“Still a grand old dame”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Beautiful as ever. Stunning hotel. Missed Carlo the old front of house manager who looked after my dying mother so wonderfully on our previous visits. Making her childhood dream of staying here extra special during her final few months. So a different welcome but still lovely nonetheless.

Stayed in a superior room. But was slightly damp and musty which they must have realised due to the electric aromatherapy unit plugged in in the room.

When I asked for late check out I was told a flat no. But later in the day I asked someone else who was happy to accommodate this request especially as it was my birthday!

Missed breakfast in the colony room as it was being refurbished. The alternative room lacked the ambience of the former and provided fewer breakfast choices than I have previously had at the Midland, but a decent breakfast nonetheless.

Would request a different room next time, but still looking forward to my next return visit as the magic of the Midland still shone through.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank kattak77
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear kattak77,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read that you were so pleased to return to the hotel, I’m sorry that you were disappointed that Carlo has moved on from the hotel and I will pass your comments regarding your room onto our Housekeeping team.

I hope you'll be glad to read that, since your stay last year, we have introduced a new breakfast service which includes the option of an a la carte menu in Mr. Cooper's House & Garden (which was the Colony). I hope you'll be able to join us again soon to see the exciting changes for yourself.

There are newer reviews for The Midland

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We booked into 'The Midland' last night as a birthday treat for us both. In many respects it lives up to and beyond it's billing as one of the Premier Hotels in Manchester.
However the one aspect that let it down for us was the acoustics in our room.
You can't really expect a 100+ year old building with single glazed windows to totally snuff out the bass from surrounding nightclubs - it didn't - but this was tolerable. And above the entrance to the room there was a transformer (or something very similar) perpetually buzzing. Again - just about tolerable. However the one aspect which was not was the noise of the air conditioning/heating unit. This gives out conditioned (beit heated or chilled) air and the noise of the fan was most intrusive. We went to bed and due to the noise - turned it totally off. I awoke at 2.00am feeling cold and put the heating on. The noise after a long period of silence was extreme and so I had the choice of the room being cold OR noisy. I debated ringing down to reception - but what would they have done at 2.00am? Even if they had another room without this problem - I would not have wanted to decant at that time of the morning. So I put on a sweater and socks got back into bed and eventually got back to sleep.
Once the lights are off and you're going to sleep all you want is comfort with warmth and quiet. Unfortunately last night our options were comfort with warmth OR quiet.
Other part of the hotel are incredible. The leisure facilities, the breakfast and the total ambiance but I need my good nights sleep!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin S

Dear Martin S,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to The Midland. I'm sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations.

I would appreciate the opportunity to correct this issue in the guestroom you occupied during your stay and ask if you would be able to contact me directly on 0161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk so that I can gain some information for your reservation and ensure that the issue with the air conditioning is rectified.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I was here on a 24hr delegate rate for a conference. I think I was allocated one of the larger rooms with a separate lounge area. The bed was extremely comfortable and there was a good selection of TV channels as well as an in-room safe and an excellent bathroom. The buffet for lunch was great (although I would have preferred to sit down to eat stew) and the evening meal in a private room was exceptional.

Room Tip: Try for the higher floors
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear David L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how impressed you were with your Superior Guestroom and the amenities available in your room.

I will pass your compliments onto our Housekeeping, Banqueting and Kitchen teams for their excellent standards of cleanliness, service and food. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed for two nights in a double room, which wasn't huge, but was very comfortable. I really liked the decor. The bathroom was small and pokey. But it was all spotless.

We had a continental breakfast included in our stay, which I thought was a little disappointing, especially the orange juice, which tasted very watered down. But the service was friendly.

It was in a good location for us to walk to the train station and in easy walking distance to the shops.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Nicci K

Dear Nicci K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you found the hotel comfortable, clean and that you liked the decor of your guestroom.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your experience at breakfast, I will pass your comments onto the relevant teams so that they can make improvements where possible.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

The Midland is an old hotel in the centre of Manchester, with a really great location convenient for most of the shopping and attractions. We stayed on a Thursday night, booking two rooms for our party. Although the receptionist told us the rooms were adjoining but not connected, they were in fact well down the corridor from each other. Strange that the staff don't seem to know the layout of the hotel!

Although the rooms were large and spacious - clean, bright and well presented - the main let down in one was the bathroom. The tiles around the over-bath shower were black with mildew and there were mildew spots on the shower curtain as well. The control for the water was missing a knob which made the shower difficult to control. The kettle in that room for making tea or coffee also didn't work.

The other room we reserved had no problems at all, and the bathroom was spotless. All the beds were made up with fresh white linens and were very comfortable - we all got a really good nights sleep. Tea and coffee making facilities have a good range of tea, coffee, biscuits etc and bottled water is provided in all the rooms.

The Midland seems to be a very good hotel that - unfortunately - can be let down by attention to detail in some important areas. If the housekeeping supervisor was more diligent about checking rooms before they are released to guests these little problems wouldn't happen.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street can be noisy, interior rooms ware quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Simon L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm sorry to read that your experience at the hotel did not meet your expectations and I will be taking your constructive comments up with our housekeeping team today.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon so that we have the opportunity to improve your opinion of The Midland.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Visiting Manchester to catch up with relatives, The midland is situated in the heart to town and it was easy walking distance to the Arndale centre and opposite a tram station which seemed to go all over, we didn't try the trams on this occasion. We were delighted to catch sight of the film set for Daniel Radcliffe's new film, Dracula, I could see why Manchester was chosen as the buildings are very Gothic looking.
The hotel staff were friendly and when we realised our safe wasn't working it was fixed immediately. The room was a lovely large suite, clean and well appointed. I was disappointed there was no shower cap in the bathroom as I have long hair, thankfully I'd bought my own, then I read the sticker on the wall which informed I could ask for a shower cap! Really should read the literature! As a techno phobe the smart TV was a little scary but once I'd worked it put it was helpful and we had free wifi, which in this day and age is essential. I would stay here again definitely.

Room Tip: We had a large room on the 6th floor facing inward which was very quiet,not sure what it was called!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elizabeth S
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Elizabeth S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read that you were able to make use of the hotel's location in Manchester and that you found our Smart TVs helpful in ensuring that you enjoyed a great stay in the city.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I took a master suite at this hotel because it had a separate lounge with a dining table and sofa area. I needed a space to conduct several business meeting with delegates at a convention next to the hotel. I needed the room to be ready for use early and to be kept until late check out the following day. Bernadette Cappe the Front of House Manager went far beyond her duty to fix this arrangement for me! She even called me on her own time to confirm arrangements. The hotel suite is stunning. The rooms lounge was a perfect place for high level business meeting. The room service was timely and the food very good. The waiters and waitresses were all very prompt and gracious. In particular I would like to mention Colin Prescott who brought my breakfast. He was not only charming but he gave me a history of the hotel including its famous guests from HRM The Queen. Princess Diana. Pavarotti and Frank Sinatra to name a few. I'm not surprised this is a great hotel for business or pleasure

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Whitelionlady

Dear Whitelionlady,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read how well one of our Master Suites suited your business needs during your stay.

I will pass your kind compliments onto Colin and Bernadetta and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.