“How a hotel should be.”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 8 March 2009

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Midland. The room was fantastic but it was the service that really stood out for me. These days there are far too many hotels with a skeleton staff of people who don't care whether you have a good stay or not. However every member of staff at the Midland would be on hand to see to your every need and go that little bit further to ensure your stay is as comfortable and relaxing as possible. All this does not come cheap, but it is similarly priced to competitors such as Holiday Inn and I know where I would rather stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,207)

Reviewed 7 March 2009

i booked afternoon tea for six at the midland to celebrate my elderly parents diamond wedding anniversary. my mother had always admired the midland hotel as apparently it has traditionally been known as the premier hotel in manchester. my parents live in cheshire and they no longer drive in manchester as at their age they find the traffic too much, so i booked for the celebrationary tea for febuary when i would be able to travel up from my home in southern england. my mother was thrilled as she has never before been inside the midland hotel. we were seated in the lounge and i noted that the chairs and settee had seen better days. we were not asked what type of tea we would like, but i overlooked that. however, when the food arrived i was extremely disappointed. there were 3 finger sandwiches per person, 1 rather overcooked scone per person with 2 varieties of jam and cream. the jam and cream provided for 6 people was clearly insufficient, and to top that, the cakes provided were all very similar and very dry. there were 2 meringues and also 2 tartlets. were the other 2 members of our party not eligible for meringue or tartlet? i was disappointed as it was a diamond weddind celebration and felt that my parents may well go away hungry. i immediately ordered a further scone, jam and cream for each person, despite the quality being somewhat less than expected. the bill for this feast came to approximately £150. we left without complaining as i didnt want to spoil my parents special day. i complained the next day by telephone, only to be told that the manager was not available but would return my call. the call was not returned, and several e-mails have been completely ignored. it seems that the midland hotel managers feel they do not need to respond to complaints. i have taken afternoon tea in a wide variety of hotels both in london and outside of london. i can confidently report that the quality and quantity offered at the midland is the worst i have ever had. i have taken tea at the ritz in london and also at the lowry in manchester, and for those people who are looking to enjoy the experience of afternoon tea in manchester, please take my advice and go to the far superior lowry, you will not regret it. as to the rooms at the midland, i cannot give an opinion, and following our experience of their food and customer service, it is unlikely i will ever decide to stay there. they are trading on their past glory, and other hotels now offer far superior quality.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank maddyHampshire
Reviewed 7 March 2009

We were lucky enough to win a fine dining break at The Midland. There was a bit of bother getting the day we wanted as they had limited spaces for prize winners but, after a bit of negociation and discussion, they finally accommodated us on the day we wanted.

It proved to be absolutely wonderful and we could not fault anything at all. The only thing we regret was staying at the Victoria and Albert hotel the night after where we were attending a function. The V and A was trash in comparison.

The main thing about the hotel was the staff. I am sure that the staff were from all parts of the World, but, and I know it a sensitive issue, there were no language problems at all. How often does someone stay in a hotel in the UK these days and have problems communicating with key staff? They all seemed cheeful and happy to work there as well. Nothing was too much of a problem.

We stayed in one of the mid range deluxe rooms which was clean, suitably spacious and well equipped. Facing inwards it was very quiet.

We ate in the French resturant as part of the package which was a wonderful experience with, again, attentive staff willing to please. We had breakfast in the Colony where there was ample choice and all the food was well prepared.

This hotel may be a bit more pricy than others for one night's stay in Manchester but it is better if you stay for more than one night. You get what you pay for, however, and The Midland has added value. We are planning a trip there again at some point even though we do not live far away.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Stayed one night whilst attending a conference. Firstly they had no record of my booking despite the conference organisers having confirmation. Gave me a room where previous occupant had been smoking - aircon was on full on cold to try and get rid of the smell so the room was like an ice box. Moved me but couldn't give me a quiet room because they said they were full (there is a very noisy tram that runs every 10 mins along the front and side of the hotel from 6am to past midnight so if you are a light sleeper and they don't have room at the back of the hotel stay somewhere else). They didn't ask for my card to charge to my room so later that evening when I asked for drinks from the bar (by the way pint of beer is £8!) they wouldn't accept my room card. Said I would phone down from my room with my credit card details which I did. At 11.40pm when I was already in bed they phoned to say I had to go back down to sign for the drinks! They then sent someone up with the slip for me to sign and had added a service charge because they had to come to my room to get it signed! Conference service was poor. Waited 10 mins to be seated the next morning at breakfast. Asked for latte and 30 mins later still had not got one. Only 2 people at the desk on checkout - queues horrendous as they had 3 conference groups in - and the wait to pick up the luggage from the concierge later in the afternoon was even worse. Internet did not work - kept dropping out - and charged £8 for 2 hours - many hotels now providing wi-fi free. This hotel is overrated, expensive and poor service.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Our first stay at the Midland. We had a lovely time. It is a magnificent building, the decor was fabulous. We booked a standard room and only paid £95 including breakfast. The room was on the small side which was as expected but perfectly functional , immaculate and beautifully decorated ... but oh dear the bed was frankly a disappointment. We have never slept in such a small double bed in a hotel which considering the Midland's status and star rating was a bit of a let down, particularly when budget hotels like the Premier Travel Inn give you at the least a King Size if not a Super King Size.bed. Everything else - the decor, service, breakfast was absolutely first class and we would book again - but only in a twin room where we can push the beds together! Still a very huge recommended hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2009

Large grand old hotel recently done up to very high standard. Extremely central as opp Central Library, Art Gallery, 3-5mins stroll from main upmarket shopping street-King Street-and the nearby Arndale Centre. Lots of bars and restaurants nearby and 15-20mins walk to Picaddily Train Station with connection to airport.

Don't book breakfast in the hotel as 2-3 nice deli/cafe's around the corner/across the road with all day full breakfast for £3-4 even on Sunday. While my double room wasn't huge it was stylishly done up with a nice bathroom and was overall very comfortable. There was a leisure centre in the hotel and I asked for a quiet room and got one on the first floor with a view of the interior courtyard (very dull) but was really quiet and I never heard the two wedding receptions which were on the same floor on two seperate nights!The staff were all pleasant, friendly and i got a great deal of dobule room 3 nights exc breakfast for €208 and would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 February 2009

I travelled up to Manchester for my first time in January on a 2 day business trip. I stayed at the Midland Hotel Manchester as it was the nicest place my work would shell out for! Much better and more charismatic than a Premier Inn.

The staff were pleasant and the buffet breakfast service was superb as another reviewer has mentioned. I feel however that the hotel could do with more in terms of entertainment and internet access, I felt that although the hotel provided my rudimentary accommodation to a high standard it had little in the way of extras.

I booked my stay at The Midland Hotel through http://www.themidlandhotel.info. They were very knowledgeable about the local area and helped me to choose the right hotel

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)