“Good hotel, nice stay”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed for two nights in a double room, which wasn't huge, but was very comfortable. I really liked the decor. The bathroom was small and pokey. But it was all spotless.

We had a continental breakfast included in our stay, which I thought was a little disappointing, especially the orange juice, which tasted very watered down. But the service was friendly.

It was in a good location for us to walk to the train station and in easy walking distance to the shops.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Nicci K
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Nicci K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you found the hotel comfortable, clean and that you liked the decor of your guestroom.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your experience at breakfast, I will pass your comments onto the relevant teams so that they can make improvements where possible.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

The Midland is an old hotel in the centre of Manchester, with a really great location convenient for most of the shopping and attractions. We stayed on a Thursday night, booking two rooms for our party. Although the receptionist told us the rooms were adjoining but not connected, they were in fact well down the corridor from each other. Strange that the staff don't seem to know the layout of the hotel!

Although the rooms were large and spacious - clean, bright and well presented - the main let down in one was the bathroom. The tiles around the over-bath shower were black with mildew and there were mildew spots on the shower curtain as well. The control for the water was missing a knob which made the shower difficult to control. The kettle in that room for making tea or coffee also didn't work.

The other room we reserved had no problems at all, and the bathroom was spotless. All the beds were made up with fresh white linens and were very comfortable - we all got a really good nights sleep. Tea and coffee making facilities have a good range of tea, coffee, biscuits etc and bottled water is provided in all the rooms.

The Midland seems to be a very good hotel that - unfortunately - can be let down by attention to detail in some important areas. If the housekeeping supervisor was more diligent about checking rooms before they are released to guests these little problems wouldn't happen.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street can be noisy, interior rooms ware quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Simon L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm sorry to read that your experience at the hotel did not meet your expectations and I will be taking your constructive comments up with our housekeeping team today.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon so that we have the opportunity to improve your opinion of The Midland.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Visiting Manchester to catch up with relatives, The midland is situated in the heart to town and it was easy walking distance to the Arndale centre and opposite a tram station which seemed to go all over, we didn't try the trams on this occasion. We were delighted to catch sight of the film set for Daniel Radcliffe's new film, Dracula, I could see why Manchester was chosen as the buildings are very Gothic looking.
The hotel staff were friendly and when we realised our safe wasn't working it was fixed immediately. The room was a lovely large suite, clean and well appointed. I was disappointed there was no shower cap in the bathroom as I have long hair, thankfully I'd bought my own, then I read the sticker on the wall which informed I could ask for a shower cap! Really should read the literature! As a techno phobe the smart TV was a little scary but once I'd worked it put it was helpful and we had free wifi, which in this day and age is essential. I would stay here again definitely.

Room Tip: We had a large room on the 6th floor facing inward which was very quiet,not sure what it was called!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elizabeth S
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Elizabeth S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read that you were able to make use of the hotel's location in Manchester and that you found our Smart TVs helpful in ensuring that you enjoyed a great stay in the city.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I took a master suite at this hotel because it had a separate lounge with a dining table and sofa area. I needed a space to conduct several business meeting with delegates at a convention next to the hotel. I needed the room to be ready for use early and to be kept until late check out the following day. Bernadette Cappe the Front of House Manager went far beyond her duty to fix this arrangement for me! She even called me on her own time to confirm arrangements. The hotel suite is stunning. The rooms lounge was a perfect place for high level business meeting. The room service was timely and the food very good. The waiters and waitresses were all very prompt and gracious. In particular I would like to mention Colin Prescott who brought my breakfast. He was not only charming but he gave me a history of the hotel including its famous guests from HRM The Queen. Princess Diana. Pavarotti and Frank Sinatra to name a few. I'm not surprised this is a great hotel for business or pleasure

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Whitelionlady

Dear Whitelionlady,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read how well one of our Master Suites suited your business needs during your stay.

I will pass your kind compliments onto Colin and Bernadetta and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in February, staff are very friendly and genuinely helpful, we had a king deluxe room; which was spotlessly clean, warm and quiet; food was excellent. I would certainly stay here again if in Manchester and recommend the hotel to all.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine J
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Christine J,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read how friendly you found the hotel team and that your room was spotless.

I will pass your compliments onto the relevant departments and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is a hotel that has been updated, refurbished and retains service of the professional and old fashioned style. We stayed there as a family for 3 nights. The beds were big and comfortable. The rooms were well equipped. Service was excellent.
If you want your family to have rooms close to each other, then request this. We forgot to and were spread around the hotel. However the disabled room that my father-in-law received was outstanding - everything had been thought of. His only problem was working the digital air-con pad.
Parking was not easy if although if you arrived back late at night you could park on the street and feed the meter in the morning.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear provi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments are much appreciated. It's fantastic to read that you found the service at the hotel excellent and the facilities in your father-in-law's accessible room made his stay much easier.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Arrived 10am for a wine tasting course. Left luggage with a courteous and professional Concierge prior to check-in. The room located on 5th floor was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was clean but had unhealthy black mould around the bath/shower; not something to be expected from a 4 star hotel. We didn't eat in the hotel but had drinks later in the evening. The waiting staff weren't as attentive as they could have been, in view of the fact that at one point the staff out numbered the customers two to one. They looked bored, congregated at the till and chatted loudly missing obvious empty glasses. Overall an average stay at an expensive hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jacktenforty
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear jacktenforty,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to The Midland. I'm sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations and ask if you would be able to contact me directly on 0161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk to discuss your experience further.

I hope to hear from you soon.