“Warning about reservations, be aware before you book”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Once you make your reservation there is not cancellation and they will not refund any funds at all or change dates!
My husband inadvertently booked the wrong dates for the Midland, a Q Hotel in Manchester, England They responded to us that they will not change the dates which has caused difficulty in our train travel and now we have to redo our entire itinerary. It was his mistake - unfortunately, but we called within 24 hours to try to correct it. We are in California and we booked online over the weekend, so the time zone was not a help and we did not get a message until after the weekend. This hotel, perhaps the Q chain as well, seems to handle reservations as remotely as possible. We have not been able to speak to a manager at the hotel, though we called. Now we are going to Manchester on earlier dates because of their inflexibility to allow us to change the reservation for a few days later. I resent the trend of hotels not allowing cancellations, though I understand that they do not like people booking and cancelling. However to cancel within 24 hours or even 2 days because of a weekend seems reasonable and hotels may take advantage of this by making money on cancellations. The rooms are expensive. I try to book hotels that do not have strict cancellation policies but my husband did not pay attention to the cancellation policy.

This is very important. Make sure before you book a room at Q hotels that you know your dates and will not need to cancel. It is very expensive otherwise. My best advice is to read cancellation policies and stay away from hotels that will not allow you to cancel after you book.

I resent the impersonal email response we got and wish the hotel to know that we now have difficulty in our travel arrangements. It is little to ask that they change the stay for the 2 nights we wanted. We did not ask to cancel completely but only to change dates. Very inflexible and I will not book a Q hotel again.

Susanne Campbell

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank suzanochka
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear suzanochka,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your experience with our central reservations team, I'm concerned to read how disappointed you were with the service you have received and I have relayed your disappointment to the management there.

We offer a range of rates, including pre-paid, in order to provide a great price for our guests and, while the pre-paid reservations are non-refundable, we can usually accommodate a change of dates subject to availability.

I would appreciate the opportunity to put this right for you - you can contact me directly on +44161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This weekend break at the Midland far exceeded our expectations. The room was beautiful, large, tastefully decorated, with all facilities you would hope for. In particular, it was the decor and style of the room which stood out, decadent and sumptuous, it has kept its historical appearance but with a modern feel! A real treat! Close by to all Manchester's shops, theatres and restaurants, I would really recommend this hotel and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 997carey

Dear 997carey,

It's wonderful to read how impressed you were with your room and that you thought we'd managed to update the decor without losing the origional features which give the hotel it's character.

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor - I hope to welcome you back to The Midland very soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a conference.

Location: top of oxford road. Close to shops and bus/tram stops.

Room: Modern decor with traditional style shaped room. Tea and biscuits provided. Comfortable beds.

Spa: heated pool with jacuzzi, A lovely treat

Breakfast: continental breakfat included with room. Friendly staff. Not fresh orange juice. Boiled eggs and fruit.

Would recommend especially if there is a good deal on!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank nides77

Dear nides77,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as a business traveller at The Midland. It's great to read that the hotel's location suited your trip to Manchester and I hope that you found your comfortable bed an aid to relaxing after a busy day at conference.

I will pass your compliments onto the team at breakfast for their friendly service and I'm sure they'll join me in hoping to welcome you back to The Midland very soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Knowing a few people in Manchester i asked for the best hotel in a central location. And the midland was it. Bearing in mind we had just 6 days earlier been in lovely egypt a trip to rainy manchester wasnt an experience i was massively looking forward to but we had tickets fot calvin harris o 23rd december so off we went! Got a taxi from the train station (aprox 10 mins £5) and very walkable from the shopping centre-there was a german? Market when we went! Check in was a bit slow but easy and we had a very helpful receptionist. In the lift we to our floor down a long corridor to our room. A lovely sized room lovely bathroom lovely bed! My boyfriend wasnt too well and even he fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow! The only slight 'issue' was when we went for breakfast which was included in our price we were told the room was full but if we waited 5 minutes they were opening the second room - all set up for breakfast i dont think anything was missing but just advise to get to breakfast early otherwise you will wait! If i ever venture up north to manchester again i will only stay at the midland-i loved it!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jemima1183

Dear jemima1183,

Thank you for sharing such a fantastic review with the TripAdvisor Community; it's excellent to read that you found the location convenient for transport; as well as a night on the tiles in Manchester, and that your boyfriend was able to use the room to recuperate before your concert.

I hope you'll need to venture back up North very soon and look forward to welcoming you back to The Midland when you do!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Enjoyed our stay at the hotel but the view from our room wasn't very pleasant. We were at the back of the hotel overlooking a dilapidated courtyard. Breakfast was lovely but we were served by a less than pleasant young girl who never smiled once and made us feel quite uncomfortable. All the other staff were lovely.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Margaret P.

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay, I'm sorry to read that you were disappointed with your experience during your visit to The Midland.

I have passed your concerns regarding breakfast onto our Operations Manager but I'm pleased to read that you thought the food itself was lovely.

Our internal rooms are great for those guests who are light sleepers and are perhaps not used to the hustle and bustle of a night in a city like Manchester. I'm sorry that yours didn't suit your needs on this occasion but I hope you can return to Manchester and try the hotel soon - I'd love the opportunity to show you a couple of our external rooms; some of which have fantastic views onto St Peter's Square or over to Manchester Central and the Bridgewater Hall.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on business in April. The perfect location for Manchester Central Conference Venue. Staff were helpful & polite, I forgot toothpaste & 1 simple call to reception & they delivered a kit to my room within just a few minutes. The bedroom was gorgeous, so spacious & a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was good too. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a business or leisure stay, would like to return for a leisure stay to enjoy the lovely hotel more.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CharCharCharChar

Dear CharCharCharChar,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic experience with TripAdvisor. It's wonderful to read that we managed to make a business stay so special and that you'd like to return for a more leisurely break in the future - I hope you can return to Manchester soon and that I'll have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Midland.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

having seen this hotel on previous trips to Manchester i decided to book it for my partners birthday, and what a treat it was.

our car was taken to be parked when we arrived and brought back when we asked. I mentioned on check in the reason for our visit and was given a complementary upgrade, which was a lovely treat. we had been in our room for a few minutes when we got a knock at the door and it was a concierge with a birthday card from the hotel.

lovely room and a great night out in manchester. will definitely be back in the future.

Room Tip: internal rooms although have no proper view they are very quiet