“Nice surprise”

Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Having booked this hotel as a last minute decision, we literally decided to do a cheap last minute. To be honest, had it of been in advance, we probably would have looked toward one of the 5 stars and actually did consider the Lowry instead. I am so please we booked this.
Impressive when you walk in. Modern and large reception area, really pretty bar. Rooms were small but modern and to be honest, I kept looking for a flaw to warrant a deal for £65.00. There really wasn't any. I am normally terrible for booking anything less than a 5, but I would stay here again in a second. Only slight criticism is the noise from trams, however keeping windows shut, I am sure would help on this and could do with a little deep clean in some of hallways.
We didn't have breakfast so cannot comment on this. Would definitely stay again. 8 minutes walk to self ridges.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank stu&jess
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear stu&jess,

Thank you for your great review, I’ll be sure to thank the team here on your behalf for making your visit so enjoyable.

I hope you can forgive us for the sounds you heard from St Peter’s Square and return to The Midland very soon!

Looking forward to welcoming you back,

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 August 2014

this old railway station converted into a hotel is a good place to stay in central Manchester. The staff are extremely friendly, attentive and very helpful especially when trying to rent a car. At the moment it is not easy to access the front of the hotel by vehicule due to road works. We had a standard size room, clean but not very inviting. WiFi was almost impossible to get in the room. We were offered another room which we declined as we were staying only another couple of nights:other rooms visited were also not very inviting and could do with a good spring clean. We didn't eat at the hotel apart from Continental breakfast which was the normal toast/croissant and coffee. Would probably go back, but would like to see it modernized a little!

Room Tip: Make sure the Wifi works
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Patricia I
Dear Patricia I,

I was pleased to learn that overall you enjoyed your stay but please allow me to apologise that you were disappointed with the level of cleanliness (for which we are usually rated so highly) and the wireless internet in your bedroom.

I will share your constructive feedback with the relevant teams for their review and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Midland soon.

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Hotel staff is missing the warmth that you can find all all hotels in Asia. The doorman was non existent on arrival, and on departure as we struggled with our cases.

I arrived around 11:00 pm and was surprise to find very limited room service options, and almost nothing for a vegetarian. However, complimentary breakfast was good.

The room and corridors are not up to the 4 star rating - Small room, with a non-working TV, no regulation complimentary water bottle, no toiletries. The room looks like something out of Victorian era with a serious need of modernization. I went down to the Gym for a run, and got some unwelcome looks from the care-taker.

On the good parameters, the rooms are clean, and the location is good.

Room Tip: Each Room is of different size. So, it might make sense to ask for a bigger room while checking in.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear peteralpha,

First of all I would like to sincerely thank you for choosing The Midland during your trip to Manchester.

I was, however, concerned to read of your disappointment with some aspects of your stay – particularly your comments regarding your bedroom. With The Midland being an historic hotel, we have an on-going restoration and refurbishment programme in place to ensure that our guest rooms are continuously up-to-date; I am very sorry to read that you found your room under equipped and in need of modernisation.

I would like to find out which room you occupied during your stay and as such I am keen to contact you directly and hope you might e-mail me at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk so that we can discuss this and the rest of your experience further.

In the meantime, I wish you safe travels and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Preston, Lancashire
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

What a shame, me and my Lady have stayed here on Friday night eight times in the last two years.
The rooms and staff are as good as ever, but each time the level of breakfast quality has slowly and cynically slipped. Originally it was a full self-service cooked breakfast in the room behind the reception desk and was extremely good. Then they closed the room last August for two months whilst they refurbished it into a new fancy bistro type thing. Whilst it was being done we had to eat (cooked) breakfast in one of the large function rooms. It was like being at a wedding reception, having to sit at large round tables with people I didn't know.
Then the fancy room was reopened but the breakfast was no longer self-service. They brought it to you already plated, presumably so that we nasty greedy customers would not fill our plates up too much with "very expensive" bacon, sausage and baked beans (probably bought very cheap at the Cash and Carry). The price of the room and breakfast had not been reduced though.
Now, on Friday 8th August we were told that because of the high numbers of guests that we were now to be served breakfast in the large room off reception. Again, just continental and now much less choice. Weak coffee (served in a thermos jugs on the table - no idea how long it had been there before we sat down, and it was a shared jug for the whole table) watery orange juice and very shabby presentation. Large round tables, more sitting with strangers.
I am sad that The Midland has decided to become so mean and short sighted. Of course they're busy! The friday night deal was a good one, but now that they've attracted the traffic they feel that they can start treating their customers with contempt.
Oh, but if you pay extra for a cooked breakfast THEN you can sit in the breakfast room.
Shame on you, Midland. The nasty little bean counters have spoiled the ship for a hapeth of tar.
Nice web site, great image, lots of claims about quality and how you look forward to welcoming us. The reality, where breakfast is concerned, is very different.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NoviceClimber
Dear NoviceClimber,

Naturally I am very sorry to read your review and to learn how disappointed you were by your recent experience at The Midland.

Whilst I can certainly understand your dissatisfaction with a number of the shortcomings in service you describe from your latest experiences - I hope you can appreciate that when it comes to the breakfast now on offer at Mr. Cooper’s House & Garden, our a la carte menu offers a far wider choice to our guests and includes a much higher quality of local produce – something which we are passionate about providing to our guests.

It is clear from your review that you have been unhappy with the provisions made for you during your more recent stays at The Midland - I would appreciate the opportunity to put this right for you and ensure that we are able to restore your previous status as a happy returning guest - you can contact me at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk - I look forward to our correspondence.

Leeds
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Husband booked this couple days before direct with the hotel and got a better deal than on any booking site. On arrival I thought we must've been upgraded given size and style of the room but no this was standard! Really lovely decor, huge room and great shower. Perfect for shopping and visiting the bars. Found parking for £15 for 24 hrs at 'Park Avenue' car park close by rather than the NCP

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank UlyseesAC
Dear UlyseesAC,

Your review is so much appreciated by the whole team here - we strive to provide exceptional experiences and I am delighted to read that we achieved this for you.

Best wishes from all at The Midland,

Manchester
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel, I'm in my 20's so it was a bit dated for me however overall very satisfied with the room, room service and the restaurant. I generally walk around in shorts and t shirt and got a few weird looks but you cant help other people. Good bars and pubs very close, so not far to stagger.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank APuntersBestFriend
Dear APuntersBestFriend,

Thank you on behalf of the whole team here for taking the time to write your review. It's great to read that you found our location suited your trip to Manchester.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Midland soon.

London, UK
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel on business in May. This is a high end 4 star hotel.

Liked
- Excellent room (albeit rather small)
- Lovely modern/classical design
- Great location in central Manchester

Disliked:
- Very poor breakfast choice. Good hot choices, but not a wide enough variety in cold.
- It seems that the doors/walls facing the corridors are not well insulated for noise, as I could hear steps and conversations very clearly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank yiorgok
Dear yiorgok,

We were so pleased that your business brought you to Manchester and - more importantly; to The Midland. It’s fantastic to read how impressed you were with most aspects of your trip and I will be sure to convey your suggestions for improvements to the responsible departments for review.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon and wish you safe travels in the meantime.