“Variable quality, friendly staff”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Wales
“Variable quality, friendly staff”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The quality of the accommodation at the Midland depends very much on the room that you are allocated to. The differences are in the extreme with the lower quality rooms being a huge disappointment. There seems to be a lack of investment in maintaining the accommodation with a number of maintenance issues apparent.

I stayed in a twin room on the 6th floor. I was told on check in that it was a twin double - i.e with two double beds. When I went into the room though it was two very small singles in room with the feeling of being in the attic. Although it was a very large room there was one small window overlooking the roof with poor lighting by the wardrobe (set outside the bedroom). The beds were uncomfortable and felt very cramped despite the size of the room. The Wifi wasn't working for the first two nights and when I reported it they asked if I had tried to reset the router.

The housekeeping was very poor with towels left on the bed and empty jugs of milk not being cleared away - at one point there were 3 empty jugs!

The air-conditioning wasn't working and when I reported this I was immediately moved and upgraded. The room I was upgraded to was very nice and much more traditional with a very comfortable bed and 3 windows.

The staff were delightful throughout my stay and couldn't have been more accommodating but the the variability in the rooms (feedback from my colleagues as well) would make me unlikely to stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the Mezzanine floor but generally the rooms are inconsistent. If you do have any problems repo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear nextgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience at the hotel with TripAdvisor. I’m sorry to read that the room you were originally allocated did not meet your expectations but I’m pleased that we were able to accommodate an upgraded room for you instead.

I will pass your compliments onto the whole team here for their delightful and accommodating service - I hope to welcome you back to The Midland soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here before but this time got a room on the mezzanine floor which means a window above head height and a small oddly shaped room. The bedrooms can be lovely but you never know what you will be allocated, there are no robes, slippers, shower caps, nor the small extras I appreciate at the nearby Radisson.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 391ClaireB
Dear 391ClaireB,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay; I’m sorry to read that your experience this time did not live up to your previous visits.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Manchester soon and restore The Midland as your hotel of choice.

flintshire
Reviewed 10 June 2014

A gourmet weekend in manchester staying at the Midland on Saturday night.Had Saturday lunch at lawn tennis club pop up bar in spinningfields.Tasting menu Saturday evening at Manchester house and bed at the Midland.Sunday lunch at mr coopers by Simon Rogan at the Midland,We all had the set roast lunch and it was tremendous.Great service and excellent food,beautifully cooked and lovely flavour.As for the hotel itself it was lovely .Nice largish room on the 6th floor.Huge comfy bed and immaculate modern bathroom.Free Wi Fi and a Smart TV.the hotel is in a very elegant building and the elegance continues throughout the hotel.There has been a real improvement in hotel staff in general in recent times and the Midland is no exception.The doorman was so friendly and welcoming and the concierge looking after our luggage equally so.All the staff were lovely and the night porter especially so after I managed to end up in the corridor at 5am after taking the wrong door to the bathroom.Should have gone straight to bed on returning to the hotel and not had those last 2 pints.Have stayed in half a dozen hotels in manchester but this has to be at the top of the list.Well done to all concerned.I have 2 minor criticisms.Parking at the nearest ncp car park is handy but very expensive and the air con in the room was pretty noisy but we turned it off so no problem.Loved the hotel and love Manchester.Sorry to say didn't get up in time for breakfast as it finishes at 10 30 on a Sunday which possibly is a little early.I understand they have to prepare for lunch service so perhaps they could leave the breakfast running later in the lobby bar

Room Tip: The top floor was nice and quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ritchieFlintshire
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear ritchieFlintshire,

It’s fantastic to read that you found our front of house team provided such a friendly and professional welcome to The Midland and that you were able to take advantage of our luggage storage facility with Concierge.

I’m sure the team at Mr. Cooper’s House & Garden will also be pleased to read how much you enjoyed Sunday lunch there during your gourmet weekend - I will pass your compliments and constructive comments regarding your room and the hotel in general onto all the staff here who I know oil join me in hoping to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel with TripAdvisor.

Portishead England
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Have just arrived home from Manchester and our stay at the Midland.
We arrived at The Midland at 1030pm on Saturday after a gruelling drive from Bristol ,we gave our name at Reception the receptionist checked his list went a little pale and went into the back office . He returned with a lady who introduced herself as Bernadette (we later found out she is the Front of House Manager)she explained that they were overbooked and unable to give a room that night , and she was trying to find us another hotel for for the night . To say we were not happy is an understatement but fourtunately Bernadette was so nice ( I know it's her job to be ) we felt unable to get angry with her . Anyway she took us to the bar organised drinks for us then went off to sort things out. We sat in the Bar grumbling about how this wasn't what we expected from the famous Midland Hotel. ( it's famous if you come from Manchester as I do ) Eventually Bernadette returned to say she'd got us into Jury's Hotel which was,nt the best news but then she gave us the
deal. Taxi to and from Jury's, two days free parking, a room upgrade ,,breakfast, (we had booked Room Only) and a bottle of wine in the room . We accepted although we were not terribly excited about about staying at Jury's , it was actually pretty good ( even with all the muddy kids coming back from Parklife ). After a good nights sleep and breakfast we returned to The Midland the receptionist explained that we could'nt checkin until later in the day ( a negative ) arranged to leave our bags with the Concierge and we went of for the day.
On our return we were greeted by the Head Concierge asking if we were alright,the Receptionist apologised for the night before , and then Bernadette came out and apologised once more . And so up to our Upgraded room WOW ! Amazing two Queen size beds, armchairs settee,lovely Bathroom , filter coffee a selection of teas and the promised bottle of wine on ice, and a very nice handwritten card from Bernadette apologising once more and thanking us for being so understanding. On going down for breakfast we gave the car key to the Concierge and asked for the car to be ready at the rear entrance at 10am not only was the car ready and waiting there was even a cold bottle of water in the cup holder.
So thanks to Bernadette and her team what could have been a Terrible review becomes a Very Good .

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Turniptop
Dear Turniptop,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about what could’ve been a poor experience and how the excellent customer service you received from Bernadetta and her team managed to ensure you enjoyed your trip to Manchester.

I have passed your compliments onto all of the staff here, and particularly Bernadetta – I hope we can welcome you back to The Midland very soon.

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My partner and I decided to stay over in Manchester on Sat 24th May and he organised for us to stay at The Midland, when we arrived we were greeted by a lovely guy called Adam who was a porter he was very helpful, he showed us to our room and was telling us useful information about the hotel like where the restaurants and bars are situated. When we went into our room we were more than impressed, all the fixtures and fittings were modern and it was very spacious. We liked that each room had its own Wifi connection. When we were going out for the evening into Manchester we asked Adam who was again full of information and knowledge on the best places to go. We both really enjoyed our stay and we would defiantly recommend it. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola796
It’s so kind of you to share such an excellent experience at the hotel with other travellers on TripAdvisor – it’s wonderful to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I have passed all of your compliments onto Adam for his wonderful service throughout your stay.

I’m sure he will join me in hoping to welcome you back to The Midland very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderfully spacious, comfortable and well-equipped room on the top floor. The staff were outstandingly friendly and helpful. We particularly enjoyed our afternoon tea and spending time in the octagon lounge listening to the pianist. All the food we had was of a very high standard. The public areas are particularly lovely and help to make a very atmospheric stay. The hotel is also very well-placed for all the local attractions, very central, but our room was quiet at night and the bed very comfortable. There were a couple of minor maintenance issues which were dealt with immediately and with no fuss. We hope we will be able to return again soon!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lesley M
Dear Lesley M,

Your kind comments regarding the fantastic service and product you experienced during your recent visit to The Midland are much appreciated. I will pass your compliments onto our team on the Octagon Lounge and in the Kitchen particularly for the excellent Afternoon Tea you enjoyed.

I’m pleased to read that you found the hotel to be well placed for your trip to the city and that we managed to rectify any small issues you had to your satisfaction. I hope you welcome you back on a future visit to Manchester.

Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We booked into the Midland to celebrate a family wedding, our room was large and comfortable.
The reception areas traditional but very well maintained.
The waiting staff were very courteous and helpful in an easy friendly manner.

The wedding itself was fault less, the meal served to over 100 guests was well cooked and nicely presented.

We had a pleasant quiet stay, using the swimming pool which to be fair does need some updating.
Otherwise I would recommend this hotel for a city break, the architecture of the building is superb internally reminiscent of a by gone age of elegance.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mermaid0303
Dear mermaid0303,

I’m pleased to read how much you enjoyed your recent visit to The Midland to celebrate a family wedding. I will share your feedback with all of the staff here, particularly the Events and Kitchen teams for the well cooked food and courteous service you enjoyed during the wedding itself.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel on a future trip to Manchester. Thank you for your recommendation to the TripAdvisor community.