“old world service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“old world service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I recently stayed at this grand old hotel whilst attending a conference in the city.

From the moment I arrived I was greeted like a returning friend (although I had never stepped foot in this hotel before). I was met by the concierge (Bernard), he was able to answer my questions on directions and also recommended some restaurants to dine in. I was checked in by Sadie on reception. My room was a standard room although I wouldn't have said there was anything standard in the room. Large, a lovely view, modern TV (a smart tv with the internet and apps on), great bathroom and a safe in the room (more about that later).

I didn't dine in the hotel but did go onto the lounge in the early evening, I was served promptly by a member of staff (sorry no name badge), the drinks were averagely priced for a venue of this standard.

On checking out I used the express check out due to a queue in front of me. again the concierge (David Morris?) were helpful in getting me a taxi to the station.

On returning home, I discovered I had left my house keys in the safe in my room (luckily my neighbour has a spare key). I contacted the hotel and spoke with Adam in the Security/Lost Property department. He was able to retrieve my keys and he very kindly arranged to have them sent to me arriving the following day.

Overall I highly recommend this hotel, the building is amazing, the staff are friendly and will do anything to help. I have not found a hotel in a long time where the staff have been so friendly and willing to help with any requests.

Room Tip: ask for high floors, as can get a better view of the city
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear James A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how pleased you were with the service you received from the hotel staff; I will pass your specific compliments onto Bernard, Sadie, David and Adam for their hard work.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Preston, Lancs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I had booked for valentines weekend as it was my birthday on 15th Feb so stayed 2 nights. The room was clean with some nice toiletries etc and I was delighted that a bottle of red wine - my fave - Malbec - had been left as a birthday present from the hotel - a nice touch! We also found the breakfast very nice with fresh orange, fresh smoothies, fresh home made yoghurt and liked the fact you were served rather than self service. The breakfast area also was very relaxing and airy which is not our usual experience of hotels which tend to be noisy and bustling. The location was excellent being only a 10 min walk to Arndale, Deansgate etc. The reception area was very grand and pleasing also. The main downside we felt was that whilst it was a really historic building, we thought the rooms could have done with a bit of an upgrade or modernisation particularly given we were staying in a King room and had paid more anyway. We have been in other Q hotels in both Leeds and Stratford upon Avon which were far more modern. We were disappointed there were no robes or slippers provided either which is what we have had in other hotels in a similar price range. We were looking forward to using the jacuzzi and steam room, sauna also but it turned out there was no steam room and that the saunas were only within the male and femal changing rooms and no joint one so we didn't bother using it in the end. Having said all this we did enjoy our stay and would return to the hotel but would probably just opt for the standard room in future and try and book when special offers are on as we didn't feel the price was cominsurate fully with what we were expecting.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SmithsPreston_Lancs
Dear SmithsPreston_Lancs,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read how pleased you were with the cleanliness of your room and your breakfast; and that the location of the hotel suited your trip to Manchester.

I'm sorry to read that the decor in your room was not to your taste - being a 110 year old hotel we do find that we need to be sympathetic in refurbishment of the building which rules out overtly modern styles. I will be sure to pass your constructive feedback onto the relevant teams for them to take onboard and improve where necessary.

Rochdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I recently celebrated my 40th birthday at The Midland
Afternoon tea for 12 was just perfect, lovely setting, really looked after and a great selection of food, well presented and a good way to set off the celebrations.
I stayed in the Midland Suite which was pretty special, and other guests stayed in superior rooms all of a very high standard. I had a bottle of champagne waiting for me in my suite with a birthday card from the management what a lovely touch.
We had dinner at Mr coopers which I will write a separate review for but I'd like to thank all the management and staff for their personal touches and everything they did to make my birthday a most memorable couple of days

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Nathanoj,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read that we were able to help to make your 40th birthday such a memorable occasion and I will feed your compliments back to the team in the hotel and in Mr. Cooper's House & Garden.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Stayed here for a one night trip to Manchester and managed to get a great deal through lastminute.com. The hotel is beautiful, the room and bathroom was huge and really well kept. The staff throughout the hotel were really friendly. The central location was great, within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EssieLou
Dear EssieLou,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm very pleased to read how impressed you were during your visit to Manchester, I will pass your kind comments regarding the friendly service you received onto the rest of the team here.

Walsall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

The Midland is a very stylish hotel. The room was very well decorated and fitted the ambiance of a Victoria Hotel well.
The stay was somewhat marred by the breakfast. We booked bed and breakfast and expected a full English to end a love one night stay in Manchester, at no time during the booking was it made clear that our booking only included a continental breakfast, for a nightly tariff of almost £160, we expected a full English, the provision of a continental breakfast for this tariff tainted the experience of our stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

1 Thank Owen T
Dear EssieLou,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding your guestroom and how stylish you though hotel was in general are very much appreciated.

I'm sorry to read that you were disappointed to find that your rate included the Continental Breakfast, I will pass your comments onto our reservations teams so that we can try to ensure that this information is even more noticeable when booking.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Beautiful as ever. Stunning hotel. Missed Carlo the old front of house manager who looked after my dying mother so wonderfully on our previous visits. Making her childhood dream of staying here extra special during her final few months. So a different welcome but still lovely nonetheless.

Stayed in a superior room. But was slightly damp and musty which they must have realised due to the electric aromatherapy unit plugged in in the room.

When I asked for late check out I was told a flat no. But later in the day I asked someone else who was happy to accommodate this request especially as it was my birthday!

Missed breakfast in the colony room as it was being refurbished. The alternative room lacked the ambience of the former and provided fewer breakfast choices than I have previously had at the Midland, but a decent breakfast nonetheless.

Would request a different room next time, but still looking forward to my next return visit as the magic of the Midland still shone through.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank kattak77
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear kattak77,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read that you were so pleased to return to the hotel, I’m sorry that you were disappointed that Carlo has moved on from the hotel and I will pass your comments regarding your room onto our Housekeeping team.

I hope you'll be glad to read that, since your stay last year, we have introduced a new breakfast service which includes the option of an a la carte menu in Mr. Cooper's House & Garden (which was the Colony). I hope you'll be able to join us again soon to see the exciting changes for yourself.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We booked into 'The Midland' last night as a birthday treat for us both. In many respects it lives up to and beyond it's billing as one of the Premier Hotels in Manchester.
However the one aspect that let it down for us was the acoustics in our room.
You can't really expect a 100+ year old building with single glazed windows to totally snuff out the bass from surrounding nightclubs - it didn't - but this was tolerable. And above the entrance to the room there was a transformer (or something very similar) perpetually buzzing. Again - just about tolerable. However the one aspect which was not was the noise of the air conditioning/heating unit. This gives out conditioned (beit heated or chilled) air and the noise of the fan was most intrusive. We went to bed and due to the noise - turned it totally off. I awoke at 2.00am feeling cold and put the heating on. The noise after a long period of silence was extreme and so I had the choice of the room being cold OR noisy. I debated ringing down to reception - but what would they have done at 2.00am? Even if they had another room without this problem - I would not have wanted to decant at that time of the morning. So I put on a sweater and socks got back into bed and eventually got back to sleep.
Once the lights are off and you're going to sleep all you want is comfort with warmth and quiet. Unfortunately last night our options were comfort with warmth OR quiet.
Other part of the hotel are incredible. The leisure facilities, the breakfast and the total ambiance but I need my good nights sleep!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Martin S
Dear Martin S,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to The Midland. I'm sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations.

I would appreciate the opportunity to correct this issue in the guestroom you occupied during your stay and ask if you would be able to contact me directly on 0161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk so that I can gain some information for your reservation and ensure that the issue with the air conditioning is rectified.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,290 reviews
The Principal Manchester
The Principal Manchester
#18 of 115 in Manchester

Been to The Midland? Share your experiences!