“Fabulous stay ... thank you !!”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Fabulous stay ... thank you !!”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

There is something about this hotel that I just love. From check-in to check-out the service is always superb. Rooms all a little unique, and spotlessly clean. Food great and location perfect for a stay in Manchester. If only every hotel could deliver as consistently as the Midland.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear MalcH,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how much you've enjoyed yet another excellent stay with us.

I will pass your compliments onto the whole team here and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night whilst doing some Xmas shopping.
We had no issues at all. The check in was efficient & friendly. The suite we had was lovely, very clean & had everything we needed. The bathroom was a good size & well appointed. In the morning we had a room service breakfast that arrived on time and was definitely one of the better hotel breakfasts we've had. All in all we'll be back here when in the area.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Makes E,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's wonderful to read how pleased you were with your visit and I will pass your comments onto our housekeeping and room service teams - I know they'll be pleased that their hard work has been appreciated.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I spent a night at The Midland recently and once again it didn’t fail to impress. The location of the hotel is fantastic if you want to be right in the heart of the city centre, but enjoy a more elegant feel than some of the other hotels nearby. On arrival, the reception staff were as friendly and courteous as ever and Paul the concierge was really helpful when we were talking about how to spend our evening. As always, I found the room to be clean, spacious and it certainly gives you a real sense of class.
Some changes have been made since I last stayed and I was really impressed with the refurbished ‘Mr Coopers’ which was a fantastic place to start the evening with a couple of drinks.
In the morning, the breakfast arrangements had also changed from the last time I stayed and I enjoyed the new continental style on offer, but with the usual great service from the staff for whom nothing ever seems too much trouble.
All in all, a great stay in a fabulous setting and looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Harry M
Dear Harry M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at The Midland. I will pass your kind compliments onto our reception and concierge teams for their hard work - particularly Paul who was able to help you plan your evening in Manchester.

It's fantastic to read that you were so impressed with the changes at the hotel and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I've had the pleasure of staying at the Midland on a few occasions now, both for business and pleasure. In my working life, I spend 70% of my time in hotels around the country, so I think I'm pretty qualified when I say the Midland stands head and shoulders above most other hotels - both in Manchester and throughout the UK, and world!
The hotel oozes sophistication and charm - the lobby is a treat in itself, in terms of architecture and atmosphere, and this is complimented by the friendly and professional manner of the staff
The rooms are excellent, in terms of size, decoration and features - everything you would expect in a hotel of this standing - comfy bed, great shower, top quality complimentary soap/shampoo etc.
The quality of food and drink is excellent, as is the surroundings in the dining rooms and bars - again, complimented by the standard of service received
As someone who lives out of a suitcase for a living, it's rare that I say I look forward to staying at a hotel - but this is one place that I can genuinely say that - I look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Paul H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how impressed youvw been with the hotel and the service you've received here.

I'm pleased that you, as someone who travels regularly, feel the standards at The Midland are so high compared to other hotels you've experienced and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Good hotel with real old fashioned quality and service. Very modern well presented en-suite room with terrific cabinet with all tea, coffee and water combinations. Lovely quality furniture, and very comfortable bed. Great shower and bath and lovely complimentary toiletries. Meals were terrific and service was all that I could have asked for

Room Tip: Trams pass one side of the hotel from early morning to late night and it is better to be on the side...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear RRH1999,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's wonderful to read such lovely comments regarding the quality and service which you experienced during your visit to the hotel.

I will pass your compliments onto the rest of the team here and hope to welcome you back to The Midland very soon.

Lytham St. Annes
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed for three nights on a bed and breakfast basis and had been upgraded as an apology for our last disastrous stay which had failed miserably on service. The reception staff were efficient. The room was large, clean and comfortable but the key card failed to unlock the door on four separate occasions. I have mobility problems and on each occasion I had to walk to get replacement cards. There is obviously a problem with this door. On the first morning I was told by the restaurant manager that breakfast was £20 per person. I pointed out that we were on a B&B rate and she said she would have to check. A few minutes later she came back and confirmed that we were on B&B rate. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THIS GRAND HISTORICAL 5* HOTEL?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wilson S
Dear Wilson S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read your positive comments regarding our reception team and the size and cleanliness of your guestroom.

I'm disappointed, however, to read that some aspects of your stay did not live up to your expectations and I will certainly ask our maintenance team to look at the lock to the bedroom door, as well as speaking to our breakfast team about the confusion over breakfast in the first morning of your visit.

If you wish to correspond with me further regarding your experience you can contact me directly on 0161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We booked an overnight stay, with breakfast included, to celebrate our daughter's 21st birthday. We found the front staff on reception cheerful and helpful: we asked for a room change ( one of the small doubles, with very little natural light ) and they were very pleasant about this and offered us a much nicer room in a similar price range. The porter was very keen to show us the room and asked if we were satisfied with the substitute - which we were. The 2 rooms were spotless, too. However, please note there was a downside - and this constituted the famous re- organised breakfast arrangements. I have stayed in the Midland previously when there was just one room / one price for English/ continental breakfast. It used to be one of the highlights of the stay. No longer, in our opinion. First of all, there was an unhappy mix - up on the tariff. The internet provider had issued us ' breakfast inclusive ' tickets. Other websites either omitted breakfast or classed it as 'continental'. We assumed we were entitled to a full breakfast, but were greeted by an interrogation at the entrance to the restaurant. No we were only entitled to the apartheid of the continental restaurant across the way. It was highly public and embarrassing. We upgraded by paying a bit extra each. The front staff remained calm ( we weren't ) apologetic and helpful and it appeared that this was not the first time clientele and staff had experienced misunderstandings with internet bookings. The meal ? Not a patch on the previous occasion. Very expensive, with a limited menu. The smoked fish was delicious, but one plate had to be returned because the portion was miniscule. The croissants were hard and cold; the continental meat choices were limited to a few slices of indifferent salami and prosciutto; the cheese was in tiny slices and very, very ordinary. To reflect what others have said in recent reviews: disappointing for a top hotel in Manchester. I do hope the management will rethink this guest apartheid and sad change in breakfast quality. There appear to be some issues which need to be sorted out pretty quickly by the management. We will definitely stay again in this elegant, friendly hotel - but will take breakfast in the nearby Starbucks/ Costa cafés next time. If you read recent reviews quite a few people seem to be making complaints about the Midland breakfast ! Four stars because overall it is a very good hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to change a room if not satisfied - but arrive early. Staff were very obliging and wanted us to...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Paula H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how pleased you were with the service you received from our reception and concierge team during your stay.

I'm sorry to read that your breakfast experience did not match your expectations and I will personally take your concerns up with the breakfast team to help them make improvements where possible.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.