“Underwhelmed rather than overwhelmed!”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a suite room which was very spacious but for me that's where the excitement ended really! 2 double beds pushed together even with the sheets etc you could still tell. The wifi was very slow meaning a lot of the interactive services on the tv wouldn't work. There was no option to rent a movie which I have seen in other cheaper hotels. The continental breakfast was ok but nothing amazing, the reviews I heard before going set my expectations high and they weren't met. For the price of the room I wouldn't stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Barney1985
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Barney1985,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you were impressed by the space available in one of our suites, however I'm concerned to read that you were disappointed that your experience did not live up to your expectations.

I will pass your constructive feedback onto the relevant teams and ensure that they make improvements where possible.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon so that we have the opportunity to improve your opinion of The Midland in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed here early April on the first floor. The room was absolutely fantastic, lovely room, clean, tidy, couldn't say anything wrong about it.

The service downstairs when checking in was good. The only thing we were quite surprised about was we didn't get offered any breakfast or dinner that evening. We weren't sure what was on offer to us other than the leisure facilities.

But overall a really nice stay. Definitely stay again in the future

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel O

Dear Rachel O,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's wonderful to read that you thought your room was fantastic and that the service you received from reception was good.

I'm sorry you weren't given any information on the restaurants in the hotel, it's possible that the restaurants/breakfast was fully booked and therefore our reception team would not have been able to offer anything. I will, however, reiterate with our Front Office Manager the importance of information regarding the facilities on offer.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed here for one night, cost £115, prepaid.
The room was on the sixth floor. Seemed OK when I walked in. Good size.
Once i'd been there for a few minutes I realised that some decent bedcovers, and a new telly, don't make a room "nice" on their own..
The wallpaper was a bit scungy, and the windows were "locked" with some Turbogold PZ2 60mm screws by the looks of things. Very nice. I can understand that they don't want people jumping out the windows, but seriously ? I'm not sure if the furniture was supposed to match or not, but it didn't. it looked like someone had raided a second hand shop in a hurry.

Anyway, there was a very distinct smoky (as in cigarette stale ash) smell coming from the bathroom. Clearly some sort of issue with the aircon intake or maybe it just needed cleaned.
Bathroom itself was modern nicely tiled and clean looking though. Jus the smell from the aircon sort of ruined it.

I didn't eat in the hotel, had breakfast at Café Nero next door.
parking is right behind the hotel cost £18 or thereabouts.

I think i'd probably stay somewhere else next time although it was very handy for where I was going.

Room Tip: Don't stay on floor 6 !
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Domhnachdaoi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you found your room to be a good size and the bathroom to be clean and modern.

I'm concerned to read that you were disappointed by other aspects of your room and I will certainly pass your observations onto the relevant departments so that they can implement changes where possible.

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

There is no denying that this hotel is beautiful. The reception is impressive and staff were welcoming and always friendly.The rooms are spacious and clean. Our room on the 4th floor faced on to the road and was generally quiet apart from on the first night when there was a function at the hotel and the music was very loud. I also found it unusual that the bathroom did not have the usual toiletries that I would expect (shower cap, vanity set).
Service seems to a suffer a bit when the hotel is busy. It took two requests and over an hour for ice to be brought to our room and breakfast the next day in Mr Cooper's was a chaotic affair. It took two requests to get out hot drinks, two to get milk and our toast order was wrong. Food was delicious (although the Kedgeree portion was very small). We also had a cocktail in Mr Cooper's on the Saturday evening and can highly recommend it!
I used the leisure facilities on the Saturday morning and the pool was gloriously warm!
I have stayed in other hotels in Manchester and this was by far the best. My review would have been excellent but for a few small things.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 65kriss,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read that you found the hotel to be "by far the best" you've experienced in Manchester however I'm sorry that a few small things detracted from what was an otherwise excellent stay.

I will pass your constructive feedback onto the relevant teams and I to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

There is something about this hotel that I just love. From check-in to check-out the service is always superb. Rooms all a little unique, and spotlessly clean. Food great and location perfect for a stay in Manchester. If only every hotel could deliver as consistently as the Midland.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear MalcH,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how much you've enjoyed yet another excellent stay with us.

I will pass your compliments onto the whole team here and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night whilst doing some Xmas shopping.
We had no issues at all. The check in was efficient & friendly. The suite we had was lovely, very clean & had everything we needed. The bathroom was a good size & well appointed. In the morning we had a room service breakfast that arrived on time and was definitely one of the better hotel breakfasts we've had. All in all we'll be back here when in the area.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Makes E,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's wonderful to read how pleased you were with your visit and I will pass your comments onto our housekeeping and room service teams - I know they'll be pleased that their hard work has been appreciated.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I spent a night at The Midland recently and once again it didn’t fail to impress. The location of the hotel is fantastic if you want to be right in the heart of the city centre, but enjoy a more elegant feel than some of the other hotels nearby. On arrival, the reception staff were as friendly and courteous as ever and Paul the concierge was really helpful when we were talking about how to spend our evening. As always, I found the room to be clean, spacious and it certainly gives you a real sense of class.
Some changes have been made since I last stayed and I was really impressed with the refurbished ‘Mr Coopers’ which was a fantastic place to start the evening with a couple of drinks.
In the morning, the breakfast arrangements had also changed from the last time I stayed and I enjoyed the new continental style on offer, but with the usual great service from the staff for whom nothing ever seems too much trouble.
All in all, a great stay in a fabulous setting and looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Harry M

Dear Harry M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at The Midland. I will pass your kind compliments onto our reception and concierge teams for their hard work - particularly Paul who was able to help you plan your evening in Manchester.

It's fantastic to read that you were so impressed with the changes at the hotel and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.