“Beautiful building”

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
“Beautiful building”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Midland for one night as we were meeting friends in Manchester.
The building itself is beautiful and the interior has an old school type of opulence that class establishments have.
Our room ( superior ) was more like a suite. Very large bedroom with an extremely comfortable bed, a sitting area complete with sofa and also a vanity table. The bathroom was a decent size with a shower over the bath. Everything in the room was spotless and in lovely condition.
The hotel does not have parking but there is a NCP car park nearby. Be aware it is £18 to park over night.
So why only 4 stars?? Just a couple of niggles.
The carpet in the hallway of our floor (5) was past it's best and looking in need of replacement.
The air con was very loud as was the fridge, light sleepers may need ear plugs.
Finally the gent who checked us in was verging on over efficient! He noticed my husbands email address was on the system already and quizzed him about where he had stayed before. He asked where we were going that night and our reply of 'just round the corner' was met with great enthusiasm!
Minor things but worth a mention.
Overall a very pleasant experience which I would happily repeat again.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Emma W
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Emma W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Midland with the TripAdvisor community. I’m so pleased to read how impressed you were with the space on offer in your Superior King Guestroom and how well everything in the room had been cleaned and maintained.

I have passed you constructive comments onto the relevant teams for review – guest feedback is invaluable to the continuous improvement we endeavour to achieve and I’m confident our management team will implement changes where possible.

It’s wonderful to read that you would happily return to the hotel again and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Mount pleasant
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just stayed here for work and the rooms have been redone since I was there last. Very nice and comfortable with high ceilings, room darkening curtains, coffee service and a minibar. Lots of restaurants and bars nearby and close to the shopping street and historic pubs. One of the most comfortable hotels I've stayed in, in all of Europe. Enjoy!!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Fltchick
Dear Fltchick,

Your kind comments regarding your recent trip to the hotel are very much appreciated, I’m pleased to read how much you liked the changes QHotels have made since your last visit.

It’s also great to read how well The Midland’s central location suited your trip to Manchester – I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

King regards,

London
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed with friends and we had interconnecting rooms with our two children. The hotel is a traditional building and really lovely inside - a real fun treat. The rooms are what you would expect although the windows could do with a bit of an overhaul. The interconnecting things was great as there was no noise between them.
The beds are seriously comfy - have a glass of champagne and enjoy!
The hairdressers and treatment rooms need a serious look at - bringing up to date but when we nipped in there they were full so there you go.
Late night drinks in the bar was nice as the space is enormous and great to chill out after your evening out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Janine058
Dear Janine058,

It’s wonderful to read how impressed you were with your stay at The Midland and how useful you found our interconnecting rooms to accommodate you and your family.

Joseph Elliot Hair & Beauty is a separate company from QHotels and simply operate the space within the hotel; however I’ll be sure to pass your feedback on for their consideration.

Our beds certainly do make for a relaxing night’s sleep (even more so with a glass of champagne, as you so rightly suggest!) and I’m pleased you found the Octagon Lounge a pleasant space for post-dinner drinks.

I have already shared your compliments with the whole team here and I’m sure they’ll join me in hoping to welcome you back soon.

Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have visited this hotel frequently for many years but we will be looking to stay else where next time.

The hotel is beautiful but we feel the customer service standards are slipping and the new breakfast set up is a real let down.

When we checked in around 9.30 in the evening we were ready for a drink and were looking forward to the bottle of prosecco and strawberries in the room that came with the deal we booked through Q hotels own website.

We mentioned this as we were checking in and the receptionist said it was noted on our room information.

We didn't get the bottle of prosecco until the following day after rather embarrassingly we had to go back to reception to ask for it. As for the strawberries, we were given a voucher so we could ask for them at the bar. Seemed odd. We were under the impression this would all be either in our room when we checked in or brought to us soon after ariving. If this isnt how it works the receptionist should have explained.

Because we were so thirsty and there was no bottle of fizz in our room we headed to the bar. It was very quiet and the waitress greeted us as we sat down. 20 minutes passed and we still hadn't ordered our drinks, so after failing to catch anyones eye I went up to the bar to ask for drinks. Finally after 30 minutes we got a drink!! Thought it was rather cheeky that a service charge was added to our bill.

We got continental breakfast with the deal we booked (for same price as what the full english used to be!) and the breakfast was very basic and boring. The breakfasts used to be excellant at the midland and we really missed not having a cooked breakfast but on principle we did not want to pay extra for what used to be included.

The breakfast staff at the wyvern were very friendly, polite and quick to serve tea and coffee.

Sorry to be so negative, but it seems a shame that the changes this hotel are making don't seem to be for the benefit of the customers staying at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Bluemountain69,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay at The Midland with TripAdvisor, I was most concerned to read of your disappointment and have already passed your comments onto the relevant managers for review.

I will also pass your compliments onto the breakfast team in the Wyvern room who serviced you so well at breakfast.

I hope you will reconsider your decision to return to the hotel on a future trip to Manchester, if you decide to do so please don’t hesitate to contact me at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk so that I can arrange your stay personally.

I hope to see you again very soon.

Cumbria
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I booked the Midland as a result of recommendations and the fact that I wanted to stay where my grandfather had stayed on business many many years ago. I was really looking forward to the stay but was disappointed and felt that the hotel did not meet my expectations. We parked in the Central car park as recommend by the hotel when I phoned - do not attempt this if you have a normal sized car as the spaces are totally inadequate. I drive a Freelander and parked it with the driver's side against a wall and the other side on the white lines, meaning that I had to exit on the passenger side as there wasn't enough room to exit on the driver's side. When we returned to the car the next day we couldn't get in that way as another car had blocked that side. My son managed to squeeze into the back, climb through to the front and drive the car forward so we could load - nightmare!
Back to the hotel - on exiting the car park the signage was inadequate and we worked our way to the hotel front door. No one greeted us, we worked out which was the reception desk, whereupon the very pleasant lady tried to tell me that I hadn't paid for one of the two rooms I had booked. I politely stood my ground and she eventually found my payment.
Our rooms were adequately furnished but tired, with marked carpets and a stool at the foot of the bed that was particularly badly marked - I wouldn't have put anything on it or sat on it. The bathroom toiletries were basic - no shower cap etc. There were no dressing gowns or slippers.
I went out to meet friends and returned at approximately 11pm - to find a bunch of people outside the hotel. I entered to be told that I had to produce a room key - no welcome or greeting. In all the hotels I have stayed in I have never met a doorman that cannot tell a genuine guest such as myself.
The following morning we had the continental breakfast which was reasonable with good quality, limited choice of food. The staff were more interested in chatting than focussing on the guests.
When we checked out there was a queue and a member of staff asked if we had anything to pay, which we hadn't, so we were told to put our keys in a box. We then left with no one even noticing us or asking if we had enjoyed our stay or saying good bye. On returning to our car we found it was raining and a convention with queues everywhere so we couldn't find our way into the car park. Eventually two security men helped us with the comment that 'it was only once a year"- not much use to us. No one at the hotel had warned us. I was soaked by this stage and pretty fed up.
Q hotels sent an online questionnaire - I responded but they have not bothered to contact me.
To sum up I feel disappointed and also think that the Midland should visit some good quality hotels to see how they can improve what they offer - particularly how to treat guests.

Room Tip: Don't bother - find another hotel such as the Victoria and Albert Mariott.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BobbieEmily
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear BobbieEmily

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland, I am sorry to read how disappointed you were with your experience at the hotel.

I did send you an e-mail directly after receiving your post-stay survey and would therefore ask that if you have not received my e-mail or would like to discuss your stay further that you contact me directly on tsmith@qhotels.co.uk.

Once again, thank you for providing your feedback - I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Midland in the future.

Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My very enjoyable stay at The Midland last week-end has prompted me to book another week-end break again at this hotel in September. On arrival, the hotel lobby and reception area is very much in the realms of a 5 star establishment, and the rooms and leisure centre did not disappoint at all! My room was spotlessly clean, well proportioned room, with air conditioning and a good range of extras supplied in my room.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for a stay whilst you are visiting Manchester. It was very central - just a short walk from the Manchester Piccadilly station, and we came up for the Coronation Street tour which was about an 8 minute walk away from the hotel. The lounge areas of the hotel were also very well furnished and decorated. A great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank EvansMoe
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear EvansMoe,

Thank you for taking the time to write up such an enjoyable stay at The Midland on TripAdvisor, and for your direct letter to our General Manager, which was very kind.

I have shared both your letter and your review with our team, particularly our housekeeping department who will be so pleased by your compliments regarding your guest room.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

troon
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I can endorse the previous reviews of it being a big grand hotel, yes it is that. As a 4 star hotel it is very good and if I stay in Manchester again I would come back, no complaints whatsoever, with the added bonus of the French.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ayrshire_voyager
Dear ayrshire_voyager,

I’m pleased to read how impressed you were with your experience at The Midland, particularly The French by Simon Rogan.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on a future visit to Manchester.