“fantasic stay”
Review of The Midland

Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 14 February 2011

fantasic stay, great breakfast manager with the spikey hair will return

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your review the Breakfast Manager that you highlighted was Alan who I'm sure will be delighted with the mention.

We look forward to your return soon.

The Midland

Write a ReviewReviews (5,212)

Reviewed 13 February 2011

In my opinion this is a lovely hotel, first class service, i would recommend .

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and for your kind words

Many thanks

Reviewed 11 February 2011

We had a great time at the Midland. Check-in was speedy and the staff very polite. We were more than happy with our room, the entrance was roomy with an extra large wardrobe, The bedroom was spacious and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was large and spotless with ample toiletries provided. We had drinks in the bar which had a nice ambience. Breakfast was tasty with plenty of choice. I would certainly recommend this hoel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks so much for your kind comments regarding your stay with us and thank you in advance for recommending The Midland to future guests.

We look forward also to your return and as with all of our guests if I can assist in any future bookings I'd be delighted to assist.

Reviewed 11 February 2011

This was our second visit to the Midland and we were just as pleased this time as we were the first. On this occasion it was to celebrate my birthday and so we had booked the afternoon tea in the Octagon room - a lovely experience from start to finish - service was wonderful, everything excellently presented (the scones tasted particularly heavenly) and it was a good job we had booked a late dinner as we were very full. We had booked a Fantastc Friday package and this was excellent value as the choice for Dinner was excellent as was the quality of the food. Our room was a King size, very quiet and the beds are really wide and so very comfy. Yes, the drinks are expensive but the whole ambience of this hotel and the service in the bar and lounge areas in our view make it worth it. One particularly good point ,in my view, was that the pianist played a great range of music not just classical stuff but modern music including the occasional Take That tune -must have known it was my birthday -fab! Breakfast was delicious with a great choice. The only minor criticism we had was that we asked for a refill of our coffee pot which never arrived but other than that a truely wonderful birthday treat. We have booked again for my husbands birthday in May and can't wait. Have already recommended the Fantastic Friday package to friends.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Fantastic Feedback thankyou. Delighted that once again we delivered for you and I'm especially pleased that Lol, our Resident Pianist, recieved a mention as we feel his contribution is peerless. After the overwhelming success of our festive afternoon tea where we had a pianist playing in the afternoon's we've decided to extend this on saturdays and Lol has agreed to do this for us whilst continueing to do Thurs, Fri and Sat evenings.

I look forward to your return and thanks for the recommendation and words as it gives the team the spur to continue delivering a great experience for our guests.

Reviewed 9 February 2011

Well where do I start? I have written down or spoken about this so often with the hotel that I am fed of thinking about it but, here I go. I booked the ball for my husband, myself and two of our friends. On arrival at the hotel there was a dreadful queue and not one member of staff came and apologised for the inconvenience. The young man that checked us in was charming and helpful - a much needed plus! The rooms were beautiful just as long as you weren't bothered about a view! The drinks and snacks in the fridge were outrageously priced but in this kind of hotel you expect that. There was a champagne reception for 30 minutes before the start of the ball - we went down for this and had to queue, once again, for ONE glass of champagne. It seems that they had 'run out of glasses', surely they knew exactly how many guests they had at the hotel and they should have had more than enough champagne flutes. Whilst we were queuing guests who had managed to locate a flute or glass were constantly walking past us to have their glasses refilled. Eventually we were given a small glass of champagne served in a very small wine glass - this is not what is to be expected from a hotel of this class. No apology was given. The ball - well the room was beautiful, the band fantastic, the disco great, the food, hmmmm, just let me think!! The food for the meat eaters I am assured was super I wish that I culd say the same for us vegetarians, the food was the worst that I have ever tasted. I really don't wish to go into all aspects of this menu but suffice to say that there were 3 vegetarians on our table and not one of us ate our meal. I spoke to one of the waiters about it and he said he would tell the chef!!!!!! No replacement was offered for any of the courses this was an absolute disgrace. I went to the reception and complained there about the meal and the same response was given 'I will tell the chef'. I asked if he would like to ask me any questions and he looked at mne as though I was dense, my name, my room number I said to him, 'Oh, yes'. He was definately interested, I don't think. I sat and ate a slice of dry bread in our room at 1.30 because I was so hungrey. In the morning we arranged to meet our friends for breakfast on arrival at the breakfast room we were told that it was full and that we had to wait for a new room to be made ready - just what forewarde thinking w3ent on in this hotel? We didn't have breakfast with our friends and that took the shine even further off our stay.

Once again I went to the reception and made a complaint I was assured that it would be looked into and that they would love for us to stay with them again. I am still waiting for them to contact me, they have been so rude, it was an expensive night and one that we had looked forward to for so long. One of their managers will reply to this email and, I'm sure will say that I have had the grand sum of £20 paid back onto my credit card, well let me assure nthem that that doesn't cut the mustard the meal was far more expensive than that, the champagne reception didn't happen since when would £20 compensate for all of that? I want the full price of the meal repaid but I'm sure that I won't get it.

My advice for anyone wanting to stay at the Midland is 'buyer beware' once they have your money they don't care. I did tell them that I would put a review on Trip Advisor, as I do for all of our trips, but, hey they are above any criticism it seems.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank melodymcgrath
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us. As I recall our response during your meal when you highlighted disappointment with the vegetarian choice was to offer to cook you and your fellow guests anything at your suggestion as what we offered, then offered as an alternative and then offered as a further alternative didn't meet your expectation so I'm not sure what more we could have done.

Thanks for the feedback on the food that your fellow guests recieved however and for your comments about the reception drinks and most of the staff. Please note the event included a glass of champagne which was what you recieved, eventually, due to a surge in demand and a small delay in service as some guests who arrived early decided to take more than one glass. All of our champagne glasses are the same size so I'm alittle confused about your comment in relation to glass size.

We prepare, cook and serve thousands of vegetarian, vegan, coeliac, gluten free and other dietary needs both for medical and moral reasons each year and did so successfully at your event to others satisfaction and then some and I'd be delighted to show you the feedback.

I remain dissapointed that we failed to please you and your two friends on that evening as our aim is always to please all of our guests all of the time.

With breakfast I know that we don't guarantee anyone a reserved table especially at a time unknown to a group of guests that sound like they arrived in smaller groups. No booking was requested or taken from you so I am at a loss to understand how you could have assumed otherwise.

On a morning with 600+ guests in house having extended breakfast, opened all of our restaurants as the demand was being met and having put sufficient staff on duty to look after our guests I'm certain that we got it right not wrong. I can only assume that our vegetarian choice at breakfast was to your approval but like everyone in the industry will know although we put breakfast on for 4 hours 80%+ of guests will invariably arrive in the 90 minute time slot of 9.15 - 10.45 and as I said we kept breakfast running until well beyond midday to ensure everyone was looked after. If we asked you to wait a short while so that we were able to deliver breakfast to you with a table for the right size of your party at that time and without a complaint about the service or the food I think we got that part far more right than wrong for you but I understand your concerns and we'll look to improve where we can but I doubt it will be by reserving tables for groups of guests.

More rather than 'buyer beware' I would encourage our 'guests to prepare' by reading the overwhelmingly positive feedback on a number of customer driven sites such as this one about how hard our team work to do a great job for our guests.

I agree also with you that Croma is a great restaurant.

Reviewed 7 February 2011

The staff and service at the midland are second to none. The staff bend backwards to help. We stayed with a 6 year old, 3 year old and 4 month old baby. Despite this being a classy and really quite posh establishment we were made to feel completely comfortable and welcomed by the staff. They even provided a childrens menu and colouring in the lovely wyvern restaurant.
I have stayed in many top hotels all over the world and I think this is possibly the best. A chance to spoil ourselves without having to leave the children behind. Look forward to returning next time we're in Manchester.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your very kind remarks. It's especially pleasing as you have highlighted such satisfaction in looking after you and your young family in what is sometimes considered to be just a business orientated city centre hotel as we have thousands of families that we look after each year successfully.

Great feedback for the team which is appreciated and delighted to read that you will return in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 February 2011

Stayed here recently on a conference. Room was spacious and clean, bed was really comfortable. Hotel generally very clean; however there were a few things that let it down slightly for me. 1. The bath is not full size. I'm 5'6" and I had to put my feet up on the wall above the taps. 2. The tap water in the bath was tepid and the controller was damaged so water poured from the shower as well as the tap. 3. The bath had dirt/grit on the bottom as if someone with muddy boots had been standing in it. 4. The TV reception wasn't great. Other than that, a good choice for business and leisure as it is right in the middle of town.

• Stayed: February 2011
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your comments. We can and will do something about the controller in the bath you mentioned and our maintenance team will be onto that matter post haste. All of our baths are the same size and being 6' 1" I have to say I haven't had much trouble with our bath size and cleanliness; although I have to admit I generally prefer a shower.

I take on board also your comments regarding TV reception and finally would like to say how pleased I was that overall you were happy with your stay as a business guest in the centre of Manchester city commerce.

Kind regards