“Slept like a log!!”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #12 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 28 March 2014

It was a quick overnight stay and then a meeting the next day, but I really can't fault the hotel.
The Reception staff were excellent, the bedroom was a great size and the bed was so comfortable I almost missed my meeting!! A complimentary glass of wine on arrival was a lovely touch along with a hand written note and a box of sweeties in my room.
Details of the next day's meeting had been printed out and to be honest I didn't have to ask for anything. Having real filter coffee in the room was a great bonus after such a deep sleep.
I would have loved to have experienced the breakfast but slept through it.
The meeting room was good and the only point I could comment on, was the decor on the way to the conference room. It was a bit dark and in need of a new coat of paint to brighten the corridors up. Other than that, it ticked all the right boxes and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for other travellers.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Pebblepower23,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read how much you enjoyed your overnight stay and morning meeting, and that the event ran so smoothly.

I will pass your constructive comments onto our housekeeping and maintenance teams and hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,307)

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I had just one night at the Midland Hotel in Manchester - great hotel, lovely ambience. Rather stupidly I left some IT equipment behind - and thought I'd never see it again. However, Jo Mossford in charge of lost property (and other things I am sure) found it, sorted it out and arranged for me to be reunited with it in just a few moments.

I was enormously impressed by the speed and efficiency of Jo's response - who made me feel that it was very important to him to sort my problem out. This is service at its best - and why I would recommend this hotel.

Thanks to Jo and all of the other staff who made our stay comfortable, enjoyable and easy.

Gail

Dear Gail B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's wonderful to read how pleased you were wish your stay and particulaly the service you received from Joe after check-out - I will pass your compliments onto him personally.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed one night at the Midland. It is a very expensive hotel, for the North of England, even in a thriving city like Manchester. Room as luxurious as expected.
But I thought it was utterly pathetic, that when I came for breakfast, they could not supply anything more than a very unappetising Continental breakfast. When I complained to a person who identified himself as the manager, he took the line that as my room price did not include breakfast, they were not obliged to provide any breakfast at all - so, in effect, I was very lucky to have been able to buy anything.
This used to be one of the great hotels of England. What a disappointment.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Jon R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm sorry to read that your breakfast experience detracted so much from your stay - although I'm pleased that you found your guestroom "as luxurious as expected".

I will pass your constructive feedback onto the team here so that we can make improvements where necessary, please accept my apologies again that your experience did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Spent a week here and loved it. The staff are superb, just like they were in the olden days but very friendly as well. Absolutely loved the reception area apart from the smelly chairs near the entrance and the pink plastic magnolia tree. Retro at its worst. Look past the tree and see the architectural beauty.

The rooms are very comfortable indeed. Room service is excellent breakfasts are superb. The restaurant/bar is a bit pricy but you get what you pay for, Smashing location and loads of good restaurants to choose from otherwise in the vicinity.- check out CIO Italian restaurant in the next street
Superb health centre with a lovely Jacuzzi. Some of my colleagues really rated the beauty salon and they have some very good offers indeed. Cannot comment from personal experience though
Its really very well worthwhile staying here

Dear McCreery-Morbach,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's wonderful to read that you loved the hotel and our reception.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We booked a one night stay at The Midland hotel to attend a friend’s wedding reception. On check-in we found the lady at reception very helpful and informative. It was the first weekend of the Christmas markets in Manchester so the hotel was decorated for Christmas and looked lovely.
When we got to the room we were amazed that we had been lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite which was huge. It had a massive bedroom with a king size bed, a huge bathroom with separate bath and then a walk-in shower and a huge dinning.
We decided as the room was so lovely we wouldn’t go for breakfast in the morning but have room service instead. We were pleased to find that as were bed and breakfast it was only an extra £5 to have breakfast in your room which was a nice touch.
The room was amazing and very clean and a pleasure to get ready in.
We attended our friend’s wedding reception and again the function room was lovely (very traditional) as was the buffet, we couldn’t fault it.
The next morning our breakfast arrived at its allotted time and it was wonderful, very yummy and plenty of it. We were able to have a full English breakfast as well which was lovely as sometimes it’s only a continental breakfast on room service.
All the staff during our stay were very friendly and helpful and the accommodation was beautiful. We had an amazing stay and would definitely go back, we actually didn’t want to leave the suite as it was so lovely. The hotel as a lovely feel especially I think at Christmas because of its traditional features.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear SamM2509,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland over the festive period. I'm pleased to read how friendly and helpful you found the team here and that you were so pleased with your upgrade to one of our suites.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here recently on a Saturday night as we were having a night out in Manchester - paid £150 and to be honest I probably wouldn't stay again at that price as we only really needed a place to sleep and shower so could probably find something far cheaper.

Overall the hotel is very nice and clean. Reception area is warm and welcoming and the reception staff were extremely helpful and polite - asked if we needed maps or best places to drink etc.

The room was bigger than I thought it would have been - big double bed, seating area and huge bathroom (with bath and shower). Hairdryer, trouser press, iron, ironing board, TV, mini bar, tea and coffee facilities and a few toiletries in the bathroom - so everything you need is there.

Did not use any of the leisure facilities so can not comment on them.

Mr Coopers House and Garden - nice place to have a quiet drink - sampled a couple of beers and cocktails and they were reasonably priced.

Overall a very good hotel, comfortable stay and would recommend - it was just a bit pricey for how long we actually used the room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear EmmaBaxter76,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read how impressed you were by the room and Mr. Cooper's House & Garden. I'm sorry that you felt you weren’t able to make the most of your room due to your short length of stay - I hope to welcome you back for a little longer next time.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is the 2nd time I've used this hotel. It's a bit like stepping back in time when you enter the huge lobby, it's very grand, and the service we've had has been impeccable. It can sometimes out price itself. The corridors outside the rooms are looking a bit tired and jaded, and the rooms themselves perhaps could do with a bit more TLC. I think the layout of our room could have been better, as it was a corner room and the access to the bathroom was slightly blocked by the minibar - you'd have to be careful of not stubbing your toes in the night!, and it had a smaller than standard double bed - very cosy! The beds are very comfortable to sleep on though. These things aside, this IS a lovely grand hotel with good facilities (gym, swimming pool, sauna, squash courts, beauty salon etc) and the staff are very pleasant and most helpful. Breakfast was excellent, continental breakfast appears to be inclusive (which I didn't know, was expecting to pay extra for breakfast), and full English breakfast is extra. I haven't used the restaurants but they look good, and other guests I'd spoken to raved about the tasting menu. Afternoon tea at The Midland is excellent though. All in all it's very comfortable, service excellent, and I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear LincolnBretty,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you've found the service from our team "impeccable" and that you have enjoyed previous visits to the Octagon Lounge for Afternoon Tea.

I will pass your constructive feedback onto our Housekeeping team so that they can make improvements where possible.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.