“Wonderful hotel and would pay to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Glossop, England
“Wonderful hotel and would pay to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2009

We were lucky enough to win a fine dining break at The Midland. There was a bit of bother getting the day we wanted as they had limited spaces for prize winners but, after a bit of negociation and discussion, they finally accommodated us on the day we wanted.

It proved to be absolutely wonderful and we could not fault anything at all. The only thing we regret was staying at the Victoria and Albert hotel the night after where we were attending a function. The V and A was trash in comparison.

The main thing about the hotel was the staff. I am sure that the staff were from all parts of the World, but, and I know it a sensitive issue, there were no language problems at all. How often does someone stay in a hotel in the UK these days and have problems communicating with key staff? They all seemed cheeful and happy to work there as well. Nothing was too much of a problem.

We stayed in one of the mid range deluxe rooms which was clean, suitably spacious and well equipped. Facing inwards it was very quiet.

We ate in the French resturant as part of the package which was a wonderful experience with, again, attentive staff willing to please. We had breakfast in the Colony where there was ample choice and all the food was well prepared.

This hotel may be a bit more pricy than others for one night's stay in Manchester but it is better if you stay for more than one night. You get what you pay for, however, and The Midland has added value. We are planning a trip there again at some point even though we do not live far away.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (812)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

Stayed one night whilst attending a conference. Firstly they had no record of my booking despite the conference organisers having confirmation. Gave me a room where previous occupant had been smoking - aircon was on full on cold to try and get rid of the smell so the room was like an ice box. Moved me but couldn't give me a quiet room because they said they were full (there is a very noisy tram that runs every 10 mins along the front and side of the hotel from 6am to past midnight so if you are a light sleeper and they don't have room at the back of the hotel stay somewhere else). They didn't ask for my card to charge to my room so later that evening when I asked for drinks from the bar (by the way pint of beer is £8!) they wouldn't accept my room card. Said I would phone down from my room with my credit card details which I did. At 11.40pm when I was already in bed they phoned to say I had to go back down to sign for the drinks! They then sent someone up with the slip for me to sign and had added a service charge because they had to come to my room to get it signed! Conference service was poor. Waited 10 mins to be seated the next morning at breakfast. Asked for latte and 30 mins later still had not got one. Only 2 people at the desk on checkout - queues horrendous as they had 3 conference groups in - and the wait to pick up the luggage from the concierge later in the afternoon was even worse. Internet did not work - kept dropping out - and charged £8 for 2 hours - many hotels now providing wi-fi free. This hotel is overrated, expensive and poor service.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Bolton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2009

Our first stay at the Midland. We had a lovely time. It is a magnificent building, the decor was fabulous. We booked a standard room and only paid £95 including breakfast. The room was on the small side which was as expected but perfectly functional , immaculate and beautifully decorated ... but oh dear the bed was frankly a disappointment. We have never slept in such a small double bed in a hotel which considering the Midland's status and star rating was a bit of a let down, particularly when budget hotels like the Premier Travel Inn give you at the least a King Size if not a Super King Size.bed. Everything else - the decor, service, breakfast was absolutely first class and we would book again - but only in a twin room where we can push the beds together! Still a very huge recommended hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2009

Large grand old hotel recently done up to very high standard. Extremely central as opp Central Library, Art Gallery, 3-5mins stroll from main upmarket shopping street-King Street-and the nearby Arndale Centre. Lots of bars and restaurants nearby and 15-20mins walk to Picaddily Train Station with connection to airport.

Don't book breakfast in the hotel as 2-3 nice deli/cafe's around the corner/across the road with all day full breakfast for £3-4 even on Sunday. While my double room wasn't huge it was stylishly done up with a nice bathroom and was overall very comfortable. There was a leisure centre in the hotel and I asked for a quiet room and got one on the first floor with a view of the interior courtyard (very dull) but was really quiet and I never heard the two wedding receptions which were on the same floor on two seperate nights!The staff were all pleasant, friendly and i got a great deal of dobule room 3 nights exc breakfast for €208 and would definately stay here again!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
Reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2009

I travelled up to Manchester for my first time in January on a 2 day business trip. I stayed at the Midland Hotel Manchester as it was the nicest place my work would shell out for! Much better and more charismatic than a Premier Inn.

The staff were pleasant and the buffet breakfast service was superb as another reviewer has mentioned. I feel however that the hotel could do with more in terms of entertainment and internet access, I felt that although the hotel provided my rudimentary accommodation to a high standard it had little in the way of extras.

I booked my stay at The Midland Hotel through http://www.themidlandhotel.info. They were very knowledgeable about the local area and helped me to choose the right hotel

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lancashire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2009

Spent 2 days here with a friend. The room we were given was on the top floor and it was small and dark - a real attic room! We complained and we were given a much better room on the 2nd floor.
The staff was very friendly and helpful but seemed to be a bit overwhelmed.Our only meal was breakfast and the
food was very poor. The initial rack of toast had to be sent back as it was soggy and cold. Subsequent toast was slightly better but still underdone and cool.
The cooked food, eggs bacon etc, looked tired and was not very hot. The plates were cold. My friend had kippers. He was given two misshapen kippers piled on top of each other - poorly presented and unappetizing. Breakfast was a never to be repeated experience!
On the second day we were unable to get a drink and a snack at lunch time as all the seats were taken by delegates to a conference.
The staff and our second room were OK but considering the high price we had paid for B & B the rest of the facilities etc were very poor. A pity because the Midland used to be a very good hotel.

• Liked — Our second room
  • Disliked — poor value for money
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
Lancashire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2009

• Liked — The second room we were given
  • Disliked — poor value for money