“Convenient City Centre Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Bedford, UK
“Convenient City Centre Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

We stayed at the Midland for two nights (Friday & Saturday) in June 2010 as part of a colleague’s birthday celebration. So, we didn’t make too much use of the facilities.

The hotel is right in the middle of Manchester and within easy walking distance of the main shopping arcades.

A big drawback is there is no parking at the hotel – there is a “pull-in” area with double yellow lines – so only useful for (short) drop-offs. The hotel does offer Valet Parking at (we believe) £20/day. We did not use the facility because we were able to park at our company’s car park – so please check current prices.

The hotel is obviously an old building but the facilities are reasonable. Our room (331) was at the front of the hotel and, as such, was subject to a fair amount of external noise (traffic & people) during the night. What was more surprising was that we could hear people in adjacent rooms – we thought that an old building would have more solid and soundproof walls.

The room itself was a reasonable size, but was obviously created within an existing structure – we had a hallway area that went nowhere – useful, though, for storing our cases. There was a reasonable amount of hanging space – but no drawer space.

The room had a safe, ironing board (with iron) and hair-drier plus the usual coffee-making facilities. Plus Air Conditioning. Additionally the room was well-light. There was a good light fitting in the middle of the room. (It is a cause of frustration that many hotel rooms just have lighting around the perimeter of the room, which cause many dim spots – no problem like that here.)

The bathroom was clean with the usual toiletries.

As already mentioned we were in Manchester for a birthday celebration, so did not eat at the hotel in the evening. We did however, use the bar menu one afternoon and the food was good - they provided a Breakfast Roll (Bacon & Sausage) in the afternoon even though the menu stated this was only available in the morning. The service in the Bar area was good and attentive at all times.

Breakfast (which was self-service) was good with plenty of variety on offer. A small gripe was that the food was spread around the room - for example the bread and toasting machine were on opposite sides of the room to the hot food (bacon etc.), which, when the room was busy felt like an unnecessary struggle to construct a breakfast. Sunday morning breakfast was extremely busy – but we were seated and served quickly. The hot food was replenished very rapidly so that we didn’t have to wait for any items – impressive considering the number of people wanting food at the same time.

In summary, a reasonable hotel for a Manchester City Break.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
neilbutler, Public Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 3 September 2010
Can I first of all open by thanking you for your detailed and thoughtful review regarding your recent stay here at The Midland.

You are quite correct that we do offer a full car parking valet service to the front and rear of the hotel that takes guests cars to the Manchester Central car park immediately adjacent to us and we find that the thousands of guests that use this facility annually have said that it does ease their transition and departure from the hotel significantly and our Concierge team are always on hand too assist with this facility.

The Midland is an iconic and world famous listed building full of history and heritage dating back more than 100 years and has a reputation for excellence in customer service that I thank you for highlighting as we feel that it why we are normally the default choice for leisure breaks in the City.

I do take on board your comments regarding the noise issues in your room and can assure you that I have asked the team to look into the matter as we want all of our guests to enjoy their time here not just some.

Can I close in once again saying thank you for your time and kind, considered views which I have passed onto the team. From your friend in the heart of the City of Manchester

Regards

Neil Butler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

This is my first review of any hotel that I've ever stayed in, and I've stayed in hundreds. But I could not resist commenting on my stay at the Midland. I just literally checked out an hour ago. I'm at the lounge at the airport and I felt like I needed to let you travelers know about this hotel. The staff....from the management all the way down to the waiters in the restaurant were incredible. They couldn't have been any nicer or more attentive. The concierge attendees were so helpful. Especially Jimmy, who was so helpful. No question was too silly, no info was too minor to give. The location was great! I didn't take a taxi the entire time I was there. I enjoyed walking around the area. The breakfast was very good. Even though it was the same thing every day, I found myself looking forward to eating it every morning. When I'm back in Manchester for either business or pleasure...the only hotel to stay at is the Midland. Thank you for an incredible stay!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
neilbutler, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 30 August 2010
Thank you for your positive feedback, we are delighted that your experience at The Midland was enjoyable, and we do hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

It was great to see that the reception staff did not recoil at the sight of us and our 3 young children (1,2 and 4) arriving! The check-in was fast, efficient and friendly-they even produced children's activity packs which contained sweets! Our luggage was take off us and taken to our room beofre we realised it was gone! We stayed in a deluxe twin room which was MASSIVE, more than ample for 5 of us. The bathroom was beautiful and most importantly, spotless. We ate in the hotel's Wyvern Bar the first night as we read that children ate free; this was true and we were really impressed by the quality of the food both our own and the children's. The staff were really friendly too. I read previous reviews about the breakfast not being great so I did not know what to expect. It was absolutley fine- no waiting and a good selection. Great location. We too the tram to MOSI and the bus to the Curry Mile. On the whole I would recommend this hotel to people with young children-not always something that can be said for a city centre hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Berkshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2010

Amazing staff - once through the doors of the hotel you feel well looked after, nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is a bit old fashioned and gloomy but a good night's sleep in a very comfortable bed, and a good breakfast, overcame that. Great location - right in the middle of everything.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
neilbutler, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 23 August 2010

London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

What's left to say about The Midland that hasn't been said. I love the reception, the Octagon bar is nice the seating's just right. Lots of hotels have got rid of that sofa / comfortable chair area and I love meeting friends there for drinks. The rooms are well presented and always clean. (Try slapping the bed covers in the Malmaison and see the dust rise!)

I've stayed in most of the nice hotels in Manchester but always find myself returning to the Midland. (What's with the restaurant in the Lowry!) The location's great, the staff excellent, the French restaurant is one of my favourite in the world. I've had better meals and service in there than in The Waterside Inn, and for a lot less money!

It's not all fantastic though, I have 2 quibbles. 1 is that the leisure center needs some money spending on it. It's just too tired in comparison with the rest of the hotel.

The second is Breakfast. The room service breakfasts that I had this stay were terrible, so much so I felt compelled to complain. There were regularly items missing and the English Breakfast was very badly presented. It occasionally looked like it had been plated up the day before! I did eat breakfast in the restaurant my first morning but alas that also wasn't quite up to scratch. Too much food on the hotplates going hard, condiments in bowls rather than small bottles and it took a while to get any of the staff's attention. Quite Frankly I've had better breakfasts in a Premier Inn. (Not that there's anything at all wrong with a Premier Inn but come on, surely The Midland doesn't want to be classed in the same league as a Premier Inn?

Having said the above about the breakfasts, I must also report that they were that bad this time round I felt the need to call and complain. I must have stayed at The Midland 25 plus nights this year alone and they were just getting worse. In any case, I did call and complain and felt I was dealt with in a very professional manner and I felt listened to which is important these days. It's so easy to go somewhere else, and us brits do do that in the main part but then what would I do if I couldn't stay here!

I greatly look forwards to my next stay where I'll be sure to see if the breakfast have improved. Rest assured I'll report back whatever the outcome.

(I realise that if the only thing I've found wrong with the hotel is the breakfasts then clearly the hotel is doing almost everything right, but the devil's in the detail with quality hotels and there are so many hotels that say they're quality and they're just not. Everything about the Midland is quality. So much so that that's why I found it necessary to pull them up on their breakfasts!)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me earlier today, I would, once again, like to offer my sincere apologies for your recent experience but I am pleased that we have been able to resolve the matter.

Kind regards

Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

Stayed one night with partner,excellent location,friendly staff,small but quailty furnished bedrooms, breakfast average could not fault anything else...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

North Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

Enjoyed a very relaxing Saturday evening stay. Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpfull. Location was excellent and room comfortable and quiet. Would definately stay again!

Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Guest Services Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Hilton Manchester Deansgate
#42 of 115 in Manchester
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,107 reviews

Been to The Midland? Share your experiences!