“Nice but Disorganised”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Booked a table for dinner in the restaurant at 9pm on the day of arrival. Got all dresses up for dinner only to come down at 8:45 to find that we couldnt eat in the restaurant and had to have a buffet dinner in the breakfast room. This is not right! We had to go out for dinner at this late stage. Im not happy about this I had taken my sister away for a couple of nights and we were going to see a show the night after. I have written to the manager so we will see what the reply is. Being over 65ish myself and my sister having walking difficulties, it is not easy to find somewhere for dinner late in the evening on a friday night and we had to settle for an average, not what we expected.

• Stayed: April 2009

Reviewed 10 April 2009

Have been going to this hotel for many years and have no complaints however the new decor vastly detracts from the edwardian building and doesnt fit in with it at all. Other than this no complaints brilliant hotel in a brilliant location definately worth spending the extra bit of money for.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2009

There's something special about this place. A real sense of history from a time of railway journeys being an adventure. Each floor has some momento from it's history by the lifts for you to read; fragments of glass from a cofee table broken during England's World Cup win in 1966 (and a letter of apology from the customer), postcards sent from around the world. I wonder what I'll find at easter.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank actormat
Reviewed 29 March 2009

Having decided to book a night away for my wife's birthday with a hopefully special meal included I was dissapointed to find our £110 room came without breakfast and was much smaller than our bedroom at home and the leisure club was tatty and outdated.
The French restaurant promised much with it's impressive dining room but delivered nothing more than low standard badly cooked food.
Our expensive bottle of red wine came nothing short of chilled, having made the point to the Head Waiter the response was a gallic shrug and an admission that replacement of the bottle would not make any difference as all the bottles were stored in the same room.
My 'medium rare' fillet of beef came medium to well done accompanied by 'rare' potatoes. The bill for two came to the best part of £200, I felt the meal warranted a bill a quarter of that based on the cooking skill demonstrated.
I felt I did not want to complain further so as not to ruin the occasion but I could have pretty much had a moan about every aspect of the meal.
Unfortunately the Midland may well survive on an outdated reputation, transient trade and businessmen's expense accounts but it is completely undeserved.
Maybe I'm wrong and it won't as I managed to get a room and restaurant booking at relatively short notice after not managing to get availability at Abode four weeks ago, a modern, forward thinking, creative establishment not a lumbering, lazy, complacent giant.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danny253
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Stayed here rather the crashing on a friends floor. Love it. The food's great especially breakfast and it's really close to everything. You sometimes end up in the lift with random celebs. My only criticism would be the parking costs as you need to park at the ncp across the road.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2009

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Midland. The room was fantastic but it was the service that really stood out for me. These days there are far too many hotels with a skeleton staff of people who don't care whether you have a good stay or not. However every member of staff at the Midland would be on hand to see to your every need and go that little bit further to ensure your stay is as comfortable and relaxing as possible. All this does not come cheap, but it is similarly priced to competitors such as Holiday Inn and I know where I would rather stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2009

i booked afternoon tea for six at the midland to celebrate my elderly parents diamond wedding anniversary. my mother had always admired the midland hotel as apparently it has traditionally been known as the premier hotel in manchester. my parents live in cheshire and they no longer drive in manchester as at their age they find the traffic too much, so i booked for the celebrationary tea for febuary when i would be able to travel up from my home in southern england. my mother was thrilled as she has never before been inside the midland hotel. we were seated in the lounge and i noted that the chairs and settee had seen better days. we were not asked what type of tea we would like, but i overlooked that. however, when the food arrived i was extremely disappointed. there were 3 finger sandwiches per person, 1 rather overcooked scone per person with 2 varieties of jam and cream. the jam and cream provided for 6 people was clearly insufficient, and to top that, the cakes provided were all very similar and very dry. there were 2 meringues and also 2 tartlets. were the other 2 members of our party not eligible for meringue or tartlet? i was disappointed as it was a diamond weddind celebration and felt that my parents may well go away hungry. i immediately ordered a further scone, jam and cream for each person, despite the quality being somewhat less than expected. the bill for this feast came to approximately £150. we left without complaining as i didnt want to spoil my parents special day. i complained the next day by telephone, only to be told that the manager was not available but would return my call. the call was not returned, and several e-mails have been completely ignored. it seems that the midland hotel managers feel they do not need to respond to complaints. i have taken afternoon tea in a wide variety of hotels both in london and outside of london. i can confidently report that the quality and quantity offered at the midland is the worst i have ever had. i have taken tea at the ritz in london and also at the lowry in manchester, and for those people who are looking to enjoy the experience of afternoon tea in manchester, please take my advice and go to the far superior lowry, you will not regret it. as to the rooms at the midland, i cannot give an opinion, and following our experience of their food and customer service, it is unlikely i will ever decide to stay there. they are trading on their past glory, and other hotels now offer far superior quality.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family