“Perfect”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night, room 541, king junior suite paid £150 thru hotel no brecki - £12 each for continental &£20 each for hot Buffett but I'm sure it would have been of a high standard tho. Check in staff lovely, used the parking service - £25 for 24 hours, also used room service - pizza & chips about £15 & was fab. All in all this is a lovely hotel, has a luxury feel to it & all the staff were so so lovely, would recommend this hotel 100%.

• Stayed: April 2014
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Becky63,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. To be described as "perfect" must be the highest praise we can hope for and it's fantastic to read that you were able to make use of our Valet Parking and Room Service facilities to make your trip even more relaxing.

I'll feed your kind comments regarding the staff you encountered during your visit back to the team here who I'm sure will join me in hoping to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have nothing but high praise for The Midland - we stayed for two nights over the Easter weekend and we were delighted at the luxurious feel of the hotel's public areas and at the high standard of the room. The room was spacious and well-appointed, the bed was extremely comfortable and the shower pressure in the bathroom was terrific. Having an 'inward-facing' room meant that there was no noise from outside and helped us have two very peaceful nights' sleep. I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for quality accommodation in Manchester's city centre.

Room Tip: Request an 'inward-facing' room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Stephen W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your Easter break at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding how delighted you were with the hotel's public spaces and your peaceful room are fantastic to read and I will pass your compliments onto the rest of the team here.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stayed at this great hotel again last week whilst attending a friends wedding. Check in was smooth and simply and was welcomed back by the reception staff. My room was large and bright, It was located on the 'tram side' of the building but I didn’t hear a thing, which was great.

The function room (The Stanley Room) was a grand old wooden walled room which made a perfect venue for the evening function. The staff looking after us couldn’t have done any more, and the drinks on offer in the hotel bars were very nice (especially the Tatton Blonde in the Mr Coopers Bar).

Although Mr Coopers was closed at the end of our party, we enjoyed the main bar for a few more drinks. A very nice and relaxing area and not over run considering there was a couple of other events on that evening in the hotel

The breakfast has changed since my last stay and is now a continental breakfast but you can upgrade to a hot breakfast (for a charge). The continental option was great , some lovely Smoothies, fresh pastries and a nice selection of meats and cheeses. Again the staff looked after us brilliantly.

As the title of my review reads; this was a great return visit and I look forward to the next excuse I can find to stay at this wonderful old building

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear AJM84,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read such kind comments regarding the service you received throughout your stay and how much you liked your guest room.

I must agree the Stanley Room has some fantastic character - you can just imagine it filled with comfy leather armchairs and roaring fires when it was originally used as the Gentleman's Reading Room in the early years of the hotel.

I hope to welcome you back to The Midland again very soon.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night as we seeing a show at the Bridgewater hall and the hotel is lovely! Service was great from check in to check out. Rooms spacious, clean & comfy. The beds were very comfortable. We will definitely be staying here again on our next trip to Manchester. There's lots of restaurants nearby & a very short walk into the heart of the city.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Rose P,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's wonderful to read how enjoyable you found your stay and how handy the location was for a short walk to the Bridgewater Hall.

I will pass your kind comments regarding the service and cleanliness you experienced onto the rest of the team who I know will appreciate your compliments.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed here for one night while going for a meal and show in Manchester. The location is excellent and the hotel is impressive. I particularly liked the wide corridors which gave a lovely feeling of space. The room was spotless and well appointed. We did not hear any noise at night and the bed was very comfortable. The only negative was the very poor air conditioning. It was a warm night and even on the coldest setting the room was uncomfortably warm.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear annielough,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's great to read how well the location of the hotel suited your trip to Manchester and I'm pleased to read how impressive you found the building.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed for one night whilst in the city for a concert. We have stayed at the Midland a number of times and like the location and ambiance at this hotel. I particularly like the cocktail bar where you can sit and people watch in comfort and with good service. This time we booked a king room and paid for the a la carte English breakfast. The room was quite small but clean and comfortable with a king bed. Didn't like the shower, was one of those over the bath one's and the shower curtain kept sticking to me. The shower hadn't been properly adjusted and actually fell down and hit me on the head so watch out for that. We were not there long enough to make the most of the facilities but we did enjoy a nightcap in the cocktail bar after our concert which was very nice. The Mr Coopers restaurant has had a bit of a makeover since we stayed last and now has a "garden" themed area, I liked it. We helped ourselves to continental breakfast items but the hit breakfast was cooked to order and was delicious. Good service and friendly staff. Had a sneaky look into the French restaurant which has also recently been rebranded, furniture didn't really fit the size and grandeur of the room in my opinion. The reception area is very grand and always kept immaculate, some of the other public areas looking a little faded for example carpet in the corridors on the 4th floor a little shabby now. Overall though I'd say this is my favourite hotel in Manchester for location, comfort of rooms and friendliness of staff. We will be back.

Room Tip: Never had a bad one here
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Julnw,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read such positive comments regarding your breakfast experience in Mr. Cooper's House & Garden and hope that your opinion of our breakfast offering has now improved since your last review.

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I recently visited the Midland Hotel for a family wedding. Upon arriving after the service it seemed that the hotel were not ready for us, a member of staff rudely saying "your too early" to the wedding party!
Speaking from experience studying and working in the hospitality industry I was shocked when it came to dinner time, the waiting staff who were inexperienced at their job lifted soup bowls with service cloths in the soup! Therefore when setting the bowl down they dragged soup along the rim of the bowl close to the guests outfits!
The meal itself was of poor quality for a 4* hotel the chicken was dry and many people at the table did not eat it, staff were not very attentive to the guests and because my table was towards the back of the room we were often forgot about which is unacceptable.
Overall the experience in The Midland Hotel was less than impressive and I will not be in a hurry back!

Stayed: April 2014