“Last minute deal”

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
“Last minute deal”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Friendly and very professional staff made a last minute stay superb, recommend to everyone. Great location both on foot or public transport. Room was very clean but quite small ( but twice the size of our Pariian hotel the week before). Service and friendliness of staff far more important to me than hotel features.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ree M
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Ree M,

It’s wonderful to read how much you enjoyed your last minute visit to Manchester and The Midland; I will share your feedback with all of the staff here especially regarding the friendly and professional service you felt made the experience for you.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel on a future trip to the city, thank you for your recommendation to the TripAdvisor community.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Spalding, lincolnshire
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I am surprised at some of the negative reviews of The Midland as I was impressed from the outset during our two night stay there. We got a great deal on the internet, direct with the hotel, for bed and breakfast. The room itself was extremely spacious, well equipped and very clean, the continental breakfast was more than sufficient and gave a good choice.
The bonus positives were (1) the interior of the hotel, particularly the huge lobby, were impressive and spotless (2) the polite and helpful attitude of every single member of staff that we encountered.
It is a nice change to see a grand old building that is well kept and actually looks like it has money spent on it (rather than decaying) and to encounter staff who clearly receive good training from the owners. Take the trouble to take the stairs from the upper floors to reception, to take in the marble walled staircase that is now somewhat hidden away due to health & safety measures to enclose it from the corridors, a member of staff informed us that the hallways and staircase were built wide to give room for ball gowns, in days gone by.
Well done to all at the hotel, we were impressed enough to make complementary comments to reception prior to departing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Colin90
Dear Colin90,

I’m pleased to read how impressed you were with the upkeep of the hotel in general; it’s wonderful that you feel we have done well in maintaining the fantastic building we have here.

I will share your feedback with the whole team here particularly your compliments regarding the polite and friendly attitude of all the staff you encountered.

I hope to have the opportunity to see you back at the hotel soon, thank you for taking the time to share such an excellent experience.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed overnight at this little piece of luxurious heaven. Staff were fantastic and friendly - very professional, the service and food were beautiful, I could not fault the experience, it is in the heart of Manchester, close to ameneties. if you ever go to Manchester, please do book yourself in and indulge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Avril D
Dear Avril D,

It’s so kind of you to share your excellent experience at The Midland with other travellers on TripAdvisor – it’s wonderful to read how much you enjoyed your recent stay and particularly the luxurious nature of the hotel.

I’m pleased that you were impressed with the fantastic, friendly and professional service you received from the team here - I’m sure they’ll all join me in hoping to welcome you back to The Midland very soon.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Actually staying at The Midland tonight 2/7/14 ,and we are so excited.My husband has booked this hotel stay n Robbie tickets, after returning home on Monday from serving months in Afganistan.He lovingly thought we'd earnt a treat.The 5 stars already is because i am so happy to have my hubby home n having a night away with him,fingers crossed that The Midland look after us n the stay is everything we are hoping it to be.Will write a proper review when we return and see if was indeed a 5 star review experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharonlouise12
Dear hediez,

Thank you for your review, I hope you did enjoy your visit to The Midland and a well deserved break for your husband.

I hope to welcome you back to The Midland soon - thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with TripAdvisor.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

As Q card holder I’ve stayed at many of the hotels within the chain, but never experienced such a poor service as at The Midland.
On arrival we were advised breakfast times and that a continental breakfast was included. I queried this as was confident I had full breakfast included with my booking, but was re-assured this is what we had booked, although we could upgrade for £ 8.00 each.
We had a suite which was great, very spacious and nice, although I noticed ‘The Tray’ as advertised was not in the room. On our way out in to the city centre, I double checked why the tray was not included and was told “ you’re on the summer deal” so we don’t include it. I also challenged the breakfast again as I had since checked my confirmation email, again I was told it was only continental, but could pay £ 10pp to upgrade! So within 45 mins i was given two different prices for the same breakfast ? No consistency and I was rather unhappy. I did not make a great fuss as this was a surprise for my friend who I had not seen in ages and we had a full weekend planned.
When it came to breakfast on the Sunday morning, whilst one expects it to be busy we waited over 20mins for a table. However, this was not due to the volume of people taking breakfast at that time as we could see numerous empty, but dirty tables within the dining area. On walking into the area it was chaos, tables uncleared, the bar area piled up with dishes (see photo’s), staff standing about doing nothing and others running around like headless chickens. A lady on the table next to us commented on the state of the breakfast set up and was told all the students had left so they had no staff! There was no bread for toast or rolls and when asked for some, we were told there was non left, this was at 9:45, breakfast served until 10:30. We had to ask for milk and orange juice as the jugs/dispensers were empty. My friend gave up waiting as no one returend with refills. The table to the left of us was piled with dirty dishes at the point we were seated for breakfast and this still had not been cleared by the time we left.
We went out for the day and on returning at 3pm our room had not been serviced, despite leaving the "please service our room" request on the door. The floor manager saw my friend when she went to get ice and said he had noticed our sign on the door and had asked someone to come and service the room and that they would be there in 20 minutes. This was not acceptable to us as we needed to get ready for an event and so my friend advised that it would need to be after we left arount 430pm. We were advised this would be done but 15 minutes later housekeeping appeared at the door to clean the room. We told them it was not convenient and to come back later. By the time we returned to the hotel later that night, the room had been serviced, however, as you can see from the pictures the dressing gowns were left in a heap on the floor.
Breakfast on Monday was no better, albeit much quieter. The two tables next to us and ourselves had to request coffee twice. We dared ask if there was any banana’s… I well let you draw your own conclusions…
At check out, i was asked if everything had been ok with my stay. I advised the receptionist that there had been a number of issues (as detailed above). Once again i was advised that my booking was the "summer deal" and this did not include full breakfast or "The Tray". I have since returned home and looked at the hotel website to see exactly what guests should receive with the "Summer deal". The hotels own website states "
A full English/Scottish breakfast each morning offering an extensive choice"
not to mention guests should receive Exclusive vouchers worth up to £100 when you book direct with QHotels. Needless to say these are yet to make an appearance!

Whilst the room was great, the service was appalling with staff clearly not knowing process, procedures or general customer service. Next time I will be sticking with the Radisson next door.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Adam S
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Adam S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay at The Midland, I’m pleased to read that you liked your Twin Bedroom Junior Suite

I’m sorry to read that you were disappointed by other aspects of your stay and I have already shared your thoughts with the relevant teams who I know will make every effort to improve where necessary.

If you would be able to contact me directly on 0161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk I would appreciate the opportunity to gain further details of your experience - I hope to hear from you soon.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at the Midland Hotel last night and the whole stay was exceptional. We were a party of four ladies over in manchester to see Robbie Williams and had not stayed at the midland before. When we checked in one of our twin rooms was not ready, so we were taken into the lounge and given free drinks and nibbles. The lounge area on a Sunday afternoon was brilliant with a lovely gentleman playing on the piano. All of us later had pre-concert cocktails in the same lounge.

On checking out this morning we were asked if we needed a taxi and given maps of manchester by a lovely Australian gentleman called Mark who couldn't do enough for us. All the staff are wonderful and we all said we will be definately be returning to this cracking hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank 186346Jane
Dear 186346Jane,

Your fantastic comments regarding the exceptional stay you enjoyed at The Midland and particularly Mark’s helpful nature are much appreciated and I have already shared your feedback with him and the whole team here.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on a return visit and thank you for helping other travellers to make an informed decision when looking for accommodation in Manchester.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We booked at the last minute but hand wanted to stay for a while. the location is great in central manchester. Near tram stop to Piccadilly. Hotel is old and large and has been refurbished a while ago. Be careful choosing rooms. This seems to be the greatest problem. We asked for a quiet room and the staff did their best to find us one. It was a bit small but was quiet. Our room was ok but had too much ill conceived furniture. a flight case minibar, and separate flight cased tea/coffee thing? Bed was ok but short. I am six two and feet stuck out. However sleep was fine. We paid for breakfast but didn't realise £30 for two meant croissants and cereal only. I complained and we were given full English but even at the price we paid I thought it was poor value. However it is one of the better places to stay. It has great character and history and the staff were all really nice and helpful. We will stay again but without breakfast...

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking reception on the inside can be quiet, check what is happening in the hotel as even...