The Midland
US$125
Doubletree
US$125
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$122
US$116
Hotels.com
5,411 results
All reviewsmr coopersafternoon teaq hotelsoctagon loungebeautiful hotelsuperior roomfantastic staymini barreception areacentral manchestersaturday nightlovely roomcooked breakfastcity centrestayed for one nightmember of staffmidlands
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I arrived early in Manchester (my friend was meeting me later in the day) - I went to the hotel with the expectation of not being able o book in until 3.00. However, Bernadette, on reception was very helpful and allowed me to book in and go up to the room 'to make a cup of tea'. My friend arrived in the afternoon - we had a very nice room that was just what I expected. We went out to see a show which we thoroughly enjoyed. In the morning we were looking forward to breakfast - a real treat when you stay in a hotel - however, we were booked in for a continental breakfast - I had booked the room through Travel Republic and was confident that I had booked a full english. After a bit of argy bargy with the restaurant staff and reception the duty manager allowed us to have a full english without having to pay the extra and explained that it must have been a problem with the booking agent. She was very nice and resolved the problem quickly and efficiently. We went in for our long awaiting breakfast in a lovely restaurant - I went to get cornflakes but there was no sugar - only sugar lumps. By the time the waitress came back (with sweetener - it was all she could find!) the cornflakes were soggy so I had to go for more. During this time my friend was waiting for butter for the toast - she asked on three occasions - it arrived on the third request. This is not the type of service expected from a hotel of this rating. However, the breakfast was very good!

Room Tip: Room 427 looked 'inward' over the roof off the hotel so no view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear cmo6949,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read that we were able to accommodate your early arrival meaning you could get settled into your room quickly.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your breakfast experience, I will pass your constructive comments onto our breakfast team so that they can make improvements where possible.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in February, staff are very friendly and genuinely helpful, we had a king deluxe room; which was spotlessly clean, warm and quiet; food was excellent. I would certainly stay here again if in Manchester and recommend the hotel to all.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear DUNFERMLINEVAL,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your compliments regarding the service and standards of cleanliness you experienced during your visit are very much appreciated and will be passed onto the rest of the team here.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have been staying at the Midland regularly for the last 8 years. It is a magnificent gracious Victorian building located in a prime position in the City Centre. Room sizes vary but all are well equipped, clean and comfortable. The age of the building (thick walls!) and generous wall to wall carpeting make for a much quieter stay than in more modern purpose-built buildings.

The newly re-furbished Mr Cooper's garden restaurant under the Simon Rogan brand provides individually prepared traditional cooked breakfasts (delicious) as well as the usual cold meats, cheese fruit and cereals. Evening dining combines traditional food with creative and unusual flavours. When I last wrote about the French I was disappointed with the quality of what had been the highest quality food. Four years later we gave it another try. We had the 10 course(!) tasting menu. It can only be described as superb. The food was of the very highest quality, the service was measured and perfectly timed, and the whole eating experience really memorable. The new décor is not our taste with bare wooden tables but I guess that is us being old and stuffy; there were at least good sized white linen table napkins if no table cloths!

The quality of the service overall has to be the Midland's ultimately outstanding asset. While facilities might not boast all the 'bells and whistles' available at the luxury end of the market, everything necessary for a really comfortable and well equipped stay is provided, and if you specifically want a 'bell' or a 'whistle', the staff will find it for you! the staff are invariably courteous, friendly and helpful. Nothing is to much trouble.

I would thoroughly and without reservation commend this wonderful hotel

Room Tip: Try to book an inside room. The trams can be noisy
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Burnett-the-Brit,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read how much you have enjoyed your frequent visits to The Midland over the last eight years and it's fantastic that you were so impressed by the rejuvenation of The French and the refurbishment of what is now Mr. Cooper's House & Garden.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed at The Midland last weekend with our friends (to celebrate his 60th birthday). From checking in we found that nothing was too much trouble, we were shown to our beautiful room then headed off to Mr Coopers for cocktails and a start to our relaxing weekend!! A special thank you to Sadie and Richard on reception who went beyond their expectations. We will certainly stay again and would recommend this hotel to everyone.
Linda (Whalley Lancashire)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear 913Linda913,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read that we were able to make you feel special during your visit and I will pass your compliments onto Sadie and Richard particularly.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed for two nights end Feb / March - room only and had afternoon cream tea. Everything about the hotel was great. Rooms were very comfortable with good tea /coffee, modern and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. The afternoon tea was exquisite with very good quality food and even better service. All those that served us were brilliant with Mr Laker being particularly keen to ensure we had a great afternoon - which we did. The Gym had good equipment and reception was very good and the receptionist / concierge very genuine (great quality).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear FenCan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how much you enjoyed your stay and especially our Afternoon Tea on the Octagon Lounge - I will pass your compliments onto Michael Laker and the rest of the team for their attentive service.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.