“Fantastic hotel”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have had a lovely 2 night stay in this hotel as I attended a work conference. The room was really comfortable and had all the facilities I would have expected. The staff cleaned the room perfectly after my first night. The food was excellent and the staff were all extremely polite and always ready to offer to help. The Wifi was also reliable and free. On this occasion I didn't have time to explore Manchester, but this hotel is conveniently located for visiting the sights. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Mairan L,

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Midland, it's great to know that the facilities, cleanliness and service on offer during your stay were more than up to scratch.

I hope we can welcome you back to Manchester soon and that you'll have some more time to enjoy some of the wonderful sights of the city (you can always ask our Concierge if you need to be pointed in the right direction.)

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,214)

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Absolutely fantastic room as always and the staff are great and helpful , love the shower and all the treats . the food was fantastic at the French as always need to move to Milton Keynes ?? , hope they get the star ,but food was great

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Elvispresleys70,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a great experience with TripAdvisor - it's wonderful to read that you enjoyed yet another fantastic room, some great service from our team and a new experience at The French by Simon Rogan.

Simon's empire is certainly expanding and, who knows, he may one day be with you in Milton Keynes! In the meantime I'm sure he'd join me in hoping to welcome you back to The French and The Midland very soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We checked in for one night and had two rooms on the first floor last weekend. While the lobby maintains the aura of a high quality hotel, the business model lets it down dramatically. They had a large function on the ground floor, which is normal, but what is unacceptable was the music. This was played so loudly until 1.00 AM that the windows in my boy's room actually rattled. No-one in the management bothered to tell to turn it down so all the paying guests suffered until the part stopped. So they basically sold us rooms that were unusable.

I complained the next day and the duty manager was very professional. She promised that the customer relations person would call me to apologise but they have not done so. As a frequent traveller to the City , I would advise anyone from staying there over the weekend, as they clearly think that high fee paying parties are more important than guests.

Keith

Room Tip: choose a high room or another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear KeithSwabey,

I hope our direct correspondence since your review has gone some way to rectifying your disappointment with the hotel during your recent visit.

I look forward to having the opportunity to showcase the fantastic service and product, for which the Midland is famous, very soon.

Thank you for your candid comments.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Went for one night stay .. Liked it right in the centre close to everywhere. Nice clean.. Bad view but can't really complain.. Nice pool and gym. Will Defo stay again if travel to Manchester in future. Eat at the French Restuarant which was a nice change

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thegilstonlove

Dear Thegilstonlove,

It's fantastic to read how handy the hotel's location was for your trip to the city and I will pass your compliments regarding the cleanliness of your room onto our housekeeping team.

I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your dining experience at The French by Simon Rogan and hope to welcome you back to the restaurant and The Midland very soon.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed for one night only to help in my birthday celebrations,
The room was lovely and very spacious with everything that you could need, we landed in Manchester a lot earlier than check-in but the lovely girls on reception checked us in early all staff were attentive but not in your face. The French was unfortunately fully booked but will be an ideal excuse for a return stay in the hotel!!

Dear Gemma B,

Thank you for taking the time to write about such a great experience at The Midland; it's wonderful to read that we were able to help in your birthday celebrations and accommodate your early arrival with an available room.

I'm confident you would love The French and I'm sure the team there will join me in hoping you have the opportunity to return and experience the fantastic dining experience on offer.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My wife and I wanted somewhere special for a romatic weekend break, we had often passed the Hotel and thought we would love to stay there, but felt it would be to expensive. We took advantage of QHotels offer of 20% off a stay. We ended up with a very nice room at a very reasonable price for Manchester on a weekend. The deal come with a continental breakfast, which was very good(plenty of variety). Drinks at the bar where expensive, but you kind of expect that from such an establishment. All in all a lovely stay.

Room Tip: look at the QHotel website for details of offers, or register to receive them.

Dear Mayfair0303,

Its fantastic to read how pleased you were with your room and that you felt the product here represented good value for money.

Thank you for sharing your experience - I hope to welcome you back for another romantic break soon!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Once you make your reservation there is not cancellation and they will not refund any funds at all or change dates!
My husband inadvertently booked the wrong dates for the Midland, a Q Hotel in Manchester, England They responded to us that they will not change the dates which has caused difficulty in our train travel and now we have to redo our entire itinerary. It was his mistake - unfortunately, but we called within 24 hours to try to correct it. We are in California and we booked online over the weekend, so the time zone was not a help and we did not get a message until after the weekend. This hotel, perhaps the Q chain as well, seems to handle reservations as remotely as possible. We have not been able to speak to a manager at the hotel, though we called. Now we are going to Manchester on earlier dates because of their inflexibility to allow us to change the reservation for a few days later. I resent the trend of hotels not allowing cancellations, though I understand that they do not like people booking and cancelling. However to cancel within 24 hours or even 2 days because of a weekend seems reasonable and hotels may take advantage of this by making money on cancellations. The rooms are expensive. I try to book hotels that do not have strict cancellation policies but my husband did not pay attention to the cancellation policy.

This is very important. Make sure before you book a room at Q hotels that you know your dates and will not need to cancel. It is very expensive otherwise. My best advice is to read cancellation policies and stay away from hotels that will not allow you to cancel after you book.

I resent the impersonal email response we got and wish the hotel to know that we now have difficulty in our travel arrangements. It is little to ask that they change the stay for the 2 nights we wanted. We did not ask to cancel completely but only to change dates. Very inflexible and I will not book a Q hotel again.

Susanne Campbell

4  Thank suzanochka

Dear suzanochka,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your experience with our central reservations team, I'm concerned to read how disappointed you were with the service you have received and I have relayed your disappointment to the management there.

We offer a range of rates, including pre-paid, in order to provide a great price for our guests and, while the pre-paid reservations are non-refundable, we can usually accommodate a change of dates subject to availability.

I would appreciate the opportunity to put this right for you - you can contact me directly on +44161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk