“A welcoming hotel for all the family!”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“A welcoming hotel for all the family!”
Reviewed 27 August 2010

It was great to see that the reception staff did not recoil at the sight of us and our 3 young children (1,2 and 4) arriving! The check-in was fast, efficient and friendly-they even produced children's activity packs which contained sweets! Our luggage was take off us and taken to our room beofre we realised it was gone! We stayed in a deluxe twin room which was MASSIVE, more than ample for 5 of us. The bathroom was beautiful and most importantly, spotless. We ate in the hotel's Wyvern Bar the first night as we read that children ate free; this was true and we were really impressed by the quality of the food both our own and the children's. The staff were really friendly too. I read previous reviews about the breakfast not being great so I did not know what to expect. It was absolutley fine- no waiting and a good selection. Great location. We too the tram to MOSI and the bus to the Curry Mile. On the whole I would recommend this hotel to people with young children-not always something that can be said for a city centre hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
neilbutler, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 30 August 2010
Thank you for your positive feedback, we are delighted that your experience at The Midland was enjoyable, and we do hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Berkshire, UK
Reviewed 20 August 2010

Amazing staff - once through the doors of the hotel you feel well looked after, nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is a bit old fashioned and gloomy but a good night's sleep in a very comfortable bed, and a good breakfast, overcame that. Great location - right in the middle of everything.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
neilbutler, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 23 August 2010

London, UK
Reviewed 19 August 2010

What's left to say about The Midland that hasn't been said. I love the reception, the Octagon bar is nice the seating's just right. Lots of hotels have got rid of that sofa / comfortable chair area and I love meeting friends there for drinks. The rooms are well presented and always clean. (Try slapping the bed covers in the Malmaison and see the dust rise!)

I've stayed in most of the nice hotels in Manchester but always find myself returning to the Midland. (What's with the restaurant in the Lowry!) The location's great, the staff excellent, the French restaurant is one of my favourite in the world. I've had better meals and service in there than in The Waterside Inn, and for a lot less money!

It's not all fantastic though, I have 2 quibbles. 1 is that the leisure center needs some money spending on it. It's just too tired in comparison with the rest of the hotel.

The second is Breakfast. The room service breakfasts that I had this stay were terrible, so much so I felt compelled to complain. There were regularly items missing and the English Breakfast was very badly presented. It occasionally looked like it had been plated up the day before! I did eat breakfast in the restaurant my first morning but alas that also wasn't quite up to scratch. Too much food on the hotplates going hard, condiments in bowls rather than small bottles and it took a while to get any of the staff's attention. Quite Frankly I've had better breakfasts in a Premier Inn. (Not that there's anything at all wrong with a Premier Inn but come on, surely The Midland doesn't want to be classed in the same league as a Premier Inn?

Having said the above about the breakfasts, I must also report that they were that bad this time round I felt the need to call and complain. I must have stayed at The Midland 25 plus nights this year alone and they were just getting worse. In any case, I did call and complain and felt I was dealt with in a very professional manner and I felt listened to which is important these days. It's so easy to go somewhere else, and us brits do do that in the main part but then what would I do if I couldn't stay here!

I greatly look forwards to my next stay where I'll be sure to see if the breakfast have improved. Rest assured I'll report back whatever the outcome.

(I realise that if the only thing I've found wrong with the hotel is the breakfasts then clearly the hotel is doing almost everything right, but the devil's in the detail with quality hotels and there are so many hotels that say they're quality and they're just not. Everything about the Midland is quality. So much so that that's why I found it necessary to pull them up on their breakfasts!)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me earlier today, I would, once again, like to offer my sincere apologies for your recent experience but I am pleased that we have been able to resolve the matter.

Kind regards

Manchester
Reviewed 14 August 2010

Stayed one night with partner,excellent location,friendly staff,small but quailty furnished bedrooms, breakfast average could not fault anything else...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

North Wales
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Enjoyed a very relaxing Saturday evening stay. Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpfull. Location was excellent and room comfortable and quiet. Would definately stay again!

Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Stayed here a few days ago while on business in the City, a very pleasant room, well cleaned, a great rate of £75 for single occupany b&b, would use again.

cheshire
Reviewed 4 August 2010

wanted to book a treat for my husbands birthday & the midland was suggested.i rang the hotel direct for sat night b&b & treatments for the at afternoon.the lady who answered the phone was very helpful & really nice.we arrived at 12.30 & our room was ready for us.the room was gorgeous.very clean,spacious,lovely view,& everything you would want.the hotel is very impressive.the staff couldnt make us more comfortable.the treatments id recommend.brilliant location.superb breakfast.when we was checking out,they kept our bags for us while we went shopping.i would definately return.thanks for a fantastic stay,& making my husbands birthday more special

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
neilbutler, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 10 August 2010
Thank you for posting your comments regarding your stay here at the midland hotel
we are so pleased you had a wonderful Time .

kInd regards Neil Butler