The Midland
US$178
US$161
Hilton
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$112
US$95
  • Free Internet
5,416 results
All reviewsmr coopersafternoon teaq hotelsoctagon loungebeautiful hotelsuperior roomfantastic staymini barreception areacentral manchestersaturday nightlovely roomcooked breakfastcity centrestayed for one nightmember of staffmidlands
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I recently visited the Midland Hotel for a family wedding. Upon arriving after the service it seemed that the hotel were not ready for us, a member of staff rudely saying "your too early" to the wedding party!
Speaking from experience studying and working in the hospitality industry I was shocked when it came to dinner time, the waiting staff who were inexperienced at their job lifted soup bowls with service cloths in the soup! Therefore when setting the bowl down they dragged soup along the rim of the bowl close to the guests outfits!
The meal itself was of poor quality for a 4* hotel the chicken was dry and many people at the table did not eat it, staff were not very attentive to the guests and because my table was towards the back of the room we were often forgot about which is unacceptable.
Overall the experience in The Midland Hotel was less than impressive and I will not be in a hurry back!

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank AMG795
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This hotel scores very highly on all but two significant areas. On the plus side the hotel and rooms are of a very high standard, exceptionally clean, well equipped and stylish. The hotel staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Interactive TV in my room was a new experience for me, but extremely good once I got the hand of it. Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel and I couldn't find a blind spot in the areas I tried this out. Secure safe in each room. Food is a very good quality and alcohol prices on a par with most hotels.

Two negatives however:
1) Tram noise. Clearly this is not the fault of the hotel, but for those who are perhaps light sleepers, they need to avoid at least one particular side of the hotel. Despite, double glazing et al, the frequent (every minute) rumble of tram trains passing by plus the blowing of their horn every time they moved off from the adjacent junction was extremely annoying and disturbing late into the night.

2) Only a continental breakfast available, and a limited one at that. Note this was nothing to do with the price paid so far as I could make out. In a hotel of this size and quality this was a real surprise. I would also mention that the classical music blasting out of the speakers during breakfast was far to loud - If I had played music this loud in my room, the neighbours would quite rightfully have complained.

I would have given the hotel an Excellent rating if it were not for the two points above. It's a shame it is let down by both exterior factors (trams) which I appreciate the hotel has no control over and the very limited breakfast choice which they most definitely do have a control over.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the tram line side of the building.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear S D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read how impressed you were with your room, the service received from our team and our new Smart TVs.

I'm sorry to read that you were disturbed by the sound of the trams outside; we do have some fantastic rooms facing into our internal light wells which tend to suit lighter sleepers.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon, please feel free to e-mail me at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk before your next visit; so that I can allocate an internal room for you.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The Midland Hotel is a large, well situated, city centre hotel which is immaculately clean throughout. The staff are helpful, courteous, pleasant and attentive. My bedroom lacked drawers for the storage of clothing and the wardrobe, in a double room, was perfectly adequate for one but somewhat restricted for two. The en-suite was first class but lacked a toilet brush.
The only meals I had in the hotel were morning breakfasts when the selection of food on offer was much more limited than I normally experience and, very surprisingly for a large, well regarded prestigious hotel, table service was not available. The lounge and bar area were spacious and comfortable and the cost of drinks compared favourably with most other hotels of similar standing.
Overall it is ideal for guests attending conferences in the adjacent conference centre or for someone visiting on business but it is unlikely to appeal so much to the tourist.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Clydesider
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Clydesider,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding the staff here, the cleanliness throughout the hotel and the comfort and pricing of our lounge bar are much appreciated.

I will pass your constructive feedback onto the relevant departments so that they can make improvements where possible.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I booked this hotel for myself and my son as a birthday treat and we loved it. The staff made a special effort because of the occasion and even delivered a complimentary gift to the room, a small gesture but a lovely touch. I found the staff to be very helpful, especially Bernadette and the concierges. The room was 401 was well appointed, very comfortable bed and modern bathroom. My son especially enjoyed having a "smart" tv in the room. The hotel is well located for the trams, although service was disrupted one of our days there due to upgrading works...One downside was the price of breakfast - £20 each, even though my son is 12 so we ate breakfast elsewhere. All in all, I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

Room Tip: Room 401 close to the lifts but no lift noise
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Car1407,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how much you and your son loved the hotel and I'll be sure to pass your compliments onto Bernadetta and the concierge team for their fantastic service during your visit.

It's great that we were able to help keep your son entertained during your trip with one of our new smart TVs and I hope we can welcome you both back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here just after we got married for a short break. We found the room on a really good deal (a Lastminute.com secret hotel) and to make it even better, we were upgraded to a King Room on arrival! The lady at reception also sent us a wedding congratulations card to our room which was a really nice gesture. The other staff members were really friendly and helpful, they lent us a pound coin for the lockers in the leisure area and kept our bags for a few hours after check-out. Much nicer service than we've ever had in a UK hotel before. The interior of the room was a bit tired and the shower was a bit rubbish but overall it was clean and comfortable and had all the extras you would expect, including a really handy smart TV which we could use for Netflix, Facebook and internet access free of charge. We will come back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear goo2088,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your fantastic comments regarding the service you received from our team here are much appreciated.

I'm pleased to read you were so impressed with the apps available on our new Smart TVs and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.