The Midland
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$181
US$160
  • Restaurant
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$82
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$98
  • Room Service
US$120
US$111
5,417 results
All reviewsmr coopersafternoon teaq hotelsoctagon loungebeautiful hotelsuperior roomfantastic staymini barreception areacentral manchestersaturday nightlovely roomcooked breakfastcity centrestayed for one nightmember of staffmidlands
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel is first class I stayed for 4 days, the staff are friendly the service is excellent and I would recommend to my friends and family.it has a family welcome and has traditional values the only negative is the hot breakfast was warm only

Room Tip: There was street noise
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lyn G
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Lyn G,

I’m pleased to read how much you enjoyed your recent four night stay at The Midland and how impressed you were with the excellent service and warm welcome our friendly team was able to deliver.

I hope to have the opportunity to see you back at the hotel soon, thank you for taking the time to share such an excellent experience.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Midland is an amazing place with beautiful decor right in the centre of town facing the newly refurbished Central Library and will not fail to impress any visitor. We stayed overnight as a little treat and were still very impressed even though our expectations were high knowing its repution. The staff were brilliant and attentive. The only shortfall was I'd placed a small case on top of the wardrobe and was covered in dust as we packed to leave!! Luckily we were on our way home but had we been going to an event it would have been a disaster. The restaurant is another story and will receive a separate review but suffice to say I won't pay £3.50 for a slice of bread and warm wine and be asked for service charge!! But The Midland is lovely.

Room Tip: View of the Library would be amazing.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank officerpickles

Dear officerpickles,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay at The Midland, I’m pleased to read that we lived up to your high expectations and that you found the hotel team to be brilliant and attentive.

I’m sorry to read that you were disappointed by other aspects of your stay and I have already shared your thoughts with the relevant staff. If you would be able to contact me directly on 0161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk I would appreciate the opportunity to put this right for you - I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights - Friday and Saturday. We arrived early morning and although it was too soon to check in we were able to leave our bags until we returned later in the day. The hotel itself has a very grand feel to when you go in. We didn't eat or drink in the hotel. Our room was very nice, it was clean and had plenty of storage space. We also had complimentary bottles of water and there were wine glasses in the room. This was handy as we had brought our own wine from one of the local shops. The hotel is situated in a great location with easy access to Piccadilly and Manchester centre. I would love to stay here again!

2  Thank HolidayCaz

Dear HolidayCaz,

It’s fantastic to read that your first impressions of The Midland were very grand and that your room and the rest of the hotel lived up to this.

I’m pleased that our location suited your trip to Manchester and hope we can welcome you back very soon - Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I choose this hotel to propose to my long term girlfriend in June 2014. We had lunch at The French and I proposed during a 10 course taster meal with wine pairings. The food was simply incredible, the service was kind, friendly and perfectly timed. We were treated like royalty by the kind staff who took photos of us and really made the effort to talk to us. They couldn't do any more for us, I was really touched by their genuine care and attention and their focus on quality.

I have to say that same level of care and attention to detail and quality extends throughout the hotel - it really feels like a living and breathing entity, with such wonderful history and a sense that staff are family. As a guest you feel like you are part of something special.

The room was large, comfortable and tastefully decorated. The bed was extremely comfortable. Yes, there are the distant sounds of the metro tram network, but never does it become obtrusive or distract from your stay. In fact, it becomes rather charming, reminding you of the great city you are visiting and it's nuances.

Breakfast was enjoyed as continental, although a cooked breakfast could also be purchased. We enjoyed lovely homemade yogurts, cold meats, cheeses, pastries, juices and cereals. The setting was wonderful - a charming garden room where staff, once again, were considerate, warm and effective.

A special note about Barbara who worked to provide tourist information. We found her to be such a kind and knowledgeable lady who took the time and effort to point out a series of landmarks to myself and my fiancée outside the hotel! An absolute credit to The Midland and someone who genuinely cares about the work they do.

Overall I would not hesitate to visit again - we are already planning our return! If you like a hotel that has substance, a hotel with a restaurant that really deserves high praise indeed, rooms that are comfortable and where staff make you feel welcome and valued, I would whole heatedly recommend that you consider this gem in the city of Manchester.

Room Tip: We stayed in a superior corner room overlooking the City on the 4th floor.
2  Thank ANeill81

Dear ANeill81,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comprehensive review of such an excellent experience at the hotel.

It’s wonderful to read how much you enjoyed the whole experience and particularly your ten course menu and wine flight at The French - I will be sure to share your thanks with the restaurant team as well as all of the staff here for their attention to detail and the quality of service you experienced.

I will also be pleased to pass on your comments to Barbara who I know will be extremely pleased you found her knowledge so useful.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Midland on a return visit and thank you again for helping other travellers to make an informed decision when looking for accommodation in Manchester.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Just stayed at The Midland Hotel in Manchester last weekend. Fantastic old building. Large open foyer on entrance with bar area just up a few steps up off the foyer. The rooms are excellent - with all the amenities that you need. We were on the top floor so had some good views over Manchester - although overlooking the tram stop so could hear the trams chimes quite often. The bed was large and very comfortable - didn't seem very long though as my feet were hanging off the end. Breakfast in the morning was also excellent - great choice of either continental or full english or both.. Good quality food but you do pay for it - £20 each! Staff all very friendly & helpful although adding a tip on your bill at checkout is a bit cheeky. Walking distance to several good pubs and restaurants and also close to a few NCP car parks. Would recommend and go back if visiting Manchester.

3  Thank Stephen W

Dear Stephen W,

Your fantastic comments regarding the hotel’s friendly and helpful staff, our well equipped rooms and enjoyable breakfast are much appreciated and I will be sure to share your feedback with the team here.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Midland very soon – thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor.