“A lovely night to celebrate our wedding anniversay”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #12 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 15 May 2009

We have just spent a lovely night at the Midland.All the staff were helpful and we were given a beautiful Suite!!! no less with a bottle of wine to celebrate our night.It was great to be right in the centre of the city and a treat to have someone else park the car.Definately a night to remember.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,307)

Reviewed 12 May 2009

If you want to be connected to the internet, this is not the hotel for you. I paid 15 pounds two days in a row for alleged 24 hour access.. each time, it ran out after about 4 -6 hours, during which time i was down/up loading nothing - apparently i had reached my data limit. Highway robbery! My co-workers also had problems staying connected.
Otherwise - the hotel was ok, the facade is gorgeous - but sadly the frustration with the internet is all i will remember.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank nbehring
Reviewed 10 May 2009

Great hotel with good service, nice rooms, great breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2009

The hotel proved an elegant stage for a great wedding. Fine rooms, good service, food etc etc. It seems some reviewers have been unimpressed, but this place is very good for a big function. And praise for the concierge staff, who kept an eye on my motor (I'm afraid in these green times, I confess a little shamefully that it is a bit too big for the NCP) while it was left on the yellow lines outside the hotel overnight.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 26 April 2009

I normally stay at the Lowry when in Machester but it was full so I booked into the Midland. The hotel has more character than the Lowry and I found the staff to be more welcoming, however it is disapointing when you arrive at a hotel of this size and find only two receptionists and a queue. Nethertheless when I got to the front of the queue there was a smiling face and an efficient check in.

The bar was busy and a bit pricey but I would like to add in defense of the hotel that a pint of lager is £3.60 and not the £8.00 quoted by a previous reviewer (don't some people exagerate to make a point!!) We ate in the bar in the evening and found the steak to be poor accompanied by frozen chips. Maybe its me but why don't the better quality establishments give people home made chips. The Champagne cocktails were nice particularly the spicey bloody mary.

The room was excellent, nice comfy beds and nice spacious bathroom.

The car valet was a nice touch and reasonably priced, although make sure you ask where they are going to return the car as I sat at the front of the hotel (where I dropped it off) for twenty minutes only to find that the car had been left at the back of the hotel.

All in all for £215.00 a night I expected a bit more than I got for my money. However I will try the Midland again and hope it gets some of these smaller problems corrected.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I stayed at The Midland for with some work colleagues and even though it was for only one night, I cant really fault it.
I was in quite a rush when I got there and the staff were polite and helpful and parked my car for me. Staff were also friendly and attentitive at the bar area and prompt with requests. I had a twin room which was spacious and the bed were comfortable and the decor was modern and bright. Shower in the morning was powerful and enough to wake you up after a few evening beers. There was plenty of choice in the morning at breakfast time and again, the morning staff were very pleasant and greated me with a cheery smile. My only negative, if any, was the cost of parking. Over night was £16, but it is central Manchester and you park in an NCP but I though it might be subsidised a little. Overall a great hotel and worth staying.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Booked a table for dinner in the restaurant at 9pm on the day of arrival. Got all dresses up for dinner only to come down at 8:45 to find that we couldnt eat in the restaurant and had to have a buffet dinner in the breakfast room. This is not right! We had to go out for dinner at this late stage. Im not happy about this I had taken my sister away for a couple of nights and we were going to see a show the night after. I have written to the manager so we will see what the reply is. Being over 65ish myself and my sister having walking difficulties, it is not easy to find somewhere for dinner late in the evening on a friday night and we had to settle for an average, not what we expected.

• Stayed: April 2009