“Watch their drinks prices!”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Market Bosworth, United Kingdom
“Watch their drinks prices!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights and would not really rush back if I am honest.

My room although it had everything you needed was really small with huge high windows that you could not open to get fresh air and the air con did not want to cool the room down much.

The bed was comfortable though and nice pillows.

Ordered room service the first night a burger that was around £14, a large bottle of still water and a large glass of Chardonnay. I about had a heart attack when I saw the bill, £11 for a glass of wine! There is no wine list in the room and it felt like they are capitalising on business guests on expense accounts.

The burger was too well cooked and the chips were cold and soggy, not at all recommended. The menu was very limited and disappointing.

Had a drink in the bar with colleagues the following night and other wines about £7 a glass, chardonnay £11 again.

Hotel has a certain old charm about it but really silly prices!

Parking at the nearby NCP was over £18 a night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Emma_N68,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with TripAdvisor. I’m sorry to read that you were disappointed with the prices at the hotel – I can assure you these prices are standard across similar establishments in the city.

I will pass your compliments to our housekeeping team regarding the bed which you found so comfortable, however I am concerned to see that you scored the hotel poorly on Location, Cleanliness and Service – elements of your experience which are not described in your review – I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay further if you might be able to contact me at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk.

I hope to hear from you very soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 1 August 2014

An impressive hotel. Good position in centre of the city.
Check in was relatively easy. Friendly welcome.
The room was a good size and well appointed. The bed and bedding were especially good.
The bathroom was spacious and of good quality. The shower was very powerful and the water hot.
The towels were thick, soft and plentiful.

Breakfast however was a great disappointment . It was served from 6am which was a plus. It was the most uninteresting breakfast I have ever experienced in a hotel . Everything was laid out under white napkins. It was impossible to see what was on display and the staff made no attempt to assist. Removing the napkins revealed very merge offerings. A few rolls, a few slices of cold meat/ fish and some fruit. Not a good display of Northern hospitality.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Nigel P,

It’s fantastic to read how impressed you were with your experience in general, particularly your guest room and the excellent facilities provided – I will be sure to convey your compliments to our Housekeeping team who I know will be thrilled that you were so pleased.

I’m sorry to read that you were disappointed by your breakfast, however, and I will be sure to also pass your constructive feedback onto the relevant departments for review.

I hope to welcome you back to The Midland very soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights taking advantage of the hotels summer deal which included an upgraded room and continental breakfast.

We parked in nearby NCP car park which is only a few hundred meters from the hotel.

Our checkin was fine and the staff helpful, although the following morning we had to return to the reception to change of key cards as we had not been given the correct colour, the colour indicating what (if any) breakfast you are entitled to.

The breakfast room is very pleasant and there is lots of choice for the continental breakfast, all of which was fresh, plentiful and well presented.

During our stay we used the pool and gym, and whilst both are small and a little dated, they were sufficient for a quick workout, the pool relaxing and the staff helpful.

The room was large, modern and clean, but missing a bit of character.

The WiFi connection was poor and we were constantly having to reconnect.

Unfortunately our sleep was disturbed throughout both nights by the outside noise, the windows in our room (room 238) would not close firmly and because the windows are many years old they stop very little of the noise from the street below.

This is a point raised in a number of reviews and something the hotel clearly needs to address.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear J111MPW,

Your constructive feedback is much appreciated and I will certainly pass your comments onto the relevant teams in order for them to make improvements where possible.

I’m sorry to read that you were disturbed during your stay with us – we do have internal rooms which are a great option for those guests not used to staying in a bustling city like Manchester. I hope you might be able to return to The Midland and experience one of these very soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I went to England last week and visited Manchester for a day with my guy. We went for afternoon tea, which had been recommended to us by concierge Dan (make sure you find him when you're there, he can tell you about very nice places to go in the city, very helpful!). The afternoon tea was great, we really enjoyed the food (sandwiches, scones, a very nice selection of cakes, etc!) in a luxurious and romantic atmosphere. Ater that we went to the bar, where Keith made us a nice drink and we made some jokes. I definitely recommend going for tea and stopping by the bar, had a great time!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank ClairevSoest
Dear ClairevSoest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to The Midland. It’s wonderful to read how pleased you were with Dan’s recommendation and I will certainly ensure he and Keith are aware of your kind comments regarding their friendly and knowledgeable service.

I’m sure they’ll join me in hoping to welcome you back to Manchester soon.

Blackburn
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I have always wanted to stay at the midland so I booked it for my husbands birthday.
I was very disappointed with our stay. The check in was good but our room was average and we had no view just the back of the hotel.
We went to have drinks in the bar before going out for the evening and half of it was reserved and the rest was full so we didn't bother.
We went back for a night cap after and the bar person said to sit down and he would bring them over then charged us 1.99 on our bill.
The continental breakfast was average I have had better with a cooked breakfast in a cheaper hotel in Manchester.
I suppose we were paying for the ambience of staying at the Midland but wont be staying again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear tyroneBlackburn,

We take our guests’ feedback very seriously so please allow me to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts since your recent stay. I’m sorry to read that you were disappointed by your experience at the hotel.

The hotel’s Octagon Lounge is a very popular place for locals and guests alike to gather and enjoy a relaxed drink – I’m sorry to read that you were unable to find an available table before you left for the evening. Payment of the service charge you describe which was added to your bill is discretionary and guests are free to decide whether to settle the bill inclusive or exclusive of this charge.

I will be sure to feed your comments back to the relevant teams for review and I very much hope you will reconsider The Midland for a future visit to Manchester.

bolton
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Booked a 2 night upgraded stay for my sons wedding as it was convenient for the reception at Manchester Town Hall. Unfortunately on arrival the concierge was nowhere to be seen so we struggled through the doors with our numerous bags. Booking in was quick and efficient and we were asked if we needed help but by this stage we decided to struggle on! The room was large with a well appointed bathroom, it could however have been a little better with a bit of attention to fine detail, i.e. curtains coming loose from hooks.
The next morning I used the hairdressers in the basement which was brilliant and my husband used the gym which he said was small, clean but functional.
Overall we quite enjoyed our stay apart from the breakfast. What can I say? It was a shambles, people sitting at coffee tables for their breakfast, one toaster and a very limited selection of food!
as my husband said, "they only do this 52 weeks of the year". I have had better breakfasts in a premier inn!
Sort out the breakfasts Midland and your clients will be much happier.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear rachellibby,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback since your recent stay at The Midland. I’m sorry to read that your experience did not live up to your expectations in some areas of the hotel and I will certainly ensure your comments are communicated to the appropriate departments for review.

I’m pleased to read, however, that you enjoyed most of your visit and I hope your son and new daughter-in-law had a wonderful time. Please pass on our best wishes to the happy couple – I hope to welcome you back to Manchester soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We sampled the afternoon tea here last week on the recommendation of the concierge Dan Longman. The reception was warm and welcoming and the service was first class. Thoroughly enjoyed the food and drink on offer and would recommend it to anybody, if even only visiting the city for the day. I'd also like to thank Keith Samuels for his friendly approach and service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarkMinshall
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear MarkMinshall,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to The Midland. I’m sure Dan will be thrilled to hear how pleased you were with his recommendation and I’ll be sure he and Keith are aware of your complimentary comments regarding their friendly service.

I’m sure they’ll join me in hoping to welcome you back to Manchester soon.