“First visit and impressed”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
“First visit and impressed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We usually stay at the jury's inn however tried this hotel for a change this time and it was far superior. The rooms were freshly decorated to a nice standard and the location was excellent for shopping & bars. The only down side was the bar staff which were slow and a touch grumpy. We found a cheaper car park £15 for 24hrs at park avenue parking much cheaper than the NCP

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Woodyblade

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Larnaka City, Cyprus
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

After probably my 5th visit to the once great Midland Hotel in Manchester I can now say that this one will definitely be the last one. It used to be the best Hotel in Manchester where all the kings and prime ministers used to stay and they have managed to turn it into a mediocre hotel with poor service.

On my last visit the room I was given on the 6th Floor was smaller than small when on the booking site it was supposed to be 29m2. Believe me it was not !

I asked for a room change and they gave me similar sized room with a better layout.

The room was clean but furniture is now getting old. Minibar was full but with expired beers and when I mentioned this to the concierged he did not apologized and just said they will take care of it and charged me £3.90 for a sparkling water.

The worst part is the service and the guest treatment. They offeref Continentsl Breakfast with the room rate and believe me what a waste. They had a group at the same time as us and they did the stupid thing of puting the group in the regular breakfast room which was setup for breakfast and they put the rest of the guests to have breakfast in the WEDDING ROOM with large round tables to sit around with people I have never met before in a really cold ugly room. And not only that the service in the room was terrible. They had hot coffee from 7.30 on the tables which by 9.30-10.00 was cold and did not offer more hot coffee. The range of continental breakfast was to laugh about and they did not even have various types of jam as they used to before. The range included 1 type of type, 1 salami, 1 ham, bread, croisant(baked 3 days ago at least) and boiled eggs and some corn flakes.

The least they could do since they put us into that room was to offer an upgraded service. The drop in the quality of service in the hotel over the last 8 years is enormous.

What used to be a great 4(almost 5) star hotel has been turned into a below average 4( nearer to 3) star hotel.

The location is still very good and the staff try their best but the management is obviously not doing a good job.

I am sorry Midland Hotel but this was my last time.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ChrisLKA
Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a shopping / football trip to Manchester. Staff are very friendly and the hotel itself has nice features and really nice decor. The food was good and the bar is great. It's very central and walking distance from all the big Manchester shops and pubs. The Manchester Christmas markets are close so Dec would be a good time to visit.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Michaeltmbyrne
West Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed at The Midland on a Thomas Cook match day break. The hotel was wonderful, lovely room, huge bed, spotless. The staff, especially the concierges we encountered, were unfailingly polite and helpful. A bonus was the fabulous inclusive breakfast, fresh fruit, cheeses, meats, wonderful pastries....we didn't need lunch! A swim in the pool and a spell in the jacuzzi rounded off a wonderful stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hilary G
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is not only one of Manchester iconic hotels but one of Manchester iconic buildings. It is centrally located with in easy reach of public transport and an NCP car park.

I have visited the hotel frequently for afternoon tea but never stayed before so was looking forward to staying there to celebrate my mum's 70th birthday.

Check-in was efficient and friendly.

I had got a really good deal so was worried that our room would be small and pokey. I had in fact called earlier that day to see if I could upgrade our room but there were fully booked. I was really pleasantly surprised by the room it was very, very spacious. I would think in some hotels that due to the size of this room it would be classed as deluxe or even a jnr suite as we had a small separate seating area. The view was over a central atrium and not great but to us that did not matter in the slightest.

I would say the only two things I could pick the hotel up for was that when I phoned to ask about a room upgrade I said it was my mums birthday and they said they would put a card in the room for her but that never happened and breakfast was pretty awful if the truth be known. We went down at 0930, it was a Sunday morning. We were told to seat ourselves by a very sullen member of staff, whose uniform was really grubby.

The continental breakfast was all self service and the food was not well stocked and the toast machine was slower than a redundant glacier!!!!!! I asked for some butter and was told bruskly it is on the table to which my response was if it was on the table I wouldn't be asking for some.

A lovely stay let down by breakfast.

Ohhh and the pillows - they are not great!

Room Tip: We had room 258 - no real view but a really spacious room - it was classed as a twin but it had two...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank bah259
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear bah259,

Thank you for taking the time to compose such a great review of your visit to The Midland – I hope your mum enjoyed a fantastic 70th Birthday celebration and that we might be able to welcome you back for afternoon tea or another overnight stay again soon.

I have passed your compliments and constructive comments onto the appropriate team members and I’m sure they’ll join me in looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Hamburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

The location is great - many attractions of Manchester are in close vicinity to the hotel and as a public parking garage (though expensive) is just a few steps away one can easily get access to one's car to start longer expeditions. The breakfast buffet - which was included in the room price - was opulent, no need to order the full English breakfast. Just one minor complaint: it was not possible to open the window - due to the usual health and safety gone mad.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anwalt1969
Dear anwalt1969,

How wonderful to read such complimentary words regarding your recent stay with us – I’m so pleased to read that you were impressed by the selection available at breakfast; as well as how well our location suited your needs.

The bedroom windows are indeed secured to follow the guidelines set our by the Health & Safety Executive, but I hope this will not deter you from returning to The Midland very soon.

Kind regards,

High Bentham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

This was a birthday treat for an amazing friend. We went to see le cirque du Soleil. Ate in China town and had an amazing stay at a The Midland.
We both studied in Manchester and never imagined we'd ever stay in a The Midland.
Really helpful staff, gorgeous room, lovely toiletries (bonus!!) great bar down stairs. The French restaurant if you fancy a treat.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this luxurious, incredible hotel

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sarahnunty
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Sarahnunty,

A big thank you! It’s wonderful to read that you chose The Midland for such a special birthday celebration - Please come back and see us very soon.

With birthday wishes to your friend,