“Good weekend overnight stay”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, UK
“Good weekend overnight stay”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stopped here with my wife on Saturday night whilst we were visiting GrillStock in Manchester.

The Midland is ideally situated for anyone visiting the city centre and you can park in the underground car park beneath the conference centre just over the road.

The room was really well sized, clean and comfortable. As there was a wedding at the hotel the reception staff put us on one of the higher floors so we wouldn't be disturbed.

We had breakfast the following morning and it was very good with excellent quality of ingredients.

My first stop at this beautiful Manchester landmark and one I would certainly repeat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GCall
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear GCall,

We are so pleased that you chose The Midland for your stay during GrillStock on Albert Square and that you found the hotel such an excellent base from which to enjoy a fantastic visit to Manchester.

The whole team join me in looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (832)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed at the Midland hotel on Saturday 16th August, we were hoping it was going to be a trip down memory lane. We have not been to Manchester city centre for around 15 years as we moved south 20 years ago. We took out two daughters 21 and 19 thinking this would be such a treat!
What a let down. The hotel is living off its name from the past. This hotel needs a good refurb, it could be such a lovely place if money was spent on it. The cleaning has a lot to be desired too our room was very dusty:(
We will not be going back. Apparently the Lowrey hotel is the place to go now, according to our taxi driver.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Frances W,

Thank you for choosing The Midland during your return to Manchester after such a long time away.

I am concerned to read of your disappointment with some aspects of your stay – particularly your comments regarding your bedroom. The Midland is indeed an historic hotel and in order to preserve our wonderful building we have an on-going restoration and refurbishment programme in place to ensure that our guest rooms are continuously up-to-date; I am very sorry to read that you found your room in need of refurbishment.

I would like to find out which room you occupied during your stay and as such I am keen to contact you directly and hope you might e-mail me at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk so that we can discuss this and the rest of your experience further, and so that I can ensure our Head Housekeeper investigates the dustiness you mention. This is particularly concerning as we pride ourselves on the usually fantastic comments we receive regarding the cleanliness of our guestrooms.

In the meantime, I wish you safe travels and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Great hotel, would say getting to it with the one way systems and road works that week was a task but once we arrived; concierge took our and car and got us to our rooms.

Rooms were immaculate and for the money we paid great value for money.

Would stay again and would come back to the midland .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gregwmc
Dear Gregwmc,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful experience at The Midland – it’s great to read that our Concierge were able to put you at ease as soon as you arrived by taking care of your car and guiding you to your guestrooms, particularly after what sounds like a stressful journey.

For you to describe your rooms as immaculate will be music to the ears of our Housekeeping team – I know they’ll be so pleased to hear that their hard work is appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind regards,

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Midland several times over the years but always attending a conference organised by a local NW business. But recently whilst shopping in Manchester with family have popped in for afternoon tea..a haven of peace from the bustle outside and served by friendly and helpful staff. Do try it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheshireman_11
Dear Cheshireman_11,

I’m delighted to read how much you enjoyed such a relaxing Afternoon Tea experience at The Midland, especially considering your previous business trips to the hotel.

The whole team here can’t wait to welcome you and your family back in the future.

Best wishes,

Wales
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Weekend away with wife and 2 adult children to see Ant & Dec. Arrived at hotel 12 noon having requested an early check in to be told rooms had been allocated but not cleaned and would be ready in 20 minutes so went shopping. When back from shopping at 2pm 1 room was ready but other was not. At 3pm was advised room still not ready and was the last to be cleaned. At 3.30 key arrived no apology as it was obviously a normal occurrence! Gets better when went for breakfast next morning having been advised we would be eating in the restaurant and was advised by a surly Hostess we had booked for continental breakfast, this was a surprise as booking through AMOMA I emphatically agreed a full breakfast! Got no joy from reception who completely washed their hands of the matter and said nothing to do with them that I would have to take up with AMOMA. I disagreed with this as MIDLAND HOTEL took the booking from AMOMA who had misrepresented the booking resulting in 4 unhappy customers but receptionist would not accept this. We therefore rang AMOMA no reply, what a surprise! We then go for a continental breakfast and had waited 15 minutes for a table when my wife spoke to the duty manager as a large queue had developed. The duty manager apologized and arranged a table in the Restaurant for us, we were then kept waiting again for a short while. We were then explained about the continental breakfast, when my son requested an upgrade to a full breakfast and as he went to pay we were advised we had all been upgraded to a full breakfast. Well I was so upset that we had to complain - which I hate doing - to get some decent customer service! Sorry not what we expect from a 4 star hotel! As they say everything has a consequence I got so upset during the breakfast episode I was threatened with divorce by my wife and my kids walking out on me, my daughter was so upset she dropped her iphone in the restaurant smashing the screen! On the plus side apart from hostess in restaurant staff were very professional and polite....well done! On the negative side the ladies leisure changing were dirty underneath lockers, shower broke and mouldy, no towel bin so used towels left in changing. Dust on headboard in room, bathroom plug broke and of course the check in and breakfast episodes.

Stayed August 2014
Dear PetethefeetWales,

I am very sorry to read that your recent stay did not live up to your expectations and I am naturally keen to rectify this for you.

I would be grateful if you could e-mail me directly on tsmith@qhotels.co.uk with reference to your review so that I can investigate this matter further.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

we visited the hotel for business and it was very good, the service was good, the staff were friendly with customers, the rooms were good too and clean, also entering the hotel to leaving you are treated like royalty. the continental breakfast was good too. we loved it there
i would recommend it to everyone

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Sumeet G
Dear Sumeet G,

A big thank you for taking the time to compose such a complimentary review, we’re so pleased that your business brought you to Manchester – and most importantly The Midland!

Your feedback is so much appreciated by the whole team here - we strive to provide exceptional experiences and I am delighted to read that we achieved this for you.

Best wishes from all of us here; we hope to welcome you back very soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My daughter and I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Midland Hotel for 2 nights , for a large hotel it does not lose any of its charm or atmosphere and first class service.
Our room was large, clean and spacious with 2 double beds which were so comfortable, complete with a good hairdryer, heat pad and lovely toiletries. Our air conditioning had a fault and a chappie from reception came up to have a look and because it could not be fixed there and then we were offered another room immediately or if it could not be fixed the next day we could also move rooms. The service was first class.
Along with our room we had a Continental breakfast which was very good and a wide selection on offer, the staff were very efficient and one young lady in particular who's name I didn't catch who had long blonde hair in a plait was a credit to her work.
During our stay we went to the John Ryland Library which is free and a tram ride out to Salford Quays where the Lowry Theatre is situated.
If you have a moment to is worth taking the time to read letters and postcards which are situated in the corridors in the hotel near the lifts. These have been sent to the hotel from previous staff and guests which I felt was very special to what seems a well loved hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends