“Dining experience”

Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Dining experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We were fortunate to have been given a booking here and a voucher for "The French", Simon Rogan's new restaurant here at the Midland. Followed the Sat Nav postcode for the NCP car park behind the hotel and managed to navigate our way down a one way street, watch out! Parking was a bit steep at £18.40 a day and not very convenient with a long flight of steps up to the rear of the hotel. Reception staff very courteous and helpful and said there used to be a reduced rate for residents but this had been stopped.
Room was very comfortable although not very spacious. View was across the tram line to the Premier Inn opposite!
I have left a separate review for the restaurant but would just say that was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
We enjoyed a drink in the lounge beforehand and relaxed listening to the accomplished pianist helping the ambiance.
The hotel website says that only continental breakfast is available, however you will now find that Full English is available in Mr Coopers restaurant at £20 a head but if you order breakfast through room service this is only £15 a head plus a £5 tray charge! We did the latter and the breakfast and service was excellent.
Checkout was simple and quick despite the arrival of numerous conference delegates.
I would certainly stay here again, a valet parking service is available at a charge which may be useful to avoid the stairs from the car park.
So four stars plus to the Midland, one star to NCP!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 973SimonR973
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Simon R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read such positive feedback regarding our reception team, your room service experience and your dinner in The French.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

This Hotel has a beautiful Foyer with live music playing whether it be a pianist or a quartet it was very relaxing and a nice touch . The Hotel has bags of character and even walking through the corridors to your room you get the WOW factor ! Which carried on into our room there really was nothing to complain about ,plenty of space, comfy beds and extra nice touches like dressing tables and pod coffee machines and Smart T.V's couldn't fault a thing ,the only little gripe if you could call it that was that their weren't any menu's for the adjoining restaurants in our room which would have helped us choose where and what to eat , but this was just a little oversight compared to what this Hotel has to offer.
All in all we had a lovely relaxing stay and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Junior suite is really spacious and ideal for anyone with children as it has 2 smart T.V's which...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear JaxC380,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read such great comments regarding your visit - it's fantastic to read that you thought the hotel had the "wow factor" and that the size of your junior suite suited the needs of your family.

I will pass your kind comments onto the rest of the team here and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

My fiancé kindly booked us a night in the midland for my birthday and overall it was a very enjoyable experience. We got the deal through one of the secret hotel jobs and it came in a good value. The outside and reception are quite grand and probably the only thing stopping me from giving this 5/5 was the room. While clean and well presented it did fail to deliver of the level of grandeur that the outside and lobby had mustered. It was a bit on the small side and did have a slight let down but as I said was very clean and had all the things you needed really.

The big winner for me here was the service, we had mentioned while checking in that it was my birthday and the lady on reception wished me happy birthday. We left the hotel to go shopping and on our return found that they had posted a birthday card through the door from the reception staff. I think little touches like that are sorely missed in a lot of places these days and as sad as it sounds it really did put a smile on my face.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room with a view on the city our room was facing the inner of the hotel so coul...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Roddimus,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding the public areas of the hotel and the excellent and personal service you received are much appreciated.

I will pass your constructive comments onto our housekeeping team who are always looking to make improvements where possible.

manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Its been a lifetimes ambition to stay at this iconic hotel and last sunday evening was a dream come true.we got the tram down from Ashton and got off in Peters Square about100metres from the hotel.We were greeted by the friendliest mancunians you could wish to meet .Check in was smooth and we got our room keys without any problems.A 4 piece string quartet was playing music and would play requests if asked.The room was spotless and warm and inviting .Tea and coffee making was available along with a first class TV and hairdryer.All the things you would expect in a top Hotel.We went out to the Grill on the Alley for an evening meal and after a trip round some of Manchesters excellent local pubs ended up in the Bar at the Midland to finish of an excellent mini break with Manhatton Iced tea.Best hotel we have stayed in in Manchester

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank matthewsbigfrank
Dear matthewsbigfrank,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that your visit to the hotel lived up so wonderfully to your expectations.

I will pass your compliments onto the rest of the team here and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Was taken for a surprise weekend break for Valentines Day - beautiful hotel, beautiful reception & friendly & welcoming staff. The only downside was the Joseph Elliott beauty salon located in the hotel. Was booked in for a blow dry at 4.30pm - no one acknowledged me until 4.45pm & when they did there was clearly tension between two of the hairdressers. One started blow drying my hair & when the other hairdresser had finished with her client she took over completely ripping out the brushes the other lady had put in to curl my hair. She blasted my hair nearly ripping it out with the brush before turning on straighteners. When I enquired why she was going to use straighters when I had asked for a blow dry she was shocked & said she would curl the bottom. I said I didn't want that I wanted my hair blow dried straight with a curl on the end as the other girl had been doing. As she had practically dried my hair she could now not go back to blowdrying it (at this point it was gone 5pm and I was meant to be leaving to go out for dinner at 6pm). She had to put heated curlers in the end which wasn't what I wanted and to be honest my hair looked awful but as I only had 15 minutes to get ready at this point I didn't have much choice. My hair normally stays after a blow dry but the next day I looked like I had been dragged through a hedge & I'm a little annoyed I even paid for it. Was going to complain but they were shut the next day and we then left.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear jim l,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your Valentine's stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read such positive comments ragarding the hotel staff and our lobby area.

I'm sorry to read that you were so dissapointed with your experience at Joseph Elliot - I will speak to the management there today and ensure that the members of staff concerned are reminded of the very high standards our guests expect.

Hook, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Good deal for a 2 night stay in winter months , great location once get bearings and find the carpark . Décor a bit dated , reception staff welcoming although seemed a bit out of date with the actual workings of amenities ie wifi . Room decent size , quiet and comfortable . The major problem was the breakfast buffet , yes complimentary but food and service really not up to scratch and to split a la carte into separate restaurant seems madness as leaves no real option to upgrade in real time of if one of you is tempted . The other oddity seemed to be why Simon Rogan would chose this hotel to base his new Manchester operation , really doesn't seem a good style.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Couperon
Dear Couperon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that the location of the hotel suited your needs, and you found your room "quiet and comfotable".

I will pass your constructive observtions onto the relevant departments who will make imrpovements where possible.

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I booked two rooms here for my family whilst we were visiting my son who's at university in Manchester. The hotel is in a great location - pleasant part of the city centre, lots of restaurants, cafes and bars in the immediate area, an easy walk to the main shopping areas and about 10 minute walk to the main university buildings. The rooms are quite spacious, each room had 3 chairs, a table, an internet TV, and both were relatively well decorated (probably within last 2-3 years). 4-5 people sitting chatting in the room was OK. The beds were quite comfortable - they were a bit on the soft side. The staff were very courteous and helpful. And the hotel is very well presented - especially the main lobby. Things to watch out for: if you don't get it included with the room then breakfast is quite expensive; parking is most convenient in NCP Central Manchester car park, but costs about £18 per night. You can park for free on the side streets between 8pm and 8 am.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Pat B
Dear Pat B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding your rooms and the "courteous and helpful" staff you encountered are much appreciated.

I'm pleased to read that the hotel suited your trip to Manchester so well - I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.