“Great hotel. Poor food”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 3 March 2014

There are lots of things to recommend here. Welcoming staff, comfortable rooms, good wifi but the food is really substandard. Breakfast not good quality for the price, one of the weirdest Thai curries I have ever had. In need of improvement guys.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear sibeliusLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I will feed your compliments regarding our staff, rooms and facilities back to the relevant departments.

I'm sorry to read that your experience of the hotel food during your visit did not live up to your expectations - I will pass your comments onto our kitchen team so that they can make improvements where possible.

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed very recently. The welcome was friendly . Our room clean and comfortable , although the mattress was a little soft to our taste. We dined out but had breakfast . It seemed very poorly organised and some people were forgotten. The food was excellent and special diet well catered for . A very annoying man carrying out his mobile phone call loudly was not dealt with.
In summary; it's a great position and our room was fine. Breakfast maybe best taken out as there's lots of choice locally. Try Veronica's patisserie.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Gardener009,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you found the welcome to the hotel friendly and that your room was clean and comfortable.

I'm sorry to read that you were disappointed with your breakfast experience - I will pass your constructive comments onto the relevant teams so that they can me improvements where possible.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed there on business for 1 night then i had to stay in manchester another night & i was lucky enough to stay there again!! The reception area reminded me of the MGM in Las Vegas!! I felt really spoilt for 2nights in these plush surroundings. If i ever stay in manchester for personal reasons i would definiitely stay there!! Location was fabulous for eating out too!!

• Stayed: February 2014
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear LJB45,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how impressed you were by the hotel and especially our lobby - to be compared to the MGM Grand is high praise indeed!

I'm pleased to read that you felt spoiled during your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

The hotel itself if beautiful and it gives you the "special" feeling when you walk in. Rooms are comfy although a bit tired, bed had a massive dip in the middle so the sleep really wasn't all that great. Spa looks great on the photos, it is a bit old and tired, saunas are separate for male and female and it really is tiny.
Good location though, it is only about 10 mins walk into the centre.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear tucniak,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read how special you found the hotel lobby and that our location suited your trip to Manchester.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your room and our Leisure Club; I will pass your constructive feedback onto the relevant teams for them to make improvements where possible. It would be great if you could contact me directly at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk to let me know which room you stayed in - so that I can ensure the issue with your bed is addressed by our Housekeeping and Maintenance teams.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Had just one night here on business, but has been perfect! Arriving fairly late in the evening the location was ideal to quickly reach decent restaurants on foot. My room and especially bed were incredibly comfortable so a great night's rest was had. The continental breakfast was good, with very friendly service, and following an early meeting had a long wait before flying home. I spent this time in the lounge area, using their free wifi, and being extremely well looked after by Colin Prescott, a stand out member of the team, serving in the Octagon. He was really attentive without interrupting me whilst hastily working, but was always right there when I wanted something. He also very kindly recommended the best table to sit at for a constant power supply which made my afternoon both productive and enjoyable! Thanks Colin! I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank carla a

Dear carla a,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read how comfortable you found your room and particularly the bed.

It's also fantastic to read about the great service you received from our breakfast team and later Colin on the Octagon Lounge. I will pass your thanks onto Colin on your behalf; for his attentive but unobtrusive service.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

My husband had booked us in as part of our anniversary celebrations. We were given a complimentary upgrade, and had a card for us in our room. Such a lovely touch and greatly appreciated. The room was spacious and comfortable. We had a lovely view of the Manchester Christmas markets which just added to the magic for us.

The staff throughout our stay were polite and attentive.

The hotel is beautiful, attention to detail at every turn.

We thoroughly enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of breakfast in Mr Cooper's. The food was plentiful and warm, which is so important with these types of breakfast services. When we were seated I was asked if I wanted any eggs, I had fried eggs cooked to my liking fresh and were served at the same time it had taken me to go around the rest of the hot foods.

Our only grumble, is this, when we came in from our evening meal (we had eaten in Manchester), we asked at reception for some more milk & coffee for the room refreshments. The receptionist said that this wouldn't be a problem and would send some up, but none ever arrived. We mentioned it the following morning and got an apology, but it didn't take back the fact we had wanted a drink in our room, couldn't have one and ended up waiting an hour in case it arrived.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cachersifyoucan

Dear cachersifyoucan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments relating to the standard of service you received and how much you enjoyed your relaxed breakfast in Mr. Cooper's House & Garden are much appreciated - I will pass your compliments onto the appropriate teams for their hard work.

I'm sorry to read that you did not receive the requested extras for your room after dinner; I will speak with our Housekeeping and Reception teams to ensure that they are aware of this oversight and can prevent it from happening in the future.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

we recently stayed at the Midland for a company meeting including a black tie function.
The customer service was second to none.
i would highly recommend this hotel. the facilities are excellent and perhaps more importantly, customer experience is clearly a massive priority for the management team

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank cheryl m
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear cheryl m,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how pleased you were with the facilities available at the hotel; and especially how important you feel the guest experience is to the hotel management.