“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We booked a one night stay at The Midland hotel to attend a friend’s wedding reception. On check-in we found the lady at reception very helpful and informative. It was the first weekend of the Christmas markets in Manchester so the hotel was decorated for Christmas and looked lovely.
When we got to the room we were amazed that we had been lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite which was huge. It had a massive bedroom with a king size bed, a huge bathroom with separate bath and then a walk-in shower and a huge dinning.
We decided as the room was so lovely we wouldn’t go for breakfast in the morning but have room service instead. We were pleased to find that as were bed and breakfast it was only an extra £5 to have breakfast in your room which was a nice touch.
The room was amazing and very clean and a pleasure to get ready in.
We attended our friend’s wedding reception and again the function room was lovely (very traditional) as was the buffet, we couldn’t fault it.
The next morning our breakfast arrived at its allotted time and it was wonderful, very yummy and plenty of it. We were able to have a full English breakfast as well which was lovely as sometimes it’s only a continental breakfast on room service.
All the staff during our stay were very friendly and helpful and the accommodation was beautiful. We had an amazing stay and would definitely go back, we actually didn’t want to leave the suite as it was so lovely. The hotel as a lovely feel especially I think at Christmas because of its traditional features.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear SamM2509,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland over the festive period. I'm pleased to read how friendly and helpful you found the team here and that you were so pleased with your upgrade to one of our suites.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here recently on a Saturday night as we were having a night out in Manchester - paid £150 and to be honest I probably wouldn't stay again at that price as we only really needed a place to sleep and shower so could probably find something far cheaper.

Overall the hotel is very nice and clean. Reception area is warm and welcoming and the reception staff were extremely helpful and polite - asked if we needed maps or best places to drink etc.

The room was bigger than I thought it would have been - big double bed, seating area and huge bathroom (with bath and shower). Hairdryer, trouser press, iron, ironing board, TV, mini bar, tea and coffee facilities and a few toiletries in the bathroom - so everything you need is there.

Did not use any of the leisure facilities so can not comment on them.

Mr Coopers House and Garden - nice place to have a quiet drink - sampled a couple of beers and cocktails and they were reasonably priced.

Overall a very good hotel, comfortable stay and would recommend - it was just a bit pricey for how long we actually used the room.

Dear EmmaBaxter76,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read how impressed you were by the room and Mr. Cooper's House & Garden. I'm sorry that you felt you weren’t able to make the most of your room due to your short length of stay - I hope to welcome you back for a little longer next time.

Lincoln
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is the 2nd time I've used this hotel. It's a bit like stepping back in time when you enter the huge lobby, it's very grand, and the service we've had has been impeccable. It can sometimes out price itself. The corridors outside the rooms are looking a bit tired and jaded, and the rooms themselves perhaps could do with a bit more TLC. I think the layout of our room could have been better, as it was a corner room and the access to the bathroom was slightly blocked by the minibar - you'd have to be careful of not stubbing your toes in the night!, and it had a smaller than standard double bed - very cosy! The beds are very comfortable to sleep on though. These things aside, this IS a lovely grand hotel with good facilities (gym, swimming pool, sauna, squash courts, beauty salon etc) and the staff are very pleasant and most helpful. Breakfast was excellent, continental breakfast appears to be inclusive (which I didn't know, was expecting to pay extra for breakfast), and full English breakfast is extra. I haven't used the restaurants but they look good, and other guests I'd spoken to raved about the tasting menu. Afternoon tea at The Midland is excellent though. All in all it's very comfortable, service excellent, and I'd stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear LincolnBretty,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you've found the service from our team "impeccable" and that you have enjoyed previous visits to the Octagon Lounge for Afternoon Tea.

I will pass your constructive feedback onto our Housekeeping team so that they can make improvements where possible.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Booked a room for my birthday treat as I'd always fancied staying here and also wanted to eat at the new Simon Rogen restaurant. Assumed for the great value advance booking rate that our bedroom would be a nicely appointed broom closet. Not a bit! Huge room, beautifully appointed and extremely comfortable. The hotel seemed pretty full and was hosting a large wedding party but we had a wonderfully restful night's sleep as the room had decent walls, not the cardboard thin partitions you often get. The staff were efficient and friendly and overall it was a delight to stay here and we will definately be back.

Dear BigClearout,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding your guestroom, the service you received during your visit and the restaurant team in your separate review for Mr. Cooper's House & Garden are much appreciated.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Godalming, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Just got back from second visit to The Midland in Manchester - this time we stayed two nights (Friday and Saturday). We were given a very warm welcome and although we arrived early we could leave our bags with the concierge while we went shopping. We asked for two twin-bedded rooms and they were very big - two double beds in both rooms - which were very comfortable (pillows were very good) and they had left champagne and chocolates in both rooms as an added extra. The staff were all very polite and extremely helpful - probably some of the best-mannered hotel employees I have met. The rooms were very quiet, so despite being in a vibrant city, I had a fantastic night's sleep each night. The breakfast was good - given the high volume of visitors at the weekend, the buffet was replenshed quickly. We tried out the swimming pool, which was quite small, and the sauna, which was fine. The lobby areas were very clean and relaxing. There was no "how to" manual in the room, but when I called Guest services, they explained everything was on the TV - so I was able to look at room service menus, and checking out time through the TV. The bathroom was very clean and the Hans Grohe shower was very good - shampoo, conditioner and shower/bath gel provided. I have already booked to stay here again in June. The hotel offers a number of special deals which if you book in advance make a big difference. A lovely weekend and a gorgeous hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 401 and 449, both on different sides, and both very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear SnooPowell,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how impressed you were with your twin rooms and the service you received throughout your visit to Manchester.

It's great that you were able to make use of our new Smart TVs and that you found both your room so quiet.

Stockport
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Have never stayed at this establishment, but, have taken the guided tour, and, partaken of refreshments !
The names of the eateries have changed of late so one was left somewhat confused...
The Brasserie is now The French.
The Colony Restaurant is now Mr Coopers House and Garden.
The Octagon is still in existence, and, offers much the same fayre as before.
The Wyvern is still in existence, albeit, minus the bar.

Oneself settled for The Octagon.
This being the raised and open seating area to the side of the hotel reception.
There be two parts to this place - the 'inner core' - for more formal dining, and - the 'outer edges' - for more informal nibbling.
Oneself settled for the latter.
The seating be perfectly comfortable, but, it can be a bit of a stretch to reach the table from some seats - particularly for those of shorter / stockier build !
The menu be varied - hot and cold food and drink, plus, 'soft' and 'hard' for the latter.
Oneself has partaken of Afternoon Tea in the past - this was always excellent - drink, food and service.
This time one simply settled for Cocktails - again excellent all round.

Service has always been quick and attentive, but, it has always been paid for - a service charge of ten percent being included in the bill.

Will be sure to pop-in again - with or without our anorak !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank RobertTaggart
Dear RobertTaggart,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Midland. I'm pleased to read how much you enjoyed your visit to the Octagon Lounge – as you say we have undergone some recent refurbishments and hope you'll be able to experience the new restaurants on a future trip into Manchester.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed here on business last weekend and was blown away by the fantastic service. I've travelled the world with work and have stayed in plenty of hotels, but I can honestly say this was probably the warmest welcome I've ever experienced! One young guy in particular on reception went out of his way to provide great service at both check-in and out - warm, welcoming, friendly and helpful. Really put a spring in my step as I left the next morning!

Staff were similarly great in the bar and at breakfast - first class stuff.

The hotel itself was beautiful - a real grand old place. Reception foyer is gorgeous and I loved the tree in the middle. I suppose the rooms are a little on the small side, but I just thought it added to the character of a traditional historical building. Facilities were great - good bar, bathroom and an amazing internet-enabled TV. Bed was brilliant and I slept like a baby.

The one tiny thing that I didn't like was the hairdryer - one of the old-style ones that require you to hold in a button as you dry, which only really works for people with short hair (and not much of it at that!). Still, that's a tiny complaint - the entire place is beautiful and the staff are wonderful. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear furcoatonholiday,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm so pleased to read that you found the service so warm and welcoming.

I hope you'll be pleased to read that we're looking into upgrading the hairdryers provided in the rooms and hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.