“Superb”
Review of The Midland

Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Great hotel situated in the centre of Manchester. Fantastic reception area creating a fabulous first impression. Staff on reception very welcoming and helpful.

Room decorated to a high standard, bed very very comfortable.

Good breakfast offering a variety of different options.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to any traveller.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2010

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to review us. I know the team really appreciate it and I'd be hard pressed to improve on what you have said already

Reviewed 10 December 2010

I want to the Midland because it is one of the few hotel in Manchester to have a sauna.
The hotel occupies a very nice building. The service is good for English standards.

The room was slightly disappointing: there was an old red stain in the carpet. I regretted that sleepers were not offered.
The TV was also pretty old and the remote controller quite filthy.

The bed was very nice and I slept well in a quiet atmosphere.

The French restaurant is really worth it.

The big disappointment was the sauna. Both customers and hotel staff don't have a clue about what hygiene means. The sauna was old and tiny. You have to walk barefoot where people walk with their shoes to access the sauna. Customers do not use towels and sweat directly on the benches...

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to review The Midland and for your comments. Our Leisure Manager is looking into your concerns with our Sauna as that is not normally something we receive anything other than positive feedback for. Thanks also for the comments about your room and The French restaurant you're right in that alongside the building itself it is a superb facility.

Reviewed 9 December 2010

Stayed at the Midland Hotel whilst attending a corporate event in Manchester Town Hall. It was twilight when I arrived and the hotel has an illuminated reindeer with red nose! It also had a fantastic array of white light just like you see in the Christmas movies. As I entered the lobby there were two spectacular christmas trees beautifully decorated and lit. The check in was efficient. My room was roomy and was well lit. Extremely comfortable bed and as it was really cold outside it was beautifully warm inside.
Breakfast was adequate rather than anything special. Still would be first choice in Manchester

Dear Reviewer,

Many thansk for your feedback espcially about the Christmas decorations as they are spectacular and very much an attraction both inside and outside of the hotel.

Thanks also for letting us know that we are the hotel of choice in Manchester and for giving us the opportunity to get our breakfast standard back to where it should be if on this occasion if didn't exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 9 December 2010

I was only there for one night on a business trip but I found the hotel to be of a very high standard, and the staff at reception and in the restaurant at breakfast were helpful, polite and friendly. My room was clean and comfortable - I was in a corner room on 6th floor which was beautifully quiet.

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your feedback; its great to read that we made a really positive impression even if it was just an overnight stay for a business event.

Reviewed 8 December 2010

some reviews didn't rate the service : no problems for us
However
room was very noisy due to air con unitson the OUTSIDE of the room
if we had had to stay for another night this would have been a problem
drinks are pricey
food is onl;y so so ; Lancashire Hot Pot - avoid so watery it's a travesty of the real thing
recommend the valet parking GREAT & very good value
also, how can they reserve tables in the LOUNGE of all places

don't usually stay in 4 star so few comparatives

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2010

We stayed at the Midland in Manchester recently to visit the Christmas markets.
I have stayed at the Midland before and like the Building, and the health club and pool downstiars (though dated) which is clean and usually well staffed. It is expensive compared to say the premiere Inn opposite - We paid £159 for our basic double room with small bed for our 2 year old and a cot for our newborn.
My complaint to the front desk was about our bed. It was a fitted piece of furiture in the room with wardrobes/shelves either side, but the double bed itself is a drop down/fold out. The matress was not good quality, and we spent all night rolling into each other, also every time I got up to attend our baby the whole thing groaned and banged etc.
I made this (legitmate) complaint to the front desk staff in a polite but firm explanation. They just shrugged and said, next time you can ask for a normal bed. I asked even if the matress was of quality required to maintain a 4 star rating Hotel. We asked for at least a complemnetary cup of tea - which was granted. To further review, the breakfast offered was OK but none of the bread was especially fresh, some of the staff unkempt, including the Maitre D. On the plus side the concierge staff were excellent and very helpful.
I am being critical but I wounder how may large older Hotels get by on the historic nature of the Building.

I have clicked the no to 'Would I reccomend this hotel to a friend' but it is not clear cut. I just think they could do more with what they have.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank maforfsaf
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2010

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for this feedback and your email sent to the hotel. As mentioned I will be looking into the matter once I recieved some further information about your stay as we couldn't find your booking?? which we found quite strange. I can only apologise again and highlight that this problem has not arisen before so I will be interested to find out which room it was that has a bed that has failed to live up to the most basic of requirements: a good nights sleep as that is our stock in trade. No complaints about beds either side of your stay. But once you get back in touch I'm sure we'll be able to get to the bottom of the matter.

I should add that our staff on reception can't recall such a conversation and we have nothing in any of our other feedback avenues to assist with your stay so please get back in touch and we'll solve what is a failry straightforward observation that we can look into solving.

I should add that our bread for breakfast arrives daily baked from a local bakery and I have let the team in breakfast know that their presentation is commented upon by guests and if they failed to live up to expectations then they have failed to meet our standards and there will be improvement please be assured.

Reviewed 4 December 2010

My husband and I love the Midland and have stayed there a few times. Everything about the hotel is great which is why we keep going back, but this time we found getting to sleep a little difficult. We had a room facing the inside of the building overlooking the central reception area glazed roof and there was a constant noise coming from somewhere in this area, it was like a motor running maybe the airconditioning unit. We explained it to the receptionist and she said she would get someone to take a look and that we could have a room on the outer side of the hotel next time. We certainly won't let this put us off the hotel as we love it but we will certainly choose a different room on our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2010

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We have been able to identify what the problem was and can confirm it was a faulty room air-conditioning Unit which has since been repaired but I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Although all 312 of our bedrooms are air conditioned this doesn't normally come up as a problem for us and so our maintenance team believe it was due to the sudden cold snap.

If you would be kind enough to make contact prior to your next visit I would be delighted to organise matters for you so that we exceed your expectations. Thanks also for the kind comments about the hotel generally and your experiences in the past here at The Midland.