The coffee in the room was good but very difficult to use the sachets without spilling them everywhere.
A big plus was the dressing table with two lamps. The bed was huge.
So, would we stay again , yes we would although the £15 extra for continental breakfast was rather steep.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Winedrinker9,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how spacious you found your superior room (and your bed!).

I'm pleased to read that you would stay with us again and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I find this a hard review to write. I used to visit the Midland frequently on business some 40 years ago. In those days it was the best hotel, and almost the only one. Now, in my late 60s, I was visiting as part of a short break involving a concert at the magnificent Bridgewater Hall only a few hundred yards away. That's the first point: location - perfect.

I had heard that it had been restored - converted - renovated having languished in dinginess and was now ultra-luxurious and state of the art .... well, not really. Our room was smart and comfortable, but no more so than most nowadays. A frayed bathmat was disproportionately upsetting. No bed turn-down was disappointing, as was the absence of a loo brush.

We sensed that it might not be wise to eat there but relented and had an afternoon sandwich. Big mistake - huge. Picture two huge wodges of sponge bought in Halfords for car-cleaning stuffed to the gills with rubber chicken infused with curry powder and marketed as a coronation chicken sandwich. Dire, grotesque and when I did eventually get my mouth widely enough open to bite into it umbrellas went up around the room. Awful, and about £12.

Talking of this bar/afternoon tea area it was scruffy with surface-run wiring and scuffed upholstery (too much flying chicken ?)

The renovation of the Midland is probably a work in progress. I do hope so, but we will probably go elsewhere in the meantime.

The staff were pleasant in a 'but do I really care? ' sort of way. A couple of our age should not, I felt, need to be asked whether we wanted help carrying our luggage up to the room. It should have been done as a matter of course.

I don't doubt that this hotel does a good job for its target market.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear elsb1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read that you found the hotel's location suited your trip to Manchester so well.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed by some aspects of your stay - I will pass your constructive feedback onto the teams responsible who I'm sure will make improvements where necessary.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We have just come back from our weekend stay at The Midland Hotel. I booked this hotel for my boyfriends 21st birthday and have to say the hotel was excellent. The room was brilliant so would recommend room 330, it was spacious with modern amenities but still the old fashion theme through out. The hotel's bar was very pleasant to have a few drinks, the service was fantastic and must say thank you to them as I could not decide on a particular cocktail or drink and they happily made a drink off the menu that I preferred. Overall I would definitely rate this hotel for someone looking for a nice weekend away. Although I do rate the hotels service, I had some issues prior to my visit, when I booked the hotel I booked the dates around the football however the football dates changed from a Saturday game to a Sunday game; I spoke to several ladies on reception who refused to change the booking for me even when I said that I would pay a fee or something instead they wanted me to pay for an extra night when all I wanted to do was change the Friday night to the Sunday night so the stay was Saturday and Sunday. All in all it took me 4 days for something to happen and this only occurred because I had called to put in a complaint because of this the lady I spoke to Leah (very helpful and understanding of the situation) spoke to her manager for me and then they happily changed the booking. Although I found this very stressful and unnecessary I wouldn't fault the hotel but I would recommend looking into the service on the front desk that deal with the booking phone calls.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Hannah2511,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read such fantastic comments regarding your visit and will pass your complements onto the rest of the team here.

I'm sorry that your experience before check-in did not meet your expectations - I will feed your observations back to the relevant departments.