“WHY GO ANYWHERE ELSE?”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Nothing to report: everything was perfect especially because it was mid week and the hotel was almost empty. No parties, no drunk people and no noise. We only met Derek Jacobi in the lift. I am ruthless and highly critical if things are not right. I can safely say that The Midland is the best hotel in Manchester.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FandangoEspanol
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear FandangoEspanol,

It’s wonderful to read how impressed you were again on another return visit to The Midland.

To be described as the best hotel in Manchester is praise indeed and I’m sure your compliments will aid our team in living up to this high benchmark.

I look forward to welcome you back to The Midland again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Midland

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Classy and clean , rooms were not very big but they were nice . Very quiet and very convenient location .
The only thing I disliked was breakfast but we were in a group and put in a room together separated from the rest, so maybe the offer was different too.

Mar.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank MARSITA9

Dear MARISTA9,

Your fantastic comments regarding your recent visit to The Midland are much appreciated.

I’m sorry to read you were disappointed that the breakfast you experienced did not meet your expectations. We do often arrange private breakfasts for groups staying in the hotel and the menu is confirmed with the group organiser of these occasions.

I hope we can welcome you back to Manchester very soon, thank you for sharing your constructive feedback.

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

This is my second visit to The Midland; a complimentary stay due to the poor experience last time.
This time, to be positive, the staff were much better, however, they are missing the little touches that make a hotel a superior hotel rather than a basic hotel. The doorman was non existent on arrival, and on departure just watched as we struggled past with our cases.
The room was no more than OK, a cracked window and a broken Smart TV, not luxurious by any stretch of the imagination. The room was tired looking and in serious need of updating. We went down to the bar area to sit and have a snack, but with so many tables reserved it was a struggle to find a seat! The overwhelming impression is that residents come second to non-residents. Money has been spent downstairs on the restaurants, with priority service for those visiting The French; however, it's the bedrooms that need investment.
Breakfast was pleasant, but a poor choice for children.
We'd been promised a stay that would show us what The Midland had to offer, unfortunately it's not to the standard I'm used to when staying in a hotel, it seems to be living off former glory. Will stay in The Lowry next time.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank roe184

Dear roe184,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your return visit to The Midland - I’m sorry to read that the hotel didn’t live up to your expectations and that we weren’t able to improve your opinion on this occasion.

I will certainly share your feedback with the relevant teams which I’m sure will aid them in the continuous improvement we aim for here.

I do hope you might reconsider The Midland on a future trip to Manchester.

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Midland for one night as we were meeting friends in Manchester.
The building itself is beautiful and the interior has an old school type of opulence that class establishments have.
Our room ( superior ) was more like a suite. Very large bedroom with an extremely comfortable bed, a sitting area complete with sofa and also a vanity table. The bathroom was a decent size with a shower over the bath. Everything in the room was spotless and in lovely condition.
The hotel does not have parking but there is a NCP car park nearby. Be aware it is £18 to park over night.
So why only 4 stars?? Just a couple of niggles.
The carpet in the hallway of our floor (5) was past it's best and looking in need of replacement.
The air con was very loud as was the fridge, light sleepers may need ear plugs.
Finally the gent who checked us in was verging on over efficient! He noticed my husbands email address was on the system already and quizzed him about where he had stayed before. He asked where we were going that night and our reply of 'just round the corner' was met with great enthusiasm!
Minor things but worth a mention.
Overall a very pleasant experience which I would happily repeat again.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Emma W
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Emma W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Midland with the TripAdvisor community. I’m so pleased to read how impressed you were with the space on offer in your Superior King Guestroom and how well everything in the room had been cleaned and maintained.

I have passed you constructive comments onto the relevant teams for review – guest feedback is invaluable to the continuous improvement we endeavour to achieve and I’m confident our management team will implement changes where possible.

It’s wonderful to read that you would happily return to the hotel again and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just stayed here for work and the rooms have been redone since I was there last. Very nice and comfortable with high ceilings, room darkening curtains, coffee service and a minibar. Lots of restaurants and bars nearby and close to the shopping street and historic pubs. One of the most comfortable hotels I've stayed in, in all of Europe. Enjoy!!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Fltchick

Dear Fltchick,

Your kind comments regarding your recent trip to the hotel are very much appreciated, I’m pleased to read how much you liked the changes QHotels have made since your last visit.

It’s also great to read how well The Midland’s central location suited your trip to Manchester – I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

King regards,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed with friends and we had interconnecting rooms with our two children. The hotel is a traditional building and really lovely inside - a real fun treat. The rooms are what you would expect although the windows could do with a bit of an overhaul. The interconnecting things was great as there was no noise between them.
The beds are seriously comfy - have a glass of champagne and enjoy!
The hairdressers and treatment rooms need a serious look at - bringing up to date but when we nipped in there they were full so there you go.
Late night drinks in the bar was nice as the space is enormous and great to chill out after your evening out.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Janine058

Dear Janine058,

It’s wonderful to read how impressed you were with your stay at The Midland and how useful you found our interconnecting rooms to accommodate you and your family.

Joseph Elliot Hair & Beauty is a separate company from QHotels and simply operate the space within the hotel; however I’ll be sure to pass your feedback on for their consideration.

Our beds certainly do make for a relaxing night’s sleep (even more so with a glass of champagne, as you so rightly suggest!) and I’m pleased you found the Octagon Lounge a pleasant space for post-dinner drinks.

I have already shared your compliments with the whole team here and I’m sure they’ll join me in hoping to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have visited this hotel frequently for many years but we will be looking to stay else where next time.

The hotel is beautiful but we feel the customer service standards are slipping and the new breakfast set up is a real let down.

When we checked in around 9.30 in the evening we were ready for a drink and were looking forward to the bottle of prosecco and strawberries in the room that came with the deal we booked through Q hotels own website.

We mentioned this as we were checking in and the receptionist said it was noted on our room information.

We didn't get the bottle of prosecco until the following day after rather embarrassingly we had to go back to reception to ask for it. As for the strawberries, we were given a voucher so we could ask for them at the bar. Seemed odd. We were under the impression this would all be either in our room when we checked in or brought to us soon after ariving. If this isnt how it works the receptionist should have explained.

Because we were so thirsty and there was no bottle of fizz in our room we headed to the bar. It was very quiet and the waitress greeted us as we sat down. 20 minutes passed and we still hadn't ordered our drinks, so after failing to catch anyones eye I went up to the bar to ask for drinks. Finally after 30 minutes we got a drink!! Thought it was rather cheeky that a service charge was added to our bill.

We got continental breakfast with the deal we booked (for same price as what the full english used to be!) and the breakfast was very basic and boring. The breakfasts used to be excellant at the midland and we really missed not having a cooked breakfast but on principle we did not want to pay extra for what used to be included.

The breakfast staff at the wyvern were very friendly, polite and quick to serve tea and coffee.

Sorry to be so negative, but it seems a shame that the changes this hotel are making don't seem to be for the benefit of the customers staying at the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Bluemountain69,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay at The Midland with TripAdvisor, I was most concerned to read of your disappointment and have already passed your comments onto the relevant managers for review.

I will also pass your compliments onto the breakfast team in the Wyvern room who serviced you so well at breakfast.

I hope you will reconsider your decision to return to the hotel on a future trip to Manchester, if you decide to do so please don’t hesitate to contact me at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk so that I can arrange your stay personally.

I hope to see you again very soon.